Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

NEW Gigabeat S (30 gb white) - error 4, wiped hardrive!! ??

I turned on my gigabeat the other day (given as a gift 2 me 4 xmas and BRAND new!) and I was loving it so much + it said the battery was low then all of a sudden I get this random error 4 message saying it has to reformat the drive and it wiped all my music/movies/pics etc that I had just spent like HOURS syncing to the device! I am really upset about this - I mean I have the 1 yr warranty so I have emailed toshiba to find out if they will send me a new one or something but is any1 else having this problem?? It happened a second time to me today when I was disconnecting the player from my computer! WHAT A PAIN! I am also really upset about this because I LOVED the demo videos and picture slide shows that came originally on the gigabeat and now they are gone!! Is there anyway I can download these again somewhere or anything?? I liked showing those to ppl when they want 2 see how the player works and the slide show was awesome 2 watch w/ my music :/ I also lost some of my music when my harddrive was wiped - I guess using an mp3 player as a backup storage for songs is not a good idea... HELP!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NEW Gigabeat S (30 gb white) - error 4, wiped hardrive!! ??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NEW Gigabeat S (30 gb white) - error 4, wiped hardrive!! ??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same problem

In reply to: NEW Gigabeat S (30 gb white) - error 4, wiped hardrive!! ??

I experienced the same problem a few days ago. I also got mine as a Xmas gift and really loved it at first. It got so many good reviews, especially here on CNET that I had high expectations. The first problem I noticed was the short battery life, which only gave me at most 5 hours per charge. Then a few days ago at work I tried to plug my player via USB to my computer to charge. It gave me the same message then deleted everything in the hard drive. Yesterday, I tried to charge it via USB at home and the screen just kept flashing. I unplugged it then tried to use the AC adaptor instead. The thing wouldn't charge or even turn on! It's a complete disaster. I'm sending this back and now I'm thinking of getting an iPod...even though I've hated on ipods for many years. I only really liked two things about the S30: the design and the navigation. The 2.5" color screen, format support, and video capability is all standard on many similar players so I don't count it as much as a positive. I wish iRiver would come out with new HDD players since they're players are so reliable. Awesome sound, great battery life, and no problems.

Collapse -
Hate Navigation as well!

In reply to: Same problem

I know - I dislike ipods but am now considering getting one because I am so annoyed at the gigabeat! I HATE HATE HATE windows media player and when you sync the gigabeat to WMP the navgiation to try to delete music off the gigabeat is ridiculous! If you have an album you want to delete with various artists you have to go through each individual folder under 'Music' and find the artists on the album and then delete it! I do not like having no control over the originazation of my music and these errors I keep getting are ridiculous! I love the screen and sound/video quality of the gigabeat though, which is the main reason I bought it - I mean no other player can beat the gigabeat in that department but it is very unreliable. I am so suprised by CNET on this one as I have used cnet's opinions 2 buy all my other digital equipment (camera, comp, monitor, speakers, headphones and more) and have always been pleased but this time I am very unhappy! I agree that the perfect MP3 player (w/ awesome video quality) is just not being made right now :/ I am calling gagbeat customer service tonight and asking them about these problems etc and maybe they will send me a new gigabeat :/ dunno - sigh, what a shame! It really isn't a horrible device but these types of problems cloud your view of it ya know?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.