Cameras forum

General discussion

New here and have a few questions about Nikon d40

by CBASSGSX / October 18, 2007 9:22 AM PDT

I am looking to purchase this camera and would like some pointers on the best place to buy it as far as quality and price. I also would like to know what lens to start out with that isn't too confusing to work. I have found a website called expresscameras.com and am seriously considering getting the executive d40 package with the 18-70 wide angle auto focus lens and the 70-300 auto focus lens. Is this a good place to purchase and what accessories do you highly recommend if any. what do you think of the 18-55mm lens as well? Thank you in advance!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New here and have a few questions about Nikon d40
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New here and have a few questions about Nikon d40
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Regarding expresscameras.com
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 18, 2007 10:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
I would also like to ask if ebay sellers are okay......
by CBASSGSX / October 18, 2007 9:09 PM PDT

to buy this stuff from. If so which ones? They are not listed on this website. Are they most likely going to be black market cameras? thanks again.

Collapse -
on line purchase
by hjfok / October 19, 2007 6:30 AM PDT

Perhaps you should stick with the trustworthy sellers like amazon.com, bhphotovideo.com or adorama.com. You may spend a hair more, but you won't lose hair or sleep worrying about the purchase.

Collapse -
Re: eBay sellers.
by Kees Bakker / October 19, 2007 6:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
Expresscameras.com is bad news
by kimmys3angels / December 9, 2007 9:51 AM PST

Expresscameras.com needs to be shut down. I?d have a hard time believing this unless it happened to me. I bought a Canon XTi camera and a 75-200 zoom lens package for $489 on 12/4/07. Should have known, the price was too low. They called my wife when I was out of town and put the sales pitch on her on 12/5. All the items added increased the price to $799. Most of the items he convinced her to add were suppose to be included in the package I bought. So, we got a battery and 512Kb more memory ($39 for 2Gig on other net sites) and switched to a lesser lens (Off brand 28-70, I?ve read they're black market) for an additional $310. The free shipping showed up as $49 on the invoice. I read the reviews on these guys on CNet on 12/9/07 and asked my wife about the added details. I quickly decided to cancel the order. I called Adam, the same guy who spoke to my wife. Apparently he has many aliases based on other complaints. When I told him I wanted to cancel the order he called me ?an idiot,? ?a worthless piece of sh*t,? ?sh*t for brains,? ?a low life idiot? etc. This is just a small sample of the numerous personal obscene insults I heard for the next 10 minutes from this clown. It seemed surreal to be talked to like this. After hitting the roof at first, I began to laugh at his insults ? he was on a roll. I started to write them down and was not responding back. He asked if I hung up and why I was so quiet. I said ?I am stunned that a customer service rep from a legitimate business could talk to a customer like he did.? He said, ?Yah, I?m sure you?re stunned every time you look in the mirror.? He called me ?cheap,? ?small time,? and said I have ?no b*lls? for canceling the order. He also said ?You?re the kind of guy who buys a Mercedes and thinks he owns the road, and then complains about getting ripped off on the car.? We own a Jeep, not a Mercedes. He threatened numerous times to call my local police and file a harassment claim on me. After all this, he said he was recording the call and I was harassing him. Imagine that. He said he would be calling the credit card company and filing an unauthorized use of a credit card claim against me. He even said he was coming down from New Jersey to take care of me and my wife. I asked who owns this company and he said he was one of the guys near the top. We will not be accepting the delivery from UPS and my wife has contested the $799 charge on her credit card. She even canceled the card number so the shipping and return to stock fee would not be added. Hard to believe these guys stay in business. They operate under various names on the net. If it looks too good, stay away.

I?ll be filing a complaint with the New Jersey Attorney General?s office and the BBB.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.