Samsung forum

General discussion

**New firmware for PN50B650 / PN58B650**

by BestBuy Tech / July 27, 2009 3:44 AM PDT

The latest firmware for the PN50B650 and PN58B650 is 001009. This is the "verified" version on the latest shipped build dates. Early shipped models have 001007 and can be updated to 001008 over the TV's built in update system. So 001008 is currently online somewhere in Samsung land. Although, when in contact with a Samsung rep directly, the rep denied any firmware update for the PNXXB650 series existed due to not finding any information on it. Well, it does exist, and 001008 is available now, and 001009 is currently only on models of the 650 that are just getting into the stores within the last month, and on those that have recently just been purchased.

Is there something that you could do to get the 001009 firmware up on the website for download through the TV'v update system. Alot of folks are waiting on it.

I just can't see why it takes so long for Samsung to post the 001009 firmware file. They really should be on top of this stuff. Thank You.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: **New firmware for PN50B650 / PN58B650**
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: **New firmware for PN50B650 / PN58B650**
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
changes in 1009
by ctboater / July 27, 2009 3:50 AM PDT

Thanks for the heads up about the update. Do you know what has changed in it?

Collapse -
"unknown"
by BestBuy Tech / July 27, 2009 4:07 AM PDT
In reply to: changes in 1009

I am hoping it would address the cinema smooth lip sync issues with certain samsung blu ray players. So far tested and confirmed on the BD-P1200, and BD-P2550. But being so new of an issue i dout it. A Samsung rep also denied that a problem existed with cinema smooth. Reguardless, Samsung found some issue to address or 001009 wouldn't exist. I just hope they fix the cinema smooth and keep the most current update available for download.

Collapse -
Firmware
by bdwiseisjunk / July 27, 2009 4:12 AM PDT
In reply to: "unknown"

Remember, not all firmware updates are to address issues. Components and manufacturing change as a model undergoes small developments -- Different mememory supplier, different power suppy, various components can change, etc.

Some firmware changes are simply to address changes in the hardware or perhaps specific issues in certain regions (non-US). I wouldn't expect Samsung to release all of those firmware updates.

Collapse -
**New firmware for PN50B650 / PN58B650**
by bdwiseisjunk / July 27, 2009 4:00 AM PDT

I just wish they would add PN50B650 to their support website.

It does not exist at the US support site:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/main/supportSupportMain.do

Thank you for the heads up on the firmware update. My unit shipped with 1007 and I did a network update to 1008 a few weeks ago.

I think I will wait this time to see if they have notes on what was fixed . . .

Collapse -
"correct"
by BestBuy Tech / July 27, 2009 4:15 AM PDT

>It does not exist at the US support site:

Folks without an internet connection to there TV are stuck with 001007. The support site does not even mention that 001008 is available! Somewhere down the line, the PNXXB650 series has been left out of the update chain. PC Share Manager has been also been updated, but you won't find it by looking under the PNXX650 on the support site, because samsung chose not to post it under every TV that uses it (like the 650 series), but rather only on certain other models that they have been keeping up to date.

Collapse -
The PN50B650 is what does not exist.
by BestBuy Tech / July 27, 2009 4:35 AM PDT
In reply to: "correct"

>It does not exist at the US support site:

YES, they have every model listed but forgot to add the PN50B650. They have the 58" "B" 650 model listed and the "A" model listed. But somewhere down the line samsung has neglected to add the PN50B650 to there support site. It is like the TV does not exist. This is the only model missing!

*I would kindly ask the Samsung rep on this site click the above support link and try to find the PN50B650. You will only find the 58" model (with no updates), and a differant "A" model to the 650 series. You will not find the 50" "B" 650 series model. Clearly, the person in charge for updating the support site has overlooked the PN50B650.

Collapse -
Still not up...
by BestBuy Tech / July 28, 2009 7:02 AM PDT

I Would really appreciate knowing why the PN50B650 is the ONLY model that has been left out of samsung's support website?

Collapse -
The PN50B650 is what does not exist.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 29, 2009 3:30 AM PDT

BestBuy Tech,

I ran across these posts and notified the product support team when it was first discovered it was missing.

Your request was heard, and the support site is now up.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thank you!
by BestBuy Tech / July 29, 2009 7:03 AM PDT

Seriously though..... You guys seem to be only ones that can get anything done at Samsung, and it is truly a complete pleasure having you guys here. Happy

Collapse -
Thank you!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 29, 2009 7:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you!

BestBuy Tech,

Thanks for the kind words.

