Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

New e-book reader

by daltonrooney / March 19, 2006 8:26 PM PST

My new object of tech-lust:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/19/irex-reveals-deets-on-its-iliad-ebook-reader/

I don't know if the Buzz Out Loud crew are into e-book readers, but as a student, I'm dying to move over to an electronic reader. This one has wi-fi, a high resolution touchscreen w/ e-ink display and works with PDF, XML, HTML and other document formats (unlike the Sony reader, which requires their lame proprietary software).

This one is more than twice as expensive, though.

Does anyone out there think these things will eventually catch on? I would love to have all of my newspaper, magazine and RSS feeds to automatically be delivered to one of these someday. Add in all of my textbooks, and I'm sold!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New e-book reader
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New e-book reader
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe..
by jialuolu-2096123418310153 / March 20, 2006 7:53 AM PST
In reply to: New e-book reader

Once the price starts dropping

But I'm a student as well with scoliosis so this would be a good thing but I'm still holding out for a super-all-in-one gadget, kind of what I wanted the Origami to be. Right now I carry a cellphone, ipod and ibook and adding this to the mix would make things pretty cumbersome

Collapse -
I'm with you
by daltonrooney / March 20, 2006 9:11 PM PST
In reply to: Maybe..

I do the iPod, cellphone, iBook thing too. Along with all the books I have to carry, my back is killing me.

I would like to imagine a day when (and I know this isn't going to happen before I graduate) I have a small PDA type thing with a really decent camera and MP3 player (the Treo doesn't even come close!), and replace the iBook with either this e-reader thing, or something like a revamped Apple Newton. The Origami just doesn't do it for me, but I know if Apple took on the challenge they would do a decent job of it.

Collapse -
YES!
by eroyandrews / May 5, 2006 8:27 AM PDT

I can see where this thing will take off fast. With the iLiad and all of its features this will be one thing that students can not do without. I am a student as well and quiet frankly I do not want to boot my laptop everytime that I want to connect to the web to do research. With a product like this that can down load files from the college library or web sites assigned to complete research this would be an out standing tool. Hopefully the site will be up and running soon.

Add me to the list.

Collapse -
disruptive tech = lawyer bait
by punterjoe / May 5, 2006 10:50 PM PDT
In reply to: YES!

It sure seems to have potential, but if it seems poised to fundamentally change the way things are done (and who collects royalties on the old way), expect an avalanche of lawyers & draconian DRM restrictions to attempt to bury it.
jaded Joe in Boston

Collapse -
think of the real-world applications for this device!
by Shig2k1 / May 22, 2006 9:30 PM PDT

I love the idea of a linux based epaper notepad replacement.

I have to file incredible volumes of notes/research etc, and the idea of an electronic notepad is extremely inviting. If it's possible to link key pages together with hyperlinks or something then this could easily become my new invaluable work tool!

Collapse -
my wish list
by beelissa / May 22, 2006 11:51 PM PDT

I have an old NEC Mobilpro, and to me, that's the perfect size for mobile computing -- full size keyboard, and the screen is 800 pixels wide, just not as tall as the normal screen. It fits in my purse (okay, I don't have a teeny-tiny purse, but it's not huge either) and the power cord only weighs a couple of ounces, much less than the cord of my laptop. Unfortunately, the technology is so old, it syncs with a serial cable, you can't use it to surf the net or anything.

Here's what I'd like --

A machine about the size and shape of the mobilpro. Like a very small laptop. G

ood battery life and lots of ways to connect to both another computer and directly to the internet.

Then I'd like to see it have a detachable device that had its own rechargeable battery and could be used as a phone and an mp3 player. This part would have a small screen and a keypad like a phone and you'd be able to remove it from the larger device and use it separately for times when you just wanted the phone or the music player. Or you could dock it into the main device and swap files and take advantage of more features (playing video on the larger screen, connecting to the internet, etc.).

It would have USB and Bluetooth and it would be instant-on, so you couldn't have to wait for it to boot. It would have a syncing software to allow you to sync it to another computer, or you could use it as a stand-alone as well.

It would be small and light enough that you could hold it on the commuter train and read a newspaper off it, or lay in bed with it propped on your belly. Or you could take it to the park and lie on a blanket and use it, and if you wanted to read an e-book on it while eating lunch, it would fit on the table, even a small, crowded table at a cafe that is not designed to be an internet cafe.

But, with all those features, If they made such a thing, I wouldn't be able to afford to buy it.

Collapse -
Sure
by SantiagoCrespo / May 22, 2006 11:54 PM PDT
In reply to: my wish list

And I'd like to have a flying car that does 800 miles per gallon

Collapse -
aside from the cost, why is my idea not possible?
by beelissa / May 24, 2006 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Sure

A flying car -- of course it can't happen. But what's so wrong about my idea. It would seem to fill a need. I see so many people complaining about how heavy the laptop is and how many devices they carry around. Wouldn't it be a solution to that?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!