General discussion

New Graphics card=black screen...help!

I recently bought a used Gateway Pentium 4, 1.2 off Ebay Real nice, but when opening the side, I noticed the monitor was plugged into a little red box. I bought a XFX GeForce 5200DX and installed it in one of the three PCI slots. I saw the fan running, but upon booting up, the green light on the screen took forever to light up and nothing but a black screen. I could hear the chimes in the background indicating the bootup process was finished. No matter which slot I tried, same thing. So I pklugged the monitor back into the little red box and the picture came right on. I insalled the drivers and all of that.

I went to the device manager and under display adapters, I see the Nvidia card listed and also the default Intel GV graphics controller. Under monitors, I see two listed, the default with the Intel and the second monitor listing my new Nvidia card. Should I chose the Nvidia card, reconnect the monitor cord to the card in the PCI slot and reboot? I don't want to screw something up and not have any picture at all. Your suggestions, please?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: New Graphics card=black screen...help!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: New Graphics card=black screen...help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: New Graphics card=black screen...help!

The answer is pretty simple. However, give yourself a favor. Determine your brand name's model number, goto the manufacturer's site, find out its documentation and read it. If the documentation is missing or it's a kind of vaporware, run a hardware/software disclosure utility. That will reveal configuration details, because your description is missing some pertinent info.

Another track it's asking their support. If they won't be able to help you (although the answer is pretty simple), come back and say it.

You asked suggestions, so you've got suggestions.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

- Collapse -
Does this information help?

Click here for Belarc's PC Management products, for large and small companies.

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600) Gateway E-2000 4000792
System Serial Number: **********
Chassis Serial Number: *********
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
1.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Intel Corporation D845GRG AAA86577-301
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Intel Corp. RG84510A.15A.0057.P19.0308210949 08/21/2003
Drives Memory Modules c,d
40.01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
22.46 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

WDC WD400EB-11CPF0 [Hard drive] (40.02 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMAAT9663504, rev 06.04G06, SMART Status: Healthy 248 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'J6G1' has 128 MB
Slot 'J6G2' has 128 MB
Local Drive Volumes

c: (on drive 0) 40.01 GB 22.46 GB free

Network Drives
None detected
Users Printers
local user accounts last logon
Owner 2/23/2005 3:26:38 PM (admin)
local system accounts
Administrator never (admin)
Guest never
HelpAssistant never
SUPPORT_388945a0 never

Controllers Display
Standard floppy disk controller
Intel(R) 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller] Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller [Display adapter]
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (Microsoft Corporation) [Display adapter]
Default Monitor
Default Monitor
Bus Adapters Multimedia
Intel(r) 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD
Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4
Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7 SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
Communications Other Devices
BCM V.90 56K Modem
Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter(LNE100TX v4) #2
Network Card MAC Address: 00:0C:41:22:8B:E1
Network IP Address: 65.221.53.83 / 24 Intel(R) Graphics Chipset (KCH) Driver
Intel(R) Graphics Platform (SoftBIOS) Driver
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Microsoft PS/2 Mouse
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
Virus Protection
No details available
Installed Microsoft Hotfixes [Back to Top]

- Collapse -
Of course it helps ...

... you because:

1. Here?s the E-200 manual download page.

2. Your posted log shows that?s a PC based on Intel D845GRG motherboard model.

So, the first part of my previous message question was solved (manual found). OK, I?d disclose that the 260 page document won?t help you finding the cure.

Did you contact their tech support ?(I see chat and email possibilities) If no, do that. Why ? Because many come here after failed tech supports, are served and go. At least we?ll know how good / bad they are. The solution isn?t so difficult, so let?s see them at work.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

- Collapse -
Black Screen

I take it the Gateway has a built-in video with shared memory. If that's the case, go into the bios and disable the onboard video and enable the new FX5200. It should be shown on the bios as being detected. Had the same problem on the wifes Compaq. Had those propriatary systems.

CNET Forums

Forum Info