Storage forum

Question

New External HDD is not seen by WinXP

by blownit / February 25, 2012 5:35 AM PST

I have recently bought a Maxel Tank h500 external hard drive, which came with an eSATA connection as well as a USB lead. Unfortunately my PC (WinXP) does not sport an eSATA input, and so I obtained an eSATA-to-USB adaptor.. I was able to successfully connect the device to my wife's laptop (Win7) in this way, and have transferred some data to the Maxel Drive.
However when I link Maxel to my PC the system acknowledges that there is a Removable Storage device there, but is unable to find the disk or it's contents, and asks me to put a disk into the device!
Can anyone explain what is likely to be the problem here and how I can get to "see" the contents of the new drive, and make use of the device?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New External HDD is not seen by WinXP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New External HDD is not seen by WinXP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It works in 7 but not XP?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2012 5:45 AM PST
Collapse -
Suppose I partitioned the disk?
by blownit / February 25, 2012 5:53 AM PST

My Home edition of XP has had all the Service packs and updates so should it not be able to see 500 GB?
If size is the problem, should I , perhaps go back to the laptop, partition the drive into recognizable chunks and then try it with the XP PC? Might that work, do you think?

Collapse -
Then the issue I noted is not the issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2012 6:00 AM PST

Be sure to check Disk Management and see if you can assign a drive letter.

Most folk LEARN to partition and format such things in XP SP3 for best effect. Or sharing with the other machines.

There are very long discussions why but I'll just look at the drive and prepare it on XP SP3 (and I'll delete the partitions, create new then use the Quick format because I don't want to wait hours.)

There are more discussions about it but details such as "XP" matter. XP has a lot of limitations that slowly were removed over the last decade.
Bob

Collapse -
XP Disk Management reports "No Media"
by blownit / February 26, 2012 6:26 PM PST

Thanks Bob, but I can't see how I can partition in XP when XP Disk Management reports "No Media" on the HDD. I am able to change the drive letter, but the Computer Management doesn't "see" any media on the disk.
Perhaps I'll need to go to the Win7 laptop and try partitioning there. At least Win7 recognizes that there is media present. What do you think?
Steve

Collapse -
For the no-media issue
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2012 6:03 AM PST

I found I had to use GPARTED to remove the old partitions and get the drive blank. Then I could use it on XP SP3 to partition and format.

This area is, well, yes, one that could have been handled better by some software gorilla.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.