General discussion

New Home Build

Anyone have any tips on preparing to build a home and planning ahead for a media room and other audio zones?

I plan on prewiring the house for 7.1 in the media room and probably running wire for a pair of speakers in each additional room of the house.

Any tips would be really appreciated.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: New Home Build
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: New Home Build
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Lots to plan

Way too many things could be pre wired for, and there are many different opinions out there about how to prepare your new home.
To ensure you don't miss anything, it might be worth a trip to a local custom install firm. Even if you plan on doing it yourself, paying for a proper design and understanding of what and why you may want to add certain wires or conduit to various locations will be worth the cost.
A CI firm can also help establish a budget for your wish list.

- Collapse -
Amen

Congrats new home builder for thinking of this when it's just SOOO much more convenient to do it up front. True the opitions could get out of hand complex. I really do suggest you find a good installer and pay for a modest analysis/plan. You'll be SOOO content you did it right up front. With satisfaction the cost will be well spent.

- Collapse -
jnav CUSTOM INSTALL THE ONLY WAY TO GO

And in the end you will probably save money. I found a store here in San Jose ca. I have bought all my home theater equipment from them. Even thou I do all the installation myself these folks treat me like a king and awsome customer service, If you live in the s.f. bay area email me and I will give you there phone #. Just remember to spend as much as you can afford on speakers, That is going to make or break your home theater pleasae post back to us and let us know how this project turns out have a nice day stewee

CNET Forums

Forum Info