TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

New five-disc DVD player: upconvert worth it?

I've recently got a 40" Sony LCD HDTV 1080p, with 3 HDMI. I have local cable (good package deal with internet and phone) that broadcasts about twenty HD channels in 720p maximum. I've been blown away by the difference in picture versus regular TV and DVD resolutions, and now I'm resolution hungry.

I currently have a five-disc Sony DVD carousel that's only a few years old. I'm perfectly happy with the performance, but its highest video output is component, which I currently have plugged directly into the TV. And, of course, even with a progessive feature, it's 480.

Although I plan on getting a BluRay soon, for now I'm considering buying a upconvert 1080p five-disc DVD to replace the one I have, particularly Sony's DVP-NC800H/B. There are several reasons for this:

1) I want the maximum video output; like many DVD players nowadays, the upconvert has a HDMI output.
2) It's the right price for my budget ($130).
3) I would like to keep a dedicated DVD and CD player, leaving the BluRay only for the HD stuff. Less player wear-and-tear, perhaps?
4) Currently, there are no BluRay multidisc changers. My wife and I do put in multi-disc sets and/or several CDs to play and shuttle through. (Yeah, yeah, I know we could just walk across the room, but it is a nice feature for us.)

The question is: is it worth it? First of all, I keep reading reviews where several Blu-ray players don't even play CDs, or have trouble playing DVDs well -- a fact that just about blew my mind. This is one reason I'd like to invest in a newer dedicated DVD multidisc player with HDMI output. However, I also keep reading that the difference between a good DVD "regular" player and an upconvert player is minimal. Even with HDMI, 1080p HDTV, etc.? I realize an upconvert will never compete with a true 1080p, but still . . .

So: stick with the "old" player I have and just buy a BluRay? Or is the upconvert worth it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New five-disc DVD player: upconvert worth it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New five-disc DVD player: upconvert worth it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
you are rather intuitive

In reply to: New five-disc DVD player: upconvert worth it?

with your surmisals of the situation. I vote BluRay and believe the upconversion is just very subtle shades of difference. JMO. Im a blu fan, but i use an enormous screen however.

keep the old player. get a bluray player. dunno if its still going on but walmart gives you $100 gift card or something with bluray player purchase.

of the poorer SD playback for BD players is the Panasonic line. Id expect Denon and some Samsung to have better DVD playback, but they are costlier I think.

let your sony LCD do the scaling for your progressive scan dvd player.

Collapse -
letting the tv do it...

In reply to: you are rather intuitive

I was wondering about the size issue (you mentioned owning a large TV); even though I was told resolution won't make as much difference at smaller sizes, I wanted a 1080p so I could have the best POSSIBLE picture, knowing full well hardly anything plays that well -- thinking to the future, I kept telling myself. Yep, that's rationalization talking.

I will check the literature on my TV, but one last question: will most TVs automatically scale? On my DVD player, I have to hit a button, but I honestly haven't tested the DVD picture with and without Progressive Scan. So for newer HDTVs, is progressive "automatic" or is it a setting you choose? (My model is a Sony KDL-40S4100.)

Thanks for the input. Instead of spending an unnecessary $130, perhaps I'll wait and spend a "necessary" $400+. Next, I'll have to convince the wife!

And if anyone else has their two cents they want to share, please feel free.

Collapse -
AFAIK

In reply to: letting the tv do it...

they all scale. The de-interlacing is supposedly the trickier part for VP. Progressive being automatic is a trick question, because there are some tv's that are 1080i natively. I think of Hitachi plasmas.

the setting you want to choose is what is closest to the displays resolution. just try them for yourself and make your own opinion.

lastly, regarding size issue: size is nothing without the viewing distance. you need both to come up with viewing angle. I have so far chosen about a 42 viewing angle for the front row. what is the distance you sit from the tv?

Viewing Distance Calculator

I guess the ... thing doesn't work too well, or what am i doing wrong... try this instead

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.