Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

New Hardware wizard pops up for existing video card

by rnfloyd / August 7, 2010 2:58 AM PDT

My PC is a DELL Dimension E520, running WinXP (SP2). How do I stop the New Hardware wizard from popping up at each bootup?

Background...

I had to re-connect my LCD display via a VGA cable since the DVI output of my video card has failed (shows permanent sleep mode). Since I view my monitor at 1024 x 768, this VGA connection is fine and I don't think I need to replace my video card right now.

With the very same video card installed (but connected via VGA cable), ever time I boot I get the 'Found new hardware' bubble trying to find a driver for my video card. I keep canceling. The drive already installed is working fine. Checking the Device Mgr shows all is happy under 'Display Adapters' (no explanation mark). Also says, "this device is working properly".

My video card is a nVidia GeForce 7300 LE and came with my Dell PC 3.5 years ago.

Thanks for any help.

Rick F.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Hardware wizard pops up for existing video card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Hardware wizard pops up for existing video card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It might be the monitor that's being detected
by Steven Haninger / August 7, 2010 3:19 AM PDT

You might see if a driver exists for that specific model and install it.

Collapse -
might be monitor being detected?
by rnfloyd / August 7, 2010 6:08 AM PDT

Thanks Steven for replying.

You said, "might be monitor that's being detected". Hmm? Maybe so.

When I go to Device Mgr and look under 'Monitor', it shows 'unknown' for driver. The date and version shows 'not available'. Model of monitor shows, '6418068U538LDELL-1907FP' It shows the location as being hooked to my GeForce video card of course, but that's it.

I thought the only driver needed was for the video card. It's the same monitor... a DELL that came with my PC. I have all the drivers I've ever downloaded for the past 3.5 yrs and don't see one listed for the monitor. I do find one on DELL's site for the 1907FPc... says I need R116821. It's only 9K in size. Although the Device Mgr says it's a 1907FP, my purchase receipt from DELL shows 1907FPC.

Do you think I should try to install this? I'm just concerned that if it doesn't work, I won't be able to see any video to 'undo' or do a 'system restore'.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
You did say it pops up for the video card but didn't
by Steven Haninger / August 7, 2010 10:31 AM PDT

mention exactly if and what device was detected. I know that even moving a monitor from one output to another on the same video card can cause the "new hardware found" message so was just bringing up that possibility. But, if the full text of the message you see does reference your card, I am wrong in that thought and searching for the specific driver won't help. I've found that using a manufacturer's drivers and color (ICM) profiles to be the best way to initially set up a monitor rather than go with Windows plug and play. It may, however, be that the defect in your video card is causing this problem and, unless you can disable that DVI port in Windows you're out of luck. I did have older ATI dual head cards where this was possible but don't know about yours.

Collapse -
Needed driver for Monitor
by rnfloyd / August 8, 2010 2:50 AM PDT

Hi Steven,

You wrote... "You did say it pops up for the video card but didn't mention exactly if and what device was detected. I know that even moving a monitor from one output to another on the same video card can cause the "new hardware found" message so was just bringing up that possibility. <snip>"

Well, you were right. I didn't look close enough to the next window of the 'New Hardware Found' bubble that popped up. It WAS looking for a driver for the monitor. I installed the latest that DELL has to offer (R116821 - for DELL 1907FP) and it works fine. Whew!! What's curious to me is that even when I specified to 'look here for driver', the software goes online looking for other possibilities. I canceled once, then back, then said I had a disc, but it's looking for a CD or floppy disc. Can't specify a path when it's on the HDD that way I guess. Well, third time's a charm and it found the driver I had on HDD. Now Device Mgr. says I have a driver installed... version 1.0.0.0 by Dell. It's not digitally signed, but I guess that's okay.

Steven, if you hadn't mentioned the monitor, I would have still been looking for the wrong answer. I didn't even think that WinXP could be looking for a driver for the monitor. Rebooted and no longer get the 'New HDWR detected' bubble.

Thanks again,
Rick F.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.