Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

Question

new hard drive

by 17Byron / January 21, 2013 6:47 PM PST

I have a new SATA hard drive to install, also new windows7 and MS office.

What is the sequence of steps to transfer the data and to install the software?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: new hard drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 21, 2013 6:56 PM PST
In reply to: new hard drive

Please tell more about the old drive, the old Windows7, the old MS Office and the data. And about the drivers you need to install.

Kees

Collapse -
new hard drive replacemant
by 17Byron / January 21, 2013 7:15 PM PST
In reply to: Re: new hard drive

My old hard drive is SATA 80GB, I am replacing with SATA 250GB.
My old hard drive has an expired windows7 installed and 2007 MS office.
My new Windows7 is home premium and I have not bought a MS office yet.
I hope this answers your questions.
Thank You

Collapse -
Re: questions
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 21, 2013 7:29 PM PST

You didn't tell anything about your data, nor about the drivers you need to install. The very first thing to do is to be sure you've all of them either downloaded or on disk.

Copying the data is easy: just leave the old hard disk in and copy the data to the new hard disk once that is fully working.

So the steps now are:
- disconnect old drive
- mount new drive
- boot from Windows 7 disk and install it
- install antivirus if you use that
- install all drivers from the disk or the USB-stick you saved them on or by downloading now (but you might need to install some drivers to get Ethernet working, that's why it makes sense to have them ready)
- do ALL Windows 7 updates
- install MS Office from the disk
- do ALL Office updates
- connect the second hard disk
- copy your data

Kees

Collapse -
new hard drive
by 17Byron / January 22, 2013 7:13 PM PST
In reply to: Re: questions

I did not know about the drivers as I do not beleive I have any.
I think it will be Saturday before I am able to start this project, so I will keep watching for advice.

Collapse -
Re: drivers
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 7:19 PM PST
In reply to: new hard drive

If you go to Device Manager you'll see that all devices have a driver. Some come with Windows, some don't and you need to install them yourself from some other source.

Common things to need the manufacturers drivers (in case they don't come with Windows):
- sound
- video
- network (Ethernet)
- wireless
- USB-ports
- keyboard with special keys or wireless
- non-standard mouse
and of course the manufacturer supplied utilities you need to have.

Best of luck.

Kees

Collapse -
new hard drive
by 17Byron / January 30, 2013 12:22 AM PST
In reply to: Re: drivers

I have made some progress in this adventure, but still require some assisstance to complete.
I belive I have also made some mistakes along the way.
I used Acronis True Image WD software to to format and partition my new hard drive and it appears this worked fine.

On my old HD I had an expired Windows7 Enterprise, to correct this issue I installed new Windows7 Home Premium. Prior to doing this I did perform some back ups of files and pictuers, along with afile titled old hard drive files and a windows backup image.
But what I can not find is my MSO 2007 software file, and the files within MSO

Have I lost thses files forever, or can they be located?

Byron

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!