TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

New HDTV will arrive soon/ Need help/Satellite, DVR,install

by Prandy / May 2, 2007 6:03 AM PDT

DishNetwork vs DirecTV - Should I switch?
A new Sony KDL-40V2500 40" Bravia LCD 1080p will arrive in a week or so. I currently have DirecTV (including a real TIVO) and plan to keep our current conventional 32" Sony as second TV along with the TIVO. Dish Network offers better short term introductory price and more HD channels, but DirecTV will be offering another 50+ HD signals in the next few months. DirecTV wants to charge $200 for an HD-DVR, sign a two year contract to essentially pay for the new HD outside Dish, and charge $10 per month for the HD signal on top of my regular rate. Dish provides the HD DVR for free but charges $20 per month extra for the HD Signal - but only requires an 18 month contract for the HD signal Dish installation and provides a $20 per month rebate for 10 months. It appears in the end, Dish Network will be less expensive BUT if the service, signal quality, or DVR is inferior to DirecTV, it is not worth making the switch. I understand it is not worth paying the absurd price for a genuine TIVO versus a $200 DVR.

Anyone have any comments that might be helpful in making the decision? Also, will my current DirecTV TIVO continue to work on my conventional TV if I switch to DishNetwork or will I have to settle for their regular DVR? Any other comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

BTW: I live in a suburb of Kansas City.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New HDTV will arrive soon/ Need help/Satellite, DVR,install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New HDTV will arrive soon/ Need help/Satellite, DVR,install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DishNetwork

DirecTV will NOT be getting 50+ HD channels, if you ever seen there commercial they say 'Capacity too...'. There is a diffrence of having/getting & being able too.

Dishnetwork has their own DVR's, I got mine for $50 from them & have had it replaced Free 2x's, on my 3rd dvr now. I know about 3-4 months ago for New customers they had a free HD-DVR offer + $10 off for 10 months. & you don't have to pay that Tivo fee anymore. You have to call dishnetwork to get the best price & free goodies.

You have a link for that '$20 per month rebate for 10 months' because sometimes those apply to current customers too if you resign-up for their X # of month contract.

Collapse -
Thanks for input. Link you asked for is in text.
by Prandy / May 2, 2007 8:56 AM PDT
In reply to: DishNetwork

I appreciate you taking the time to write. Link:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/our_products/dish_hd/offer/index.shtml

Unfortunately, fine print says the special offers are for new customers only. ............

In other words, they are just like DirecTV in that regard. Maybe I will call DirecTV and tell them I will switch to Dish Network to get their freebies if DirecTV won't give me what they give to new customers!!!!!

Collapse -
DirecTV Claim to add more HD channels
by Prandy / May 2, 2007 9:18 AM PDT
In reply to: DishNetwork

Here is where I got the number 50 as oppossed to the 100 cliamed by DirecTV.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/01/09/directv-to-carry-100-national-hd-channels-in-2007/

Text:
DirecTV to carry 100 National HD Channels in 2007
Posted Jan 9th 2007 6:15AM by Ben Drawbaugh
Filed under: Industry, Satellite
We sure hope this means that the HD programming race is heating up and it's not just vapor ware. After all 2006 was a slow year for new HD channels. DirecTV has been boasting for some time about the number of HD channels they would have and today they have announced specific channels. The interesting part is that almost none only a few of the channels they announced today are currently offering HD programming. The channels announced today include.

A&E
National Geographic
Bravo
NFL Network
Cartoon Network
SciFi Channel
CNN
Speed
Food Network
TBS
FX
The History Channel
HGTV
The Weather Channel
MTV
USA Network

Currently DirecTV only carries 9 national HD channels and even with this list and as many premium channels we can think of there would still only be 30 HD channels. Throw in 20 or so for regional sports channels and is still only 50% of their claim. As much as we want to believe them, we have our reservations.

**********(Direct already TV carries our four local stations in HDTV here in the Kansas City area).

Collapse -
ONE ADVANTAGE DISH HAS OVER DIRECT T.V.
by stewart norrie / May 3, 2007 5:24 AM PDT

VOOM only $5.00 extraThe hi-def package and VOOM are only $15.00 extra per month with the basic service I also dont need a d.v.r. because with all the excellent hi-def channels and 9 local over the air channels I have tons of hi-def to watch I have the old 811 hi-def system and would never upgrade it because the box has a digital hi-def tuner and also a anolog tuner The darn tuner is so good yhat I receive channel 3 and 13 in Sacromento And I live in san jose ca. with a cheap outside antenna stewe

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?