Dell forum

General discussion

new hard drive

by dbyrd44 / May 6, 2010 10:29 PM PDT

i have installed a new hard drive in my dell insprion 1520. I took out a 60gb and i installed a 500gb it will not load the restore disk that came from dell i also tryed to install window 7 any hint i got an error code error code 0f00.065d when i ran a test

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
error code 0f00:065d msg disk - dst self-test read error.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2010 11:53 PM PDT
In reply to: new hard drive

That's not good. Try another drive and this time stick to drive sizes Dell shipped that model with.
Bob

Collapse -
i want a bigger one
by dbyrd44 / May 7, 2010 12:32 AM PDT

but i want a larger drive my old one was 6ogb and it was full

Collapse -
Ask Dell
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2010 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: i want a bigger one

What the largest supported size is. Your post is too light on details for me to look into this. Remember this is all volunteer so you get to help as much as possible.

The error code is telling. And not a good sign.
Bob

Collapse -
big one
by dbyrd44 / May 7, 2010 3:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Ask Dell

i am not sure about what the biggest size it can support how can i tell that? if i can call dell can they help me? i have been trying for a week to install the hard drive with no luck. i have it package up to send back to have them test the hard drive and then go from there.

Collapse -
How I figure it out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2010 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: big one

I look to see what Dell offered with that machine. I also look to BIOS versions and read what they fixed in those versions.

There's plenty for you to do.
Bob

Collapse -
where do i look
by dbyrd44 / May 7, 2010 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: How I figure it out.

Bob can you tell me where i look for that help

Collapse -
Let's ask this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2010 11:42 PM PDT
In reply to: where do i look

Did you try google and ask

What is the largest drive I can put into (your make and model)?

I didn't read where you are doing this. I know this sounds terrible but there are no paid staff here so you get to do all the work. If you are lucky then someone might give an answer and you are done. But mostly the answers are about how you would find the answer yourself or about the usual of malware, and so on.
Bob

Collapse -
Check with Dell support
by Willy / May 7, 2010 12:17 PM PDT

Visit the Dell support website and navigate until you find the Dell model#. Look at the bios level, if you need it, get it and update. The update *may* include handling larger HDs as the system becomes capable of such installs. I do suggest you install the old HD back in and check during the boot-up if you can launch your CD recovery disc. If not, be sure to check bios that the CD drive is the 1st boot-up device. If that works out and hopefully any bios update has been done, NOW install the new HD. Boot-up to use the recovery and see if that works now. If not, verify you have the HD jumper set correctly. READ THE MANUAL the for the new HD. If no manual, visit that HD maker support website for that HD model# and find it. If nothing works and all checks out proper for setup, then the laptop simply doesn't support that large of a HD install. It may support a larger HD but not a 500gb one, that's why you need to verify at Dell support. Sometimes checking the Dell upgrades if offered and/or any Dell compatible vendor website. This very much a laptop issue and the older the laptop the more likely the cause, of non-install.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Good and bad news.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 8, 2010 2:05 AM PDT
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&deviceid=17167&libid=41&releaseid=R217232&vercnt=1&formatcnt=0&SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_1520&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=EN&catid=-1&dateid=-1&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&impid=-1&checkFormat=true

"Hard-Drive
R217232.exe
Description: This file contains a compressed (or zipped) set of files. Download the file to a folder on your hard drive, and then run (double-click) it to unzip the set of files. Follow the instructions to complete the installation. "

It appears that not all 500GB drives work with this model. Dell issued updated hard drive FIRMWARE.

Which brings us back to self support issues. Are you sure your hard drive has it's latest firmware?
Bob

PS. The good news is this model seems to support 500GB SATA drives. The bad news is that hard drive firmware may have to be current and that the drive must be known to work with this laptop.
Collapse -
hard drive
by dbyrd44 / May 10, 2010 12:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Good and bad news.

i went to dell today and update my bios and also made sure my hard drive is the one that i need and they sell the actually hard drive i have. I also downed file Bob instrcted me to. Now i have tried it again and still no luck. so i guess my next step is to call dell and pay them.. any other suggestions

Collapse -
Pull back to the next smaller drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2010 12:32 AM PDT
In reply to: hard drive

This is where a 320GB drive looks enticing.

Collapse -
no a 500gb
by dbyrd44 / May 11, 2010 1:40 AM PDT

It is a western digital 500gb just like the one Dell sells for my laptop Insprion 1520

Collapse -
And why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2010 2:12 AM PDT
In reply to: no a 500gb

Given the bad news above Dell may only support that if you got the hard drive from Dell. This is reason number two the next size down looks to be a good idea.

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry, a PS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2010 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: no a 500gb

PS. What many didn't live through were the bad old days where you couldn't swap parts around as much as you can today. But still you may encounter "this didn't work with that." Those that don't remember this may wonder why things don't always work with other things which is why I found the bad news item above as THE SIGN.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!