Samsung forum

General discussion

New firmware for LED 40B8000

by smorris123 / November 1, 2009 8:19 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New firmware for LED 40B8000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New firmware for LED 40B8000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LED 40B8000
by smorris123 / November 1, 2009 8:38 AM PST

the file size is not the same as listed
should be 49.77 but when downloaded it's 48.5 is that correct

steve

Collapse -
f
by smorris123 / November 1, 2009 9:03 AM PST
In reply to: LED 40B8000

sorted it now,

What does the new firmware do?
Most people who provide update also provide a readme which state the history,
Also shame there did not do anything about the stretch option when playing back normal DVD, They still play in a box in the middle of the screen whick seem pointless on a big tv

Steve

Collapse -
f
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 1, 2009 3:13 PM PST
In reply to: f

smorris123,

If there are any release notes, it will be a clickable link on the Firmware page. Unfortunately, I don't know which region you're inquiring from, but you might see if the website in your region has that information available. Here's how you get to it on the U.S. site:

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/samsung_hd_tech/7000website.jpg

If the picture is in a box where the 'black bars' surround the entire picture, it's more than likely the aspect ratio of the source (BDP, DVD, cable/sat box, etc) that is the issue. Usually that would be a result of a 16x9 source being encoded in 4:3 format but displayed with a 16x9 aspect ratio.

--HDTech

Collapse -
aspect ratio problems
by smorris123 / November 1, 2009 4:12 PM PST
In reply to: f

Thanks Samsung_HD_Tech for your reply

I am from the UK.
I forgot that the firmware was an exe that needed to be run in order to unzip the files.

As for the other issue, yes its is a aspect ratio problem that seem to be present on all DVD files over DLNA and on USB, what we need is a means of stretching the image like on the over sources i.e TV etc.
will we ever get it?

Is there any one out there that as a walkround for the problem?

steve

Collapse -
aspect ratio problems
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 2, 2009 3:50 PM PST
In reply to: aspect ratio problems

smorris123,

If it's not a DVD player itself - but a file being sent via DLNA, then it's most likely the source material. There is no stretching when you're dealing with a streamed file, at least that I know of, on the Samsung televisions. So that material would have to be manipulated prior to being sent over DLNA.

--HDTech

Collapse -
l
by smorris123 / November 2, 2009 6:22 PM PST
In reply to: aspect ratio problems

You are very correct, but why is there no way to stretch,Is this not possible?
all I want to do is rip my owned DVD with a standard riping program to a server and play them over DLNA and not have to use another programs to alter the aspect of the video.

Thanks for your reply

Steve

Collapse -
l
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 3, 2009 10:57 AM PST
In reply to: l

smorris123,

The only way to stretch it is to re-encode it into a different aspect ratio.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Not correct UK
by smorris123 / November 3, 2009 9:13 PM PST
In reply to: l
Collapse -
Not correct UK
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 4, 2009 12:26 PM PST
In reply to: Not correct UK

smorris123,

Probably because people are complaining online rather than calling in and complaining to the call centers. I've brought this up on numerous occasions, but I'm reminded that I seem to be the only one asking for this feature. I have, what, 50 people - and only a few from the U.S.?

But the logic surprises me.

People are going to trust their thousand-dollar-plus investment to a modified firmware distributed by a stranger on the Internet? In a different region that their TV is available? After he notes that there's no way to test it?

I don't want to be perceived as being negative with someone else providing a feature that we don't advertise to have, so please don't think I'm downing the idea. But be aware.

So best of luck.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks for all you efforts
by smorris123 / November 4, 2009 4:00 PM PST
In reply to: Not correct UK

I thank you for all your time and effort in relaying our problems to the powers that be.
but it seems that Samsung are getting other thing done that are on this forum, so why not this problem and yes it is a problem.
Is there an e-mail address where we can send our complaints? Perhaps we can all send an e-mail and see if that gets things done

Thanks again

Steve

Collapse -
Firmware update history
by flexie123 / November 5, 2009 5:42 AM PST

Hi,

I'm also a customer from outside the US. Samsung's Belgium website also won't show an option to see the firmware changes.
Where can I obtain the changes in firmware for my ue46b7020 TV?

Collapse -
Firmware update history
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 6, 2009 11:41 AM PST

flexie123,

Either on the Samsung website in your region, or the Samsung Customer Service Center in your region should be able to assist with this request.

--HDTech

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!