TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

New Home Theater Speaker System Update

by hyghwayman / December 11, 2007 10:18 PM PST

Howdy everyone,

After two years of listening to tiny Curtis HTIB 5.0 (40W) speaker system and a (40W) powered sub w/ my VSX-816k Pioneer Receiver, I'm taking the plunge into better speakers. This has been a very long and time consuming process. The hardest part was/has been convincing the wife of the need to spend upwards of a grand on speakers and auditioning the speakers, when the current Curtis speakers still work - LoL.

So here is the speakers I'm going with;
* SVS SBS-01 - L/R and Surrounds
* SVS SCS-01 - Center Channel
* SVS PB10-NSD - Sub
The Total package price w/ shipping will be about $1,187.43
http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs.cfm

Any thoughts or comments welcomed,
hyghwayman

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Home Theater Speaker System Update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Home Theater Speaker System Update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
long time no see you post
by jostenmeat / December 12, 2007 2:38 AM PST

What else have you heard or liked? On one hand ID brands have a reputation for superb value, otoh, once they get in your home the sale is 95% finished. Curiously, what receiver will drive them?

IIRC, you have a modest room, with XBR crt?

Anyways, once that set gets in your room, its over. It'll blow that htib the hell out of the water. Should be fun! I think even the wife might feel better about her reluctant approval!

If you really want to make sure, I would audition speakers, etc. If and when you find the model you really like, find a way to be able to take them for in-home audition. Time this audition with the SVS arrival. Well, its just an idea... keep us updated...

Collapse -
My Very Modest HT Upgrade
by hyghwayman / December 13, 2007 2:27 AM PST

Jostenmeat,
Thanks for the reply.

The receiver I am using now is the Pioneer VSX-816k, it's the 1st receiver I've ever owned and love it. When I bought it in later 2006 HDMI and HD audio wasn't where it is today and I just wanted to test the waters, knowing that in a few years I would upgrade to a receiver that could handle the newer HD audio specs. completely. I took the same approach when buying my 1st HDTV as I did w/ the receiver. In a few years both the Pioneer 816 and Sony 970 will be in the bedroom or play room.

The speakers I've been able to hear have been from Polk Audio, Boston Acoustics, KLH, Klipsch and Pioneer all in store listening. I kinda like them all, heck I even like the little Curtis HTIB speakers I'm using now - LoL.
I was over at my bosses house a few weeks ago and heard his sweet system and am sold on SVS. He has the identical speakers that I'm ordering in a much bigger room and it sounded great.
You are correct about the modest room size and CRT (Sony KD-34XBR970).

My next quest will be the DVD player, I'm leaning right now towards HD DVD over Bluray. The recent price drops have made it hard not to buy right now but I'm waiting to see if they will come out with a HD recorder in a the next year or two. I'm thinking about the same time I upgrade the TV will be when I make my choice on which format I will buy into.

hyghwayman

Collapse -
And thanks to you for your update.
by jostenmeat / December 13, 2007 4:56 AM PST

Ah you are lucky to be able to hear them first! How do they look in real life? very beautiful? How would you decribe the sound? (I know this is difficult for many that do hear many differences, but just do not know how to explain it).

Nice tv. Nice sound system. Nice man cave?!

I think you, grc, and Ben are going to have to come up with a secret SVS handshake. Can I join as an honorary member? Silly

Collapse -
Why not get jostenmeats NADs he is going to replace?
by NM_Bill / December 13, 2007 10:45 AM PST

Really fine power & quality at what should now be a fine price. Of course I haven't any idea off hand how far away you live from his Southern Cal - as heavy freight weight adds up way too fast.

Collapse -
Sorry, but neither are for sale.
by jostenmeat / December 13, 2007 11:42 AM PST

Im keeping my amp, and am trading in the pre/pro for a component of my choice with the dealer. I will eat a few hundred dollars on it. That's fine, because I realize I'd like several features that it does not offer. If and when I do so, it will be mid January at the earliest, and I don't see a $300 rental for 8 months on an audiophile-level unit as completely horrific.

Im kind of glad on this point that I listened to you, as the only person to tell me to forget everything and go NAD. In fact, you were quite impatient. A bit annoyed in fact that I would consider other better products. Everyone else said to splurge more and go at least Outlaw, including dealers I've met, Polk CS reps, ML forum regulars, etc. But since I spent less, I'll lose less. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Congrats...
by grc24 / December 17, 2007 12:30 PM PST

I wonder if your eyes will fall out of your head like mine did when the delivery man unloads the box that the sub is packed in. My first thought? "My wife is going to S**T."

Have fun.

grc

Collapse -
thx
by hyghwayman / December 18, 2007 8:52 AM PST
In reply to: Congrats...

After looking back at the specs and seeing the;
Size: 15" wide x 19" high x 21" deep

I believe I may be able to use this as an end table too! HeHe

hyghwayman

Collapse -
3 years later...
by hyghwayman / January 2, 2011 9:11 AM PST
In reply to: thx

Well guys I'm sorry to say those SVS speakers never found thier way into my life.

Family illness, 2 job changes and a new house derailed my speaker plans but not my desire. I have thrown out those little wimppy speakers and got a nice pair of 100w bookshelf speakers that sound 1000x better.

All the best!
Hyghwayman

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?