Computer Help forum

General discussion

New Hard Drives and Windows XP Pre-SP1

by Mahayani / February 16, 2004 12:46 AM PST

I'm building a new computer. Design is a dual boot Win 98 (on a 250GB PATA) and Win XP (I have a pre-SP1 CD) on two 200GB SATA arranged in RAID 1.
Is the size of the boot XP drive limited to 137 MB since there is no SP1, or will the XP operating system drive automatically recognize and adjust its volume over 137GB when the SP1 is downloaded and installed.
I could partition the drive to under 137GB, but I don't see the point in it, seeing as I have a real complete backup with a RAID 1 configuration.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Hard Drives and Windows XP Pre-SP1
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Hard Drives and Windows XP Pre-SP1
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:New Hard Drives and Windows XP Pre-SP1
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 1:19 AM PST

This discussion was a long one and pretty beatup before.

The short answer is you want a XP w/SP1 or you will never be happy. Call Microsoft for a replacement CD which will cost you zip to very few dollars. If you don't do this, then you've revealed how much solving this problem is worth to you.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:New Hard Drives and Windows XP Pre-SP1
by Mahayani / February 16, 2004 2:52 AM PST

Microsoft the $52 Billion Dollar Glutton will not sell me a SP1 CD for a reasonable price since my XP is an OEM version I bought with hardware. They want me to buy a new XP PRO for $300. I live on social security now and do not feel like sending their corporate pigs $200-$300 just because their security-hole ridden original product was released way before it was ready for prime-time.

Collapse -
Your OEM quagmire. Let me toss you a rope. I'll help pull you out or you can always just hang yourself (SMILE!)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 3:20 AM PST

You didn't make any agreement perse with Microsoft on support. So take that ire and spit to the company that sold you the OEM version and dance on their heads. Got it?

I NEGLECTED TO NOTE ANOTHER SOLUTION. So cast your harsh words if you must, but as an OEM owner, you bought the wrong version, but here's your solution...

MAKE YOUR OWN XP SP1 CD!

-> http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp1_cd.htm

If you feel this way, why aren't you running MacOS or Linux?

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Your OEM quagmire. Let me toss you a rope. I'll help pull you out or you can always just hang yourself (SMILE!)

Thanks for the rope. Mission accomplished.
I may just do a repair re-install to test the slipstream disk. The instructions were perfectly detailed.
I had already updated my BIOS.
The update was hard to find, but in searching I found my old mobo still gets a "10" for its handling of the VIA Apollo chipset. Its a Shuttle Spacewalker 31 with a 1.4GH Thunderbird. It gives me a fair number of frozen commands when trying to handle TV recording via the ATI All-In-Wonder 9600. But all my visitors are amazed at the little buggers speed. I think I'm going to cry when I give her up, but on I must go. I skipped the Athlon XP, think I'm skipping the Athlon 64 to go for the "gold"----the FX-51 on a Gigabyte mobo, after a few more social security checks!!
Thank you so much, I finally got somewhere in a straight line.

Collapse -
Hope all your searches go well.

BTW, I've put all acquisitions on hold till I go 64-bit. At the moment, it looks like Suse 64-bit for the OS. I have a few machines on Suse 9.0 and all seems well.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:New Hard Drives and Windows XP Pre-SP1
by Cursorcowboy / February 16, 2004 4:45 AM PST
I live on social security now and do not feel like sending their corporate pigs $200-$300 just because their security-hole ridden original product was released way before it was ready for prime-time.,,,

two 200GB SATA arranged in RAID 1

I think you'll find those came afterwards, and here is a couple of things.

The article [Q303013] describes the Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA) support for ATA Packet Interface (ATAPI) disk drives that can enable the capacity of your hard disk to exceed the current 137 gigabyte (GB) limit.

Note: "Q331958" explains that if your computer has an ATA Packet Interface (ATAPI) hard disk that is larger than 137 gigabytes (GB), 1) your computer may restart instead of resuming from hibernation, 2) you may experience hard disk corruption when your computer enters either standby or hibernation, and 3) you may experience hard disk corruption when Windows XP writes a memory dump file as a result of an unrecoverable Windows error (or Stop error), unless the system is subsequently patched.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?