Mac Applications forum

General discussion

New Imac user

I'm an old PC user who got religion and bought an imac (24" screen) about a month ago. One of the smarter things I've done in many years.

I will admit to using XP (Parallels) because of a couple of must have XP programs and to get my printer to work.

I more I use OS X the more impressed I become.

My questions are as follows:

What utility programs are recommend for tasks like disk defrag and system optimization?

To delete a program do I just drop it in trash? Does this remove all associated files that came with a program, like a PDF file?

I am looking for a graphic program like the Windows based Paint Shop Pro, but not with all the bells and whistles of something like Photo Shop. Recommendations???

I also need a newsreader similar to Forte Agent, if one exists.

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Imac user
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Imac user
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
some answers...

In reply to: New Imac user

What utility programs are recommend for tasks like disk defrag and system optimization?
You don't need them - unless you are doing some really heavy duty video editing work (in which case you probably would not be using an iMac). Really... you don't need them. Don't waste your money. And over time, you will likely install and update - after that happens, you will notice a "Please wait while the system is optimized" message... guess what's happening...

To delete a program do I just drop it in trash? Yes... Then empty the Trash.

Does this remove all associated files that came with a program, like a PDF file? If you drop the whole folder that contains the application, readme files and assorted auxiliary files in the trash, yes (but the folder stays intact in case you change your mind. There may be some small preferences files left over (in the "Library" or elsewhere), but they take up such little space, it isn't even worth the effort to find them to delete them.

I am looking for a graphic program like the Windows based Paint Shop Pro, but not with all the bells and whistles of something like Photo Shop. Recommendations???
Take a look at iPhoto - it is bundled with your new machine - It will take care of Photo editing stuff. If you are making things from scratch, take a look at Corel Paint Essentials... I have not used it - but a couple of members of the Mac User Group I belong to swear by it...

I also need a newsreader similar to Forte Agent, if one exists.
Haven't a clue - maybe someone else can chime in...

Collapse -
PhotoShop Elements

In reply to: some answers...

is a decent graphics program with not too much of a learning curve. It does most of the stuff that Photoshop does, including layers, and is a good moving on point from iPhoto.

No idea about the news reader though

P

Collapse -
Graphic Program

In reply to: New Imac user

After a bit of searching I found just what I need in the way of a graphics program. It's called Graphic Converter X 5.9.4, a full featured program...it's shareware, but only $30 bucks.

See: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/263

Collapse -
Ahh, very low requirements then

In reply to: Graphic Program

GC is primarily used to open just about any graphic image and convert it to something else and is not known for its editing abilities.

But, if it's what you need, great

P

Collapse -
CG

In reply to: Ahh, very low requirements then

It's the about the same as Paint Shop Pro for Windows. I just needed something a few steps above Preview, but well below Photo Shop or the like, with basic editing tools for viewing and editing of graphics used at my web site. It saves me from going into Windows for these tasks.

I am trying to get all the software I need so I don't have to use XP or Vista.

Collapse -
Not a problem.

In reply to: CG

WIth a little more information we could have sent you straight there.

Pleased to see that you are giving OS X fair use and trying to avoid the obvious move of going back to Windows at the slightest problem.

If you need any other suggestions as to what software is available for a particular task, come back here. We'll be glad to help

P

Collapse -
fair use of OS X

In reply to: Not a problem.

If I can find a Usenet reader and get X11 installed so I can install Open Office I'll have no reason to return Windows.

For now I have to go to XP for printing as no drivers exist for my new printer/scanner. I thought a printer was a printer and gave no thought to the fact that drivers would not be available for OS X.

I spend 95% of my time in OS X, but the way windows have to be resized drives me up the wall. I've used Windows thru all of it's incarnations since 3.0. I sorely miss the full screen mode where the program tool bar is part of each program. Old habits die hard especially when you are an old fart like me.

I am convinced that OS X is a better OS and I will stick with it...it's just a matter of breaking years of old habits.

It is my initial impression that if Apple could make the OS system look more like Windows they would get a lot more converts. The CG shell has that look and feel until you open a file and its in a separate window.

Collapse -
Instead of Open Office try NeoOffice.

In reply to: fair use of OS X

Collapse -
Window sizing bugged me for a while too...

In reply to: fair use of OS X

... but now I hardly ever notice it and in fact, XP's window sizing bugs me now Happy

Just keep in mind that you can drag the window to any size you want. After doing that for a while it will become second nature to you. Just grab and drag the lower right hand corner of any window.

Don't forget the Expose' function either. tap the F9 button and all windows show themselves for you to pick whichever you wish to work on. I use the F9, F10, and F11 buttons constantly. Another nice thing about Finder windows is the title in the top of each window. Hover the pointer over the title and press Apple/command button and click on the title. A drop down list of all nested folders will appear to help you locate where the present window your working in is located. A great feature when you've opened a folder directly from the Spotlight search function and want to know where it is located.

grim

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.