PC Hardware forum

General discussion

New HP PC Can't burn DVD

by cookrd1 / July 15, 2005 4:42 AM PDT

A friend has a newer HP Media Center, all options. He tells me that he could rarely burn a DVD - if ever. When tries to burn a DVD, the HP/Sonic software tells him an error occurred with no other help. Something happens as the DVD is then unuseable in other computer or DVD burner, but he gets this message real quick after inserting a DVD. Tried all brands of DVD's with same luck. Loaned him my USB2 DVD burner - and my blank DVD's - with same result. Tried another DVD burning program with the same result. Any ideas?
Bob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New HP PC Can't burn DVD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New HP PC Can't burn DVD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Most likely due to trying
by Ray Harinec / July 15, 2005 4:48 AM PDT

to copy copyrighted DVD's. Ask for further help will probably cause a Moderator to pull the plug and/or lock the thread.

HP is not about to tell him, most DVD burn software simply says error.

Collapse -
re: most likely due to SONIC
by buster / August 3, 2005 1:10 PM PDT

I too, am having the same problem. Three day old hp computer. All the new hp computers seem to use the same sonic software and burner drive. So far wasted two blank dvd's and my drive is presently locked closed and wont open after trying unsuccessfully to burn a cd. Not sure whether bad batch of drives, but I'm more inclined to think software. Brand new computer isn't supposed to crash its dvd drive, but I've had bad luck with sonic software before. I had installed a liteon drive on a previous computer last year and it came with a version of the sonic suite. Would only burn cds readable on the computer. I installed some older NTI burning software and that drive has worked like a charm since. Although the NTI software wont do lightscribe, for the present 2 dollars a disk price premium for light scribe, I'll use a sharpie! Anyway, I'll let you know how I make out after I use the NTI burner. I definitely think the sonic software is a dog (If the sonic software was so great, why did sonic buy roxio?!)
Art

Collapse -
re:
by Alan Copeland / August 3, 2005 1:14 PM PDT

I have a 2 month old HP and I have burned half a dozen or more DVD and at least as many CDs with it to date. I have not had a problem except with the aforementioned issue of trying to back up a copy protected DVD.

Since both machines are still under warranty I would take it up with HP. You never know, they might even comp you a few blank media.

Collapse -
RE
by damasta55r / August 3, 2005 1:32 PM PDT
In reply to: re:

Most likely the first guy is trying to copy a proteced cd/dvd. As for the other person, you either got a bad drive or managed to screw it up yourself. Can you try manually opening the drive? Is it recognized in mycomputers. I say if you encounter problems, contact HP and depending on the outcome, maybe a new computer somewhere else. Gateway looks good.

Roger

Collapse -
drive is presently locked closed and wont open
by jcrobso / August 4, 2005 2:47 AM PDT

Power of then power on it will open, or use a paper clip in the small hole in the front of the drive to release the drawer. John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.