HolidayBuyer's Guide

Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

New IE6 problem after newest Security updates

by Steve / June 22, 2005 9:15 AM PDT

Hi,

Posting this question for a friend, she is using IBM Thinkpad, Window's XP PRO SP1 (Afraid to install SP2), IE6 SP's all installed.

Microsoft just FORCED down her throat, the latest round of security Updates at 3AM in the morning, she does NOT have auto install set???

Now the problem, she has a "BLACK screen" every time she closes an IE6 page, but the REAL problem is she opens a page & another small page open's BUT when it closed ALL IE Pages close

Any Idea's?
Thanks,

Steve

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New IE6 problem after newest Security updates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New IE6 problem after newest Security updates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like spyware to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 10:22 AM PDT

What are they doing about spyware?

Collapse -
Spyware I've looked
by Steve / June 23, 2005 6:32 AM PDT

Hi Robert,

As usual you are quick to respond & I really appreciate all of your help as a moderator, yes I at first suspected spyware myself, but I think I've eliminated that possibility on her machine. Ran AD-AWARE with the latest definitions installed 21.06.2005. Ran Spybot S&D 1.4 after searching for & installing definitions. I ran CWShredder as you always suggest that. She has Norton A/V 2003 running with the latest Virus def's installed.

To prove or disprove the latest round of security updates forced onto her machine at 3AM on June 16th, I want to roll back her machine, as each KBxxxxxx installed it created a restore point. Just wondering if anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks again,

Steve

Collapse -
Rollback and test. But how about this challange.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2005 6:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Spyware I've looked

Email me the HIJACKTHIS log via the email link at my profile for a look under the hood. So far, about 1 in 10 machines have come up clean.

It's always interesting to see what's out in the wild.

Bob

Collapse -
The challenge
by Steve / June 23, 2005 6:50 AM PDT

Hey Bob,

It will have to be tomorrow because I won't have access to her machine until then, I'll run a HIJACKTHIS & E-MAIL you the LOG as you requested. I also agree that it seem implausible that a microsoft security update would cause this (& yes as U stated earlier it still smells like spyware) so I'm up to the challenge if U have the time to look at the log. Look for it tomorrow in your inbox.

Thanks One more time,

Steve

Collapse -
Just FYI... I have a big demo tomorrow...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2005 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: The challenge

So the sooner the better for that logfile. But Saturday I'll be back on schedule.

Bob

Collapse -
In direct answer to your question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2005 6:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Spyware I've looked

I have yet to see this effect from the patches or updates at the office. (Some 100 machines.)

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
More Info on the updates
by Steve / June 23, 2005 7:38 AM PDT

Hi Bob,

I still agree with you analysis, here is some more info on the Updates Microsoft Forced in overnight if anyone has a comment:

KB883939
KB890046
KB893066
KB896358
KB896422
KB896426
KB896428
KB896458
KB897716

Thanks,

Steve

Collapse -
Microsoft just FORCED down her throat
by Cursorcowboy / June 23, 2005 9:24 PM PDT

1. The article [Q306525] explains how to configure the Automatic Updates features to include how to download updates and drivers from the Windows Update Catalog.

2. The article [Q327838] explains the Automatic Updates feature that you can use to specify the schedule that Windows follows to install updates on your computer.

Note: Also be advised that if you disable the AutoUpdate service by accessing the AutoUpdate properties page and set the computer for manual updates, the AutoUpdate icon disappears from the notification area but the by design automatic update service is not deactivated, [Q283151].

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.