Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

New GA-965P-DQ6 motherboard but DVD-RW rom cannot boot

by burton155 / March 11, 2007 11:13 AM PDT

I recently replaced my motherboard with a New GA-965P-DQ6 motherboard,and a Core 2 Extreme QX6700. it has 1 IDE, 1 FDD controller and 6 SATA slots. i am using a 650 PSU from Antec and a Big Typhoon cooler. From preparation to reboot into Windows XP i was told to reboot from the Windows XP Home edition install CD. I hooked up my gigabyte DVD-RW as master and my IDE Western Digital 80g 7200rpm as slave, to the only IDE slot - also changed the pin setting behind the drives. then when i turned the PC on, i went into BIOS setup and set it to boot from CDROM first (there is only 1 selection for optical drive). However, for some reason, the startup just couldnt recognize the DVD-RW and couldnt boot from it. Can someone please help as i am stressed and befuddled (tried switching master and slave but it didnt work)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New GA-965P-DQ6 motherboard but DVD-RW rom cannot boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New GA-965P-DQ6 motherboard but DVD-RW rom cannot boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"I hooked up my gigabyte DVD-RW as master and my IDE Western
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2007 11:26 AM PDT

"I hooked up my gigabyte DVD-RW as master and my IDE Western Digital 80g 7200rpm as slave, to the only IDE slot"

Ok, try something more common.

Put both drives on CS, then use your 80 conductor cable with the hard disk on the Master connector and the DVD drive on the Slave connection. Set the BIOS to boot from CD/DVD.

I can see deep trouble if you stray from the (Microsoft) path.

Collapse -
What is CS?
by burton155 / March 11, 2007 11:36 AM PDT

Thanks for the help Proffitt... really appreciate it. but need to know what "put both drives on CS" mean? not sure what CS is..

Collapse -
With modern IDE cables or ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2007 1:04 PM PDT
In reply to: What is CS?

80 conductor IDE cables the setting is Cable Select or CS. Master or Slave is determined by which connection you use. The issue is common and just go with the more usual setup and it may just work.

Collapse -
CS still doesnt work
by burton155 / March 12, 2007 12:17 PM PDT

CS still doesn't make the DVD boot work. can i assume it may be incompatible and that i should buy a SATA DVD-RW or should i play it safe and buy an IDE (i assume SATA has to be manually setup and that the DVD-RW needs to work first?)

Collapse -
Then triple check..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2007 12:34 PM PDT
In reply to: CS still doesnt work
Collapse -
Gigabyte Mobos
by Urkel. / March 12, 2007 1:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Then triple check..

The other thing you might want to check is to set the DVD drive as master and the HDD as slave. Gigabyte doesn't recommend setting the drives up on CS. Personally, I've got the S3 version of that mobo, the only difference being in the type of caps used on tne mobo.

Collapse -
Forgot this part
by Urkel. / March 12, 2007 1:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Gigabyte Mobos

The motherboard that you're using is really geared mopre towards using SATA HDD's and no third party drivers are required to install XP on them with that board. Also, as suggested earlier you want to enter the BIOS by hitting the delete button when first starting the comp. then set the machine to boot from cd/dvd.

Collapse -
cannot boot from DVD
by burton155 / March 12, 2007 2:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Forgot this part

i already set all 3 priorities in BIOS to boot from CDROM but nothing happened with the DVD boot. and previously i set DVD-RW as master and IDE HDD as slave but nothing happened - it kept saying disk read error and was asking for system startup disk. the funny thing is that at BIOS setup it can see the DVD-RW and IDE HDD but for some reason on master 4 and slave 4... but the DVD-DUAL has a funny name like @V@ @UAL.... maybe the DVD gave up the ghost just before i installed it??

Collapse -
Dead DVD?
by Urkel. / March 12, 2007 3:05 PM PDT
In reply to: cannot boot from DVD

For some reason it appears that your DVD drive can't read the install disk, I have heard about some incompatibilities between windows disks and some types of DVD drives. On a side note: I found out the hard way that the Cd provided by Gigabyte that contained the drivers for the mobo was bad and had to download the drivers from Gigabytes website.

Collapse -
About CS. I have a GIGABYTE manual and ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2007 11:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Gigabyte Mobos

It shows CS. This area is only a little contentious as the old ways die hard. Use what works for you if you must but my friend "Tech" is always correcting jumpers on non-functional drives. The owners hear that they shouldn't use CS and they end up at a service counter. The truth is that we need to never paint ourselves into such a corner.

Collapse -
80-conductor and SATA DVD+-RW
by burton155 / March 13, 2007 10:35 AM PDT

to be safe and because i want my new "baby" to work no matter what. i will buy both the 80-conductor cable and a SATA DVD+-RW! Thanks for all the advice

Collapse -
SATA Burner?
by Urkel. / March 13, 2007 12:00 PM PDT

When you find an SATA DVD burner, let me know where you found one. I've been looking for one for the past year without any luck in finding one.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?