Speakeasy forum

General discussion

New electric car plant to open in Kentucky

by Angeline Booher / August 30, 2008 4:30 AM PDT
Construction is slated to begin in days on a new electric car manufacturing company in Franklin, Kentucky, just north of the Tennessee border.

The new Zap plant will be located about eight miles north of downtown Franklin, in Simpson County.

It has three wheels, two in the front and one in the back, and will go faster than most electric cars have gone before, 145 miles-per-hour

While the Alias retails for $32,500, chances are Simpson County residents will drive some version of the car as everybody in the county gets a $1,000 rebate.

http://www.wkrn.com/Global/story.asp?S=8917611

There is a video to the right of the text version.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New electric car plant to open in Kentucky
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New electric car plant to open in Kentucky
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I recently ran across some material which looked into
by Kiddpeat / August 30, 2008 9:00 AM PDT

electric cars at a deeper level of detail. It turns out there is a bit of a problem. Batteries are nasty beasts. Mass production will encounter serious problems trying to obtain sufficient raw material, and disposal will be even worse. That's the one of the things that frequently happens with new technology. Start using and the warts begin turning up.

Collapse -
Yeap, new technology can be trouble
by Roger NC / August 30, 2008 10:21 AM PDT

just look at all the soot when people started to burn coal instead of wood.

Roger

Collapse -
True and not true, KP.
by Paul C / August 30, 2008 7:37 PM PDT

Not True: Like other manufacturers looking into EV cars these days, Zap will use lithium ion batteries in their vehicles; those batteries are lighter and MUCH easier to recycle than conventional lead-acid batteries.

True: Zap cars, like any EV are not really zero emission vehicles; after all, the electricity has to come from somewhere, and these days, that usually means a fossil fueled generation plant.

I've read and seen stories on solar thermal plants that may justr provide the answer. In these plants, sunlight concentrated by parabolic mirrors heats a dense fluid to some 700 degrees F. The fluid is run through a heat exchanger which boils water or some other lower density fluid to provide steam for a steam turbine generator. The generator is old tech; nuclear plants use precisely this system to actually generate voltage.

To do this, we merely need the POLITICAL will to build the plants over the objections of the NIMBY crowd that screams loudly whenever the topic of erecting more power transmission lines comes up; the rest is up to the EV makers to make their cars more efficient, better performing and cheaper.

Collapse -
As to Zap, their website shows
by drpruner / August 30, 2008 9:25 PM PDT
In reply to: True and not true, KP.

the standard model with Pb-acid battery, and another, more powerful, one with Li-ion. But it may be that various pressures will make the latter the de facto "standard" one.

True enough about the solar thermal. I read about it many years ago- and the heat transfer is proven, as you say- but then not much afterward. BTW the fluid of choice in the nukes was liquid sodium; not your usual household fluid! But, also, not nearly as dangerous in case of an overpressure as what came out of Chernobyl. No nuclear particles to travel with it.

Collapse -
One link to one story on the solar tower
by Roger NC / August 31, 2008 1:59 PM PDT
In reply to: True and not true, KP.
Collapse -
Looks Banned in Boston.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2008 10:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Would be back to all toll roads I guess.
by Roger NC / August 30, 2008 10:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
Back east many of the 1800s toll roads and
by drpruner / August 30, 2008 2:47 PM PDT

canals are still recoverable with a bulldozer, I'm told. Happy

Collapse -
Got to have taxes
by Willy / September 1, 2008 2:46 AM PDT

I have never known a legislator lacking to make new ways to tax or legislate a way to get some revenue. If EV cars became all too popular they will taxed in some form. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
145 mph in a tiny car, in the US?
by drpruner / August 30, 2008 2:51 PM PDT

And this is a good thing? Oh, I see ... "up to 145". So of course, US drivers will exercise their customary good sense ...

For some reason I couldn't run the video, but the "Zap" link in your link goes to the company's site. The also make scooters.

Collapse -
It's not really a car....
by EdHannigan / August 30, 2008 10:20 PM PDT

Basically a glorified motorcycle with a body tacked on. Way too expensive for a two passenger vehicle. Nice try, but a long way from practical.

Collapse -
Don't care! Gotta have one!
by drpruner / September 2, 2008 1:48 PM PDT

Jones, down the block, has one! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?