Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

New iMacs next week?

by MacBook man / April 24, 2008 12:48 PM PDT

Ok, I was wondering if people had anything to say about the article on gizmodo

http://gizmodo.com/383708/updated-imacs-coming-next-week

It states that new iMacs are coming next week. I've been waiting for the iMacs to get new processors. Just wanted to see if anyone felt its true or not.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New iMacs next week?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New iMacs next week?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The few items you know to look for are...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 24, 2008 12:54 PM PDT
In reply to: New iMacs next week?

Multi-touch as noted but if you find any display with CCFLs you can rest assured that these will be replaced.

Collapse -
RE: New iMacs next week?
by dj_erik / April 25, 2008 10:45 AM PDT

I'd be willing to bet that they are going to update the iMac line soon. Whether that's next week, or a few months is up for debate. I'm actually a big fan of MacRumors timeline:
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

It's not the most accurate, but does seem to give you a general feel if it's worth waiting for a bit before the big plunge.

Collapse -
Probably soon, but maybe not next week
by tleMega / April 26, 2008 2:56 AM PDT

Knowing Apple, they could update the iMac line tomorrow or in a month. But, the iMacs could use the upgrade to Penryn processors. The Mac Mini needs it too.

I would recommend waiting for the refresh before purchasing one, should anybody need a new iMac or Mini. Considering that Apple is bound to release something new before WWDC, or at least at WWDC, it won't be that long of a wait.

-BMF

Collapse -
You know what I would like to see?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 26, 2008 8:22 AM PDT

Glad you asked:

I would like to see Apple, or ATI, produce a decent set of drivers for the ATI Radeon HD2600 (and derivatives) which is currently in all the iMacs.

I would like ALL the capabilities of that card, on a par with the drivers that are used in Windows machines with the same card, being utilized on the Mac side.

I don't know all the tech ins and outs, but I do know that X-Plane has had to dumb down the graphics on that program for the Intel Mac's with that series of cards.

P

Collapse -
I would like Nvidia cards
by tleMega / April 26, 2008 1:44 PM PDT

Apple is always mixing things up with their graphics card selections. Now, I prefer the Nvidia cards used in the MacBook Pros now rather than the ATI card they used to have, but I would prefer the ability to choose one or the other like the Mac Pro. Of course, Apple wouldn't give you too many options, but having to choose between two cards is better than being set with just one. I would like to see an option for Nvidia cards in the next update.

Rumors of the hard drive changes don't bother me much. Graphics and clock speeds are the only things in this update that may catch my eye.

Anyway, I'm hoping for a Mini update. That would give me more reason to go get one... Happy
The only thing Apple needs to worry about updating is their display line. Those things need to be revamped. And price-cuts would be very nice. And while I add to this growing list of things Apple should include here, I think they should reintroduce an external iSight camera of some sort for use with a Mac Mini or Pro.

-BMF

Collapse -
What do you know
by tleMega / April 28, 2008 8:24 AM PDT

Nvidia cards for the 24-inch models. I would have liked that option available for the 20-inch line too, but that's definitely an improvement. Besides, combine that with the 3.06Ghz CPU and you have a sweet deal. The 20-inch models are also a bit more expensive too, so if anyone was in the market, might as well spring for the larger machine. Or a Mac Pro with just one of the quad-core processors.

Not bad at all. Now the Mini and the old displays are up next.

-BMF

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?