Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

new hardrive- no audio

I just had a new hardrive put in my computer. There is no sound. When I go to the control panel to the sound, it says there is no audio device. Help!!!!! Step by step directions please.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new hardrive- no audio
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new hardrive- no audio
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More information please!

In reply to: new hardrive- no audio

What kind of computer do you have? It appears that whoever formatted and loaded the operating system on your new disc forgot to install the necessary audio drivers/codecs compliant with your computer's audio hardware(card or chip). It's also possible that the disc was removed from another computer and then "cleaned up" for re-use.

Depending on what kind of computer and audio card you're using, it is possible to download the necessary drivers and/or codecs from the internet. But, more info is needed.

Collapse -
new hardrive- no audio

I have the same problem, done the obvious things....checked the speakers etc. What would a normal check intail?

Collapse -
Did youinstall the Audio drivers after reinstall of OS

Did youinstall the Audio drivers after reinstall of OS

Collapse -
According to .....

...your post -"..have new harddrive put in..." So, did you put in another drive - a new one - ? Has any thing become dislodged during the installation of the new drive ? Go to system Properties>Hardware>Device Manager - any audio devices listed ? (right click "My Computer"-->Properties>Hardware tab-->Device Manager)

OTOH, you might have put in a new drive with a new or reinstallation of the OS, in which case you have to reinstall the audio devices, drivers, etc. etc.....

It helps if you give more information about your computer. Instructions are written in red above the subject title when you made your post.

Collapse -
my computer information

In reply to: According to .....

I have a Dell Dimension 2400. In the control panel, under audio deivces it says there is no audio device. I looked at my itemized reciept from when I got the computer two years agao and it says I have integrated ADI 1885 Audio. I went online and downloaded the driver, and it hasnt helped. whats the next step?

Collapse -
my computer information

In reply to: my computer information

You didn't say if you have installed the driver. If you haven't installed it, do so. Reboot the computer to see if Windows will recognize and install the device.

Collapse -
still no go

I installed the drivers from the cd that came from the computer and installed it, but it still isnt working.

Collapse -
Use your OEM disks

I have personally repaired and reinstalled XP on several Dell 2400's. I'ts actually pretty easy. But you need the Dell CD's that came with your computer. By using the Dell OS disk you can opt for a repair which includes the complete re-installation of all your Dell audio features. You should not use a store bought XP upgrade disk for this as the included audio drivers don't work well with your 2400.

Collapse -
problem solved

In reply to: Use your OEM disks

I was able to solve the problem by going to dells website and downloading the audio driver for my sound card from their website. thanks for everyones help.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.