I work alongisde a group of very dedicated people in a global company. These things usually don't slip through the cracks, but when they do, we listen and fix them.

Thanks for keeping us on our toes. Happy

--HDTech

Collapse -
Web Page
by CrotalusHH / July 30, 2009 7:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you!

While you are reporting webpage bugs, if you go to the Samsung site and use the Support Tab, Entering LN55B650 in either search window hangs the page. You can only get to the proper place by entering the model number in the very top search window.

Collapse -
Web Page
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 30, 2009 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Web Page

CrotalusHH,

I tried it a minute ago - it fills in by the time I get to "B" with some drop-down options. Are you not getting that?

I'm also using the support tab on High Bandwidth mode.

I recommend using the search window next to "Option 1: Search by Model Number". If that still doesn't work, or if anyone else is seeing this, please let me know.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Any idea as to when the 1009 firmware will be available?
by BestBuy Tech / July 31, 2009 8:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Web Page

I was just wondering if you could posssibly find out when the latest 1009 firmware (as seen in the most recent PN50B650 build dates) will be available for others to download.. Or if there is a way to get it via email for USB use.

*Also, any update on the CinemaSmooth fix? Alot of folks are waiting this one as well. Thanks.

Collapse -
Any idea as to when the 1009 firmware will be available?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 31, 2009 11:01 AM PDT

BestBuy Tech,

I don't know what the 1009 firmware addresses, and product support handles that. I haven't received a response yet.

No update on the CinemaSmooth issues yet. I've reported on them, and I'm usually not in the loop as these get sorted out.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks again,
by BestBuy Tech / August 2, 2009 12:58 PM PDT

If you don't mind, Please keep us posted once they report back. I have been trying to get my hands on the 1009 firmware for the PN50B650 for quite a while now with no luck. I am currently stuck at 1008. Everyone with a recent purchase is reporting to have 1009.

Collapse -
Thanks again,
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 4, 2009 2:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks again,

BestBuy Tech,

No worries.

I'm a little curious, though. What is it about 1009 that makes it so appealing? From the manufacturer's standpoint, firmware is historically only released to fix a known issue, not add any functionality to the television set. The only(!) firmware I can remember in the last 4 years that added any functionality to the televisiobn set was the 1012.1M for the LN52A650 series that installed InfoLink to be added (whereas it was only available previously on the 7-Series and 8-Series initially.)

That's the only firmware update that I know of for a television that has added functionality. If the television works without any issues, it's not necessary or even useful to add the update.

Just a tidbit for discussion, I suppose. But I get a sense of urgency and loss for a firmware that doesn't change anything outside of what already works in most cases. Even your post noting that "I'm stuck with 1008" hints that you feel like you're missing a feature that everyone else is getting. I just wanted to explain to you, and everyone dealing with a firmware issue, that this is not the case.

Blu-Ray firmware is a little different, as we added BD Profile 2.0 with a firmware update, as well as update Java-coding for new discs. So if this was a Blu-Ray issue, I could see. But I'm not understanding the difference for the televisions.

Believe me, if a firmware rolls out that adds functionality, I'll post it and pin it to the top of the discussion threads on Page 1. Otherwise, if it ain't broke....

Thoughts?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Cinema Smooth issue...
by BestBuy Tech / August 5, 2009 10:29 AM PDT

Hi,

The PN50B650 has issues with the Cinema Smooth. This is no secret. I have experianced lip sync problems everytime it is used. I have no reciever in the loop. Just BD player to TV direct. Others have reported the same issues and are eagerly awaiting a fix. It also alters the brightness when it automaticaly turns on. Will 1009 resolve this?? I don't know, but this problem has been discussed before. I would atleast like to have the opportunity to load 1009 and see for myself if this issue is resolved. As of now, every new PN50B650 is shipping with 1009 formware. Why samsung is keeping the 1009 firmware from being downloaded is a complete mystery. Every rep i have asked to get a hold of it has giving me the run around like i was asking for gold!. Some have gone as far as saying that the PN50B650 has never had an upgrade! Although, 1007 firmware went to 1008 over the internet via from within the TV. I don't know how much weight you have with samsung, but if you can get a hold of the 1009 to test that would be greatly appreciated by alot of samsung owners and supporters who purchased this product. New Firmware comes out because someone found an issue that needed to be addressed. No matter how small, it's still an issue, and right now i have one with the Cinema Smooth.. Same as everyone else that has used it. If you would help get it that would be great.

