PC Hardware forum

Question

New Hard Drive Noisy, Causes Vibration

by Lycanthrokeith / March 14, 2015 8:26 PM PDT

Hello all.
After dealing with a failing hard drive, I replaced it with a larger (2TB) version. Both were 7200 RPM. I feel confident that I secured the drive in tightly.
The original was a Seagate, the replacement a Western Digital. I've used WD's externally before, and they've always been whisper-quiet.
PC is a HP p7-1108p, memory expanded to 16GB, GeForce GT610 video card added, power supply switched to a Coolmax ZX-600 600 Watt (done before the HDD switch, problem didn't come up then).
The new drive is louder than the previous one, to where I can hear it spinning up and accessing even through headphones that normally dull outside sounds. It almost sounds like a Keurig when it's pouring the coffee. This goes on even when the PC is idle (though I am having a problem with the Desktop constantly refreshing and moving icons around, so that may be what's being accessed). I can even feel vibration in my computer desk when it does heavy accessing.
Basically, is there a setting or something I need to fine-tune to quiet it down a bit? And is this something that could be potentially damaging to the drive?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Hard Drive Noisy, Causes Vibration
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Hard Drive Noisy, Causes Vibration
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
this is a "new" drive?
by James Denison / March 14, 2015 11:03 PM PDT

Or "refurbished"?

Collapse -
Answer
This is full of complaints.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2015 1:41 AM PDT

1. The sound through the audio could be the extra power draw could have been just enough to cause this.

2. The extra noise of spinup could be 2 areas.
a. You went from a 5400 to a 7200 RPM drive. It will sound a lot different.
b. MOUNTING MATTERS!!! I love putting 3.5 inch drives in plastic adapters in 5 inch bays for less sound transmission. If you solid mount, the drive seeking noise will tap right through the mount. (nothing wrong about that!)

Hope this helps,
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Replies
by Lycanthrokeith / March 15, 2015 7:46 AM PDT

James Denison: Yes, it is new, not refurbished. There are some things I would buy used, but a HDD is not one of them.

R. Proffitt: Strange, I thought the old HDD was 7200 as well, but that does explain some things.

If I re-mount the drive using plastic nubs in between the drive and the bay frame, would that help minimize the noise?

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Plastic is fantastic.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2015 8:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Replies
Collapse -
rubber is better
by James Denison / March 15, 2015 8:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Replies
for case they have these quiet rubber grommet thumbscrews.

similar type for hard drives.

price is too high, but you can get them in packs of 100

some have taken to putting thick rubber bands around the drives near the screws. Effective, but other's claim the rubber is weaker than rubber grommets and dries out and cracks. Seems once mounted, that really wouldn't matter since whatever is under pressure between the drive and case would remain.

more screw rubber grommets, inexpensive.

Here's a kit for HDD's and Fans.
Collapse -
Answer
Noise
by Willy / March 16, 2015 4:43 AM PDT

FYI- On top of any whirling noise you may hear, there maybe a "one slap/click" when it parks, it's very audible in a desktop.

Next, the other already posted about grommets and rubber washers, however being cheap and using whatever is at hand, I found simple "3-ring binder hole protectors/reenforcement" darn good and cheap. These are used for paper in 3-ring binders obviously but are the shape hole and size ready for noise/vibration insulation. 2-3 stuck together provide enough to help, but you can add more. *NOTE* When you tighten the screws, these need to be snug not super tight. You can also add those hole reinforcements on the screws too as added buffer, like a washer.

Alas, some HDs can be noisy in that peculiar unit is just noisy, minus any of the fixes provided by the forum.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
HDD
by Mu7eDPC / March 20, 2015 4:04 PM PDT

Again I have to go against the crowd>

HDD should not be as noisy as you describe.. They make a little noise sure, but almost every WD drive I have used in the last 5 - 10 years have always been virtually inaudible. Mounting will make a difference yes, but not to the extent which you describe.

The drive should not be vibrating, this could cause damage to the platters inside. I am thinking the bearings may be bad or not greased well enough.

My advice is to RMA the drive.

Adam

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!