TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

New HDMI Standard v1.4

by rqallen / January 7, 2010 4:57 AM PST

I am considering the Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K A/V Receiver, particularly since it received the cnet editor's award. However, in doing my "due diligence" I learned that in mid-2009 a new HDMI standard was released called v1.4. From what I have learned, the new standard supports additional bandwidth (which could support the new 3D TVs being announced as well as network connectivity (ethernet). So I sent an inquiry to Pioneer asking if their VSX-1019AH-K A/V Receiver supports the new standard (ie will the additional bandwidth presented at one of the four HDMI inputs be passed through to the output going to the TV? Their answer was no, the VSX-1019AH-K A/V Receiver only supports HDMI 1.3.

Although the Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K A/V Receiver runs about $500, there are other AV receiver that are considerably more expensive. I would think that the cnet reviews may want to highlight the HDMI 1.4 issue as area to consider when making a AV receiver purchase decision.

Anyway, my question is:

Does anyone know of any AV receiver currently available that support the new 1.4 standard?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New HDMI Standard v1.4
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New HDMI Standard v1.4
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There is Nothing that is HDMI 1.4
by givemeaname / January 7, 2010 5:21 AM PST
In reply to: New HDMI Standard v1.4

HDMI 1.4 is more for 4k video, HDMI 1.3 can handle 3D.
It going to be some years until HDMI 1.4 takes hold & there is nothing in the pipelines, TV or Bluray players, that have HDMI 1.4 that I know.
Maybe your thinking USB 3.0 that is come out in 2010 & there are a few motherboard & USB external HHD in the works & will be released soon.

Collapse -
It looks like the home 3d standard has been downgraded
by minimalist / January 7, 2010 12:27 PM PST

so it will work with existing equipment.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Industry_Trends/HDMI/3D/HDMI_1.3_Will_Support_3D_After_All/4002

At first we were told we needed 120 Hz TV's, new Blu-ray players, expensive new LCD shutter glasses and new HDMI connections. Now it looks like they have played it safe. All existing profile 2.0 players can play the movies via a firmware update, the glasses could actually be the less expensive polarized versions (http://ces.cnet.com/8301-31045_1-10427251-269.html), and regular old HDMI 1.3 will handle everything just fine so your existing AV receivers will not have to be tossed. The jury is still out on which TV's will actually support the standard but we will see.

If they really want 3d to take off they have to make it accessible to the mass market, not just the top 10% of consumers.

Collapse -
It just gets more confusing.... now there is a problem w/ FR
by givemeaname / January 8, 2010 7:00 AM PST

Frame rate, 24fps, 30, 60, 120 & so on & pulldown.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/08/blu-rays-3d-spec-isnt-what-it-could-be/

to me it looks like with maybe an update on any 60fps tv and a 3d player on a 60fps you would get 30fps pulldown per eye but then you end up with flicker. & 'older' HDMI 1.3 tv's could do 1080i/30fps per eye. Or if you have a 120hz LCD 1080i/60fps per eye.

Really Bluray & HDMI should have gotten the final 3D spec offical 1 or 2 years ago, not like they are doing now waiting for the last second.

So for you to get 1080p 3D with HD audio it going to cost around $4k+ for the 2010 year. Only the top model tvs are going to be 3D, the most costly ones. Then you need a HDMI 1.4 reciever about a $1k+ there. Then the Shuttler RealD glasses, you only get one pair with that $2.5k+ tv, so you have to go get 2 or 3+ more at around $200ish each. Then there just going to be only 50 3d movies released in 2010. A few bottles of asprin for the headaches from the glasses. Then you have to get the tv pro calibrated for just the 3d because the glasses mess with the colors & brightness, $400 there.

Collapse -
If they are showing off polarized glasses
by minimalist / January 8, 2010 11:50 PM PST

at CES (http://ces.cnet.com/8301-31045_1-10427251-269.html), then somebody, somewhere is obviously using a standard which does not rely on active shutter technology. Which means that the technology may or may not cut your frame rates in half which leads me to believe some of this stuff may in fact work on 60Hz TV's.

I'm hoping the HD Nation guys or Engadget HD will do a complete rundown of all the 3D tech that was introduced this year at CES. It's all so confusing right now. It sounds like their might be competing formats.

If 3D tech has a high cost of entry (new TV, expensive glasses, new HDMI standard, etc) it will fall flat on its face. The people who were interested already bought their big 40" plus TV's in 2007 and 2008. The average TV purchases in 2009 were the much smaller models which means they were like bought as second units for a bedroom. Nobody is going to go pay 2K plus two years later just to see Avatar and some Pixar movies in 3d. http://paidcontent.org/article/419-lets-get-real-why-the-reporting-on-3d-tv-is-mostly-hype/

Collapse -
It is coming
by oscartheclimber / January 7, 2010 8:24 AM PST
In reply to: New HDMI Standard v1.4

Onkyo receivers with HDMI 1.4 will be launched in spring. Sherwood will be launching soon. Most of the bigger TV manufacturers will have products out very soon. Blu Ray players are also set for release. By years end there will be a wide assortment of choices - if you are willing to drop the $$$ to have the cutting edge technology.

Collapse -
by givemeaname / January 7, 2010 10:29 AM PST
In reply to: It is coming

the only 2 things that I have seen on the Cnet or Engadget sites that is HDMI 1.4 is a soundbar from panasonic & a HTIB by Denon.

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-31045_1-10428991-269.html?tag=mncol;title

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-31045_1-10428817-269.html?tag=mncol;title

For now it is just a marketing gimmick, it's going to be 2-3 years until you may need the full use of 1.4 but by then HDMI 1.5 will be out. HDMI 1.3 will do 1080i 3D, it just can not do 1080p. 1.4 is only good for 4Kx2K or 1080p 3D. Since most of the 3D tv's at CES 2010 are using the more costly RealD shutter glasses it (3D) will most likely be just a fad until glasses free 3D tv's come out.
To top it off, HDMI 1.4 has 5 different types of cables, 'HDMI Ethernet Channel', 'Audio Return Channel', '3D Over HDMI', 'Expanded Support For Color Spaces' or 'Automotive Connection System'.

Sherwood... really !!! their still around

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?