PC Hardware forum

Question

New Gaming PC Configuration HELP!

by anhkhanh1 / July 11, 2012 2:58 PM PDT

Hello, i recently bought a prebuilt PC from vender MainGear. I have pretty limited knowledge regarding pc components and hardware and I was wondering if in the future If I decided I wanted a dual graphics card set up, if my system configuration would allow this. Also, any comments regarding my systems expandibility and upgradibility are more than welcome because I do, in fact, plan for this system to age well in my household.

Chassis: F131 with VRTX Cooling Technology (SilverStone FT03)

Motherboard: Asus® P8Z77-M Pro Featuring Lucid Virtu MVP, CrossFire and SLI

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5 3570K 3.4GHz/3.8GHz Turbo 6MB L3 Cache HD 4000

Intel® Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic

Processor Cooling: MAINGEAR Certified Intel® Retail Cooler

Memory: 8GB Corsair® Vengeance™ DDR3-1600 1.5V (2x4GB)

Power Supply: 600W Seasonic® 80+ Certified

Graphics and GPGPU Accelerator: AMD® Radeon™ HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 w/Eyefinity

Hard Drive Bay One: 1TB Seagate® Barracuda™ 7200rpm 64MB Cache SATA 6G

Optical Drive One: 8X Dual Layer DVD RW Drive Slot Loading SATA

NOTES:

I plan on buying a 100+ gb SSD near the end of 2012 Q4 once prices drop

My chassis, the FT03. has very limited hard drive space (3 3.5 inch slots + 2.5 inch slot)

If you have any recommendations for overall performance upgrades your comment will be appreciated. Of course, i'm looking for bang-for-your-buck performance enhancers, such as an SSD install.

YOUR KNOWLEDGE IS APPRECIATED!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Gaming PC Configuration HELP!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Gaming PC Configuration HELP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I want...
by Willy / July 11, 2012 11:13 PM PDT

Your answer lies here:

Motherboard: Asus® P8Z77-M Pro Featuring Lucid Virtu MVP, CrossFire and SLI

Review the specs of that mtrbd. and will show what it supports. The mere statement it is Crossfire or SLI suggests it will support multiple video cards. As in most cases, its best to have similar rated video cards and of same brand(GPU chipset). The other side of this is have more than adequate power for such multiple video cards installs, so don't overlook that.

Sorry, you're a gamer and you want to do this on a budget. Well, if you budget too much on the low end to save costs, consider can you budget your gaming levels to less than maximum, I don't think so. I strongly suggest you buy the best you can afford and hopefully nothing too cheap and get the best out of it. I offer this, because you will stress this PC out wringing everything you can from it and that makes you trying to find the weakest link. Thus, i urge you to think better cooling and best PSU installed for costs. Visit gamer websites for tips/clues/hints/ideas for all this.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
By chance do you have links to these products...
by VAPCMD / July 12, 2012 10:30 AM PDT

it makes it much easier to help you.

Seasonic....good stuff. That said you may need a more robust PSU IF you're serious about a second GPU.

Re the RAM... take a look over at Newegg for GSkill RAM. Good ratings, good prices....and I can speak personally on GSkill....good stuff. DIMMs with tall heatsinks can be problematic under big CPU coolers.

Re the CPU cooler ...I'd check FROSTYTECH.COM....got good info on the best, quietest CPU coolers.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Answer
Power Supply
by jokerking69 / July 13, 2012 3:44 PM PDT

for future planning for a possible dual gpu set up you'll definitely want to upgrade your psu to a 1200w. A 1000w psu would probably be enough for 2 cards in the future seeing as how gpus like the 670 consume less power and to my understanding you can run 2 gtx 670s on a 650w to 750w

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.