Laptops forum

Resolved Question

New HDD required, not sure which to get.

by Saadfb / March 20, 2013 2:18 AM PDT

Soo I couple of days iacocca my hard drive failed as I dropped my laptop. I took it to repair shop to find out what was wrong and was told the hard drive had failed. I was quoted 135 for new new hard drive, installation and windows set up again....i know right, they probably would have put in a really tacky HDD as well (mine was a Seagate sata 250gb 7200rpm) Anyhow Ive been surfing the web to a replacement but there's so much information out there (considering I didn't really know anything about HDD's before)

Anyway I recently came across this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Momentus-ST9750420AS-internal-SATA-3/dp/B004MME0N0

And wanted to know wheather it was a good choice as I came across a few articles which stated the early 'momentous xt' drives had some problems.

Also sorry for the essay, would this be compatible with a HP G62-107sa laptop?

If this is not a good choice is there any chance somebody could point me in the direction of a HDD with at least 250gb and 7200rpm which is under 60 pounds or there shouts???

Thank you in advance

Saadfb has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New HDD required, not sure which to get.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New HDD required, not sure which to get.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Saadfb

Collapse -
My G62 worked fine with the 500GB
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2013 2:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
1st generation Momentus xt?
by Saadfb / March 20, 2013 6:42 AM PDT

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the reply. So was your one of the early xt's released? And if so, did you have any/have any problems with it?

Saad

Collapse -
My 500GB hybrid is alive and well.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2013 6:46 AM PDT

While it's performance is not as stellar as the newer 750 it was a good step up. It was so good I replaced a good working HDD in another laptop at the office.

Both are fine and well. Both were bought and installed about August 2011 and are used every day.
Bob

Collapse -
by Saadfb / March 20, 2013 6:54 AM PDT

Thanks mate

Collapse -
Answer
I'm in the US, but Newegg has it for $89 US
by wpgwpg / March 20, 2013 2:27 AM PDT

I'm not sure about the pound/dollar exchange rate, but see Newegg has this drive for $89, which isn't bad for a 750 GB hard drive. It's 2.5" which is what you'd need. I notice that it's 7200 RPM whereas most laptops use 5400 RPM drives. The 7200 ones are faster, but produce more heat and use a little more power, so I'd check with HP to be sure you don't have a problem in those areas. If you do the job yourself, be sure you know how to reinstall Windows, all your drivers, and any application software you need (e.g. Office, email, etc.).

Good luck.

Collapse -
Roughly equates to the same price
by Saadfb / March 21, 2013 7:42 AM PDT

It's roughly the same amount. I've ordered it now, hopefully it all works out.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.