Speakeasy forum

General discussion

New healthy food ... Pizza ????

by Bill Osler / August 13, 2007 9:24 PM PDT

Well, maybe, but it's not your father's pizza:

New 'anti-wrinkle' pizza causes a stir with pie purists in Italy - Yahoo! News
A so-called "anti-wrinkle" pizza created by a nutritionist in southern Italy has caused a stir, with pizza purists protesting against the desecration of the national dish.

The "primula" pizza is made up of three times the amount of fibre found in a classic pizza and boasts that it contains more magnesium and iron, thanks to its ingredients, including wholemeal flour, La Stampa newspaper reported Monday.

No word on how it tastes. The Pope reportedly 'loves' it but what do Germans know about pizza?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New healthy food ... Pizza ????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New healthy food ... Pizza ????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Fiber is good, we know,
by drpruner / August 14, 2007 1:30 AM PDT

but why does it have to be in pizza? Does the baking make a difference? Also "whole grain" is good, as well as paying attention to trace elements. All these things are available already.

BTW, Haninger will be on you in a minute. He's very pro-German. Happy

Collapse -
I heard that but resisted
by Steven Haninger / August 14, 2007 1:47 AM PDT

because the worst pizza I ever had was from Carolina...well, S.C. but what's the difference. Gotta' run.....quickly. BTW, I'm more Czech and not pro-German though I did own a VW once. Happy

Collapse -
Oops.
by drpruner / August 14, 2007 6:37 AM PDT

Did I say that out loud? Happy

Collapse -
Oh, there's nothing wrong with Germans ...
by Bill Osler / August 14, 2007 6:11 AM PDT

I just don't know whether an old German preacher is any judge of pizza.

Collapse -
And rigid in his theology, as well.
by drpruner / August 14, 2007 6:43 AM PDT

German Protestants are

Luther.

Collapse -
Need to hurry and grab up
by Steven Haninger / August 14, 2007 1:43 AM PDT

Florida and California franchise rights. Happy

Collapse -
Pizza has always been healthy
by duckman / August 14, 2007 1:46 AM PDT

Unless you eat too much of it

Collapse -
That's exactly what I was going to say...
by EdH / August 14, 2007 1:49 AM PDT

must be some kind of "pack" mentality.

Collapse -
(NT) *chuckle*
by duckman / August 14, 2007 2:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Indeed.
by Bill Osler / August 14, 2007 6:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
I always thought it was healthier....
by Josh K / August 14, 2007 5:39 AM PDT

....than the "fast food" image it has would suggest. One slice of pizza can have nearly piece of the "food pyramid" represented. Our daughter doesn't like the taste of milk so pizza is one of the ways we get her to consume dairy products.

Collapse -
Size matters ...
by Bill Osler / August 14, 2007 6:14 AM PDT

As someone else already pointed out, common sense and restraint do affect the health issues connected to pizza.

I realize that pizza has a variety of ingredients that offer various food groups, various phytonutrients and such. And it tastes good.

Still, most pizza is made with enough fat and salt that it is hard to use it as a substantial portion of a balanced diet.

Collapse -
My suggestion is to make your own pizza.
by dirtyrich / August 14, 2007 7:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Size matters ...

It's easy and fun, plus you can limit the bad nutrients and maximize the good nutrients.

If you buy the dough at a supermarket, it takes all of 10-15 minutes to slap on toppings and another 15-20 minutes to cook, depending on the oven.

Collapse -
I used to do that a lot ...
by Bill Osler / August 14, 2007 10:19 AM PDT

I agree that it is easy in principle to make good pizza. Somehow I was never very reliable at translating it into practice. Let's just say I'm better off in my current job than I would have been as a pizza baker. The good news is that my pizzas never tasted as bad as the looked ... but that isn't saying much since they looked pretty bad.

I eventually gave up.

Collapse -
OTOH
by C1ay / August 14, 2007 6:34 AM PDT

One slice of pizza is enough to push my blood sugar exceedingly high and keep it there for an extended time. I love it but the onset of diabetes removed it from my diet.

Collapse -
Good thought on the dairy.
by drpruner / August 14, 2007 6:54 AM PDT

In my poverty-stricken student days, and before I was a Christian, I was a regular seller of my blood plasma. I recall the technicians telling me to eat less cheese- which I like- because it did something to my body that made the blood flow slower. I don't know if that was true, or if they said it because it took them longer to take my pint. I eat lots of cheese now in my old age, and my ticker keeps on ticking. (Wait ... let me check ... Yep, it's OK)

Collapse -
Sure you got some good steaks down there....
by Terry Browne / August 14, 2007 3:41 PM PDT

but don't you miss Lombardi's, Grimaldi's, Totonno's and Di Fara's? Those ovens are still going hot here...

Devil

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?