PC Hardware forum

General discussion

New hard drive needed or did Gateway Tech support over reach

by heyjoep / June 17, 2006 11:15 AM PDT

I have a Gateway 556ge pc w 512 Mb dual core memory, Pentium 4, 3 gig processing speed, 200 Gig SATA HD and all the bells and whistles I am running Windows XP...On Thurday evening my system suddenly froze and crashed. I called Gateway's customer support and they blamed it on a faulty surge protector not allowing my PC to receive maximum power. This seemed to do the trick until it failed again on Friday and changing outlets and protectors did not solve the issue. Gateway asked me to use their internal recovery system and the computer crashed during the recovery process due to corrupted files. Gateway's answer to me is to install a new hard drive which they are sending me...I am still in warranty but just barely a few weeks to go on a year old machine. This morning I was able to do a full recovery from my recovery discs that I copied when I bought the machine last year...All seems fine now. Would you install a new hard drive on a machine a barely a year old? I have a deposit on their drive and need to return one or the other. Are they over reacting? And can an average person like me do this as easily as they claim I can? Your thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New hard drive needed or did Gateway Tech support over reach
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New hard drive needed or did Gateway Tech support over reach
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
sounds like they were grabbing. . .
by davewolfusa / June 17, 2006 11:22 AM PDT

at straws, as in guessing. did they tell you how to move the operating system and all your files to the new drive? if you can get everything moved you will be ahead of the game with a brand new drive.

the surge protector theory doesn't hold water. could the person you were talking to per chance be in india?

Collapse -
But would you do it?
by heyjoep / June 17, 2006 11:27 AM PDT

I formatted my drive so I'm pretty much starting from scratch...as the machine came from the factory...Is it worth it for the new drive...provided it's as easy as it sounds...thoughts?

Collapse -
sure. . .
by davewolfusa / June 17, 2006 9:40 PM PDT
In reply to: But would you do it?

a new drive is a new drive. i would. my only concern would be that the restoral cds may fail on a different drive. if you can reinstall your system then you are ahead of the game, especially if the drive is free. if the new system will install you can place the old drive into the computer, set it as slave, and copy all your "stuff" to the new drive. everything will copy except programs.

Collapse -
what I did
by arrowsparrow / June 17, 2006 10:19 PM PDT
In reply to: But would you do it?

Adte I got my laptop I decided to try the start from scratch idea so I completely reinstalled Windows then used the included restore discs for the drivers and included software I wanted so I didn't get the old iTunes, free software I didn't want and could only put what I wanted on it.

Collapse -
Power issues causes all sorts of problems
by Willy / June 17, 2006 11:02 PM PDT

If the HD failed it may well be due to lost power. That alone can corrupt the HD or worse make it fail h/w wise. All in all, the HD maybe suffering due to power issues. However, replacing the power supply should had been mentioened as well as if "AC power" was at fault it will directly effect the psu too. Thes combined failures aren't good in anyone's system. I suggest you have notice of power supply being replaced and quickly as after a yr. is normal for a fully loaded system to feel the effects especially if you "added" anything since h/w wise. The warranty is good until the repairs are done.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Could you explain what you mean?
by heyjoep / June 18, 2006 1:40 AM PDT

Could you define what you mean by replace the power supply? I really haven't added anything from the original configuration and I am not sure what to be looking for...

Collapse -
by Willy / June 18, 2006 3:11 AM PDT

The power supply as part of your system regulates the needs of the sysztem. Over time, the psu degrades alittle and more quickly if added h/w. Many an OEM system like Gateway builds a system to the task at hand with little room to grow on and can quickly be oevrtaxed. Thus, it becomes prudent to add a new psu as time goes on. You may have a 300W unit and be more cortable with 400W if not more.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
You're right, Willy
by chuckieu / June 18, 2006 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: power

The power supply that comes with the 556ge is 300W, which is kinda small for that much hardware. FWIW chuck

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?