Collapse -
New Info?
by cushlash1978 / August 19, 2009 3:48 AM PDT

Is there any news on the 1009 firmware and it's availability. I have a PN50B650 that was manufacturered in May. It shipped with 1006 and I was able to update it from the TV to 1007. But it will not update past 1007 and there are zero firmware downloads on Samsung's site.

Does Samsung have an FTP site that possibly has the updates available? I should note that ftp.samsung.com is up and listening on TCP port 21 (FTP), but I'm not able to login anonymously. If someone from Samsung can provide information on accessing the site, or at least checking the site for us, that would be appreciated.

Collapse -
Stuck at 1006
by scottchez / August 19, 2009 7:02 AM PDT

My TV was made in April and it is still has v1006 because it wont upgrade and there is no upgrade posted on the web site.

I have Anynet snyc issues. My guess is it is fixed in the newer firmware.

Every time I try to upgrade on the TV I get Server connect error 400.

So I am still at v 1006 while others are at 1007 1008 and now 1009.

I did a Sniffer trace with the firewall off, I am hitting the upgrade server in Korea but nothing is coming back.
I for sure have the internet working on the TV as Yahoo Widgets all work.

Collapse -
Anyone?
by cushlash1978 / August 21, 2009 8:17 AM PDT

Any comments from the Samsung folks on this?

Collapse -
Samsung confirms update
by scottchez / August 21, 2009 10:12 AM PDT

UPDATE:
I was having troubles with my Samsung BD1250 with Anynet. So I called Samsung.

First thing they said on the phone is update the firmware on the tV.

I said I cant there are none. They said yes there is, v1008 fixes known issues. I am still on the RTM version 1006. They said open a new ticket for the TV which I did via an email question and have not heard anything is 3 weeks. I dont have time to wait on hold to call right now.

How can I get to v1008 if I can get my updates to work through the TV AND there are none posted on the samsung web site?

Seems several teams at Samsung are not talking to each other on this one.

Mr Samsung HD Tech, any chance you could email the firmware team? Maybe they forgot to post the files on the web or they are behind in QA testing or something.

Collapse -
New Update Available for Samsung PN50B650 (22 Sep 2009)
by spandexlover / September 25, 2009 12:26 PM PDT

There is a new update available for the Samsung PN50B650 on their web site dated 22 Sep 2009 version (1012.3)

Collapse -
New 1010 firmware.
by BestBuy Tech / August 27, 2009 1:12 AM PDT

Samsung is now shipping current PN50B650's with 1010 firmware. I put a request in for it two weeks ago to teck support level-2 and have not heard back since.

Collapse -
No response
by cushlash1978 / August 27, 2009 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: New 1010 firmware.

It's great to see how responsive Samsung is being to our requests. I've been a loyal Samsung customer for years, with a 46" DLP, DVD player, BD player, 50" plasma, etc. And this is just frustrating.

Collapse -
Samsung rep Please help us out!!!
by BestBuy Tech / August 28, 2009 10:40 AM PDT

1010 firmware for the PN50B650 fixes the cinema smooth issue, and i want that issue fixed, and i would really like the 1010 firmware... And so wouldn't others.

Collapse -
New 1010 firmware.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 28, 2009 5:03 PM PDT

BestBuy Tech,

I don't control the firmwares. I don't have any answers at this point. I'm looking into it. It's the best I can do at this point.

--HDTech

Collapse -
1010.4 Now Available
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 4, 2009 5:23 AM PDT

Forum members,

We have responded to these issues, and as of this morning, 1010.4 is now available online - and should be able to download.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Fix or not fixed Cinema Smooth
by XT14 / September 29, 2009 3:51 PM PDT

So did anyone ever confirm or deny the fix is version 1010? I just updated to 1012 and seems like it's still there. Switching to cinema smooth washes out the picture makes it lighter than with it off. I don't know if I can roll back firmware or not..but if 1010 works, then I'd prefer that.

Collapse -
Cinema Smooth not fixed
by cushlash1978 / September 30, 2009 1:59 AM PDT

I don't believe the Cinema Smooth issue has been addressed. I also updated to 1010 and then 1012, to no avail. It would be nice if Samsung would address this issue and let us know if/when it will be fixed.

Collapse -
cinema smooth issue
by XT14 / September 30, 2009 3:47 AM PDT

odd as it may sound, i did put the 1010 (downgraded from 1012) on today and when switching back and forth between cinema smooth on and off I didn't notice any discernable difference, this is in contrast from the 1012 when it was very obvious. Some more testing would need to be done with actual grayscales, but until more info comes out..I'm sticking with 1010

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.