Samsung forum

Question

New DVR broke Soundbar connection to TV

by cyndiwise / June 5, 2015 12:57 PM PDT

My new Samsung TV and new Soundbar have been working perfectly using the TV ARC connection for 8 months. But a few days ago when I swapped an older DVR from the cable company for a new enhanced DVR, suddenly I have no sound at all. The cable company's technician was able to get the Soundbar to work, but ever since I turned off everything that night the Soundbar won't connect with the TV. I've tried calling the cable company and Samsung, but they haven't been able to help me. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this? I have not changed anything about the cable hookups; I only swapped out the HDMI cable and the coaxial cable from the back of the old DVR to the back of the new DVR. The DVR works and the video on the TV works, but there is no sound on the TV.

Details:
Samsung TV Model # UN46EH5300F
Samsung Soundbar # HW-H450
Samsung Blu-ray Disc Player # BD-E5900
Arris DVR # DCX3600-M

All hookups are via HDMI cables. TV & Soundbar are wall mounted.
Troubleshooting I've tried:
When I first paired the TV and Soundbar, I had to turn off the TV speakers (or else both Soundbar & TV speakers were on). Since then I have had to turn on the TV and the Soundbar separately, but mute, volume, and power OFF worked with just the TV remote. I was even able to pair the (old) DVR remote to work mute and volume after turning on TV and Soundbar.
In trying to troubleshoot, I tried to find the TV menu for turning back on the TV speakers but Speaker Settings was grayed out (not clickable) on the TV Menu. (I thought if I turned back on the TV speakers then something might 'reset' and I could start over with pairing the Soundbar to the TV.)

I tried turning off the TV and the Soundbar, then disconnecting the HDMI cable between them. Then I reconnected the HDMI cable to the Soundbar 'HDMI OUT' port and to the TV 'HDMI IN' (ARC) port. I set the Source on the Soundbar to 'D. IN' and then pressed the 'Anynet button on the Soundbar remote to toggle the Anynet function to ON. I was following the instructions here, but still have no sound.
When turned on now, the Soundbar displays 'D. IN' but never connects with the TV. When I look on the TV Menu under Anynet Devices, only the Blu-ray Disc Player is shown. When I click on 'Refresh' under Anynet Devices, it does not find the Soundbar.
I appreciate your help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New DVR broke Soundbar connection to TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New DVR broke Soundbar connection to TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Jun 5, 2015 update for TV.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2015 11:22 PM PDT

While I would try the connections like this:

BD player -> HDMI in to soundbard, HDMI out -> HDTV ARC PORT

I see an update dates Jun 5, 2015 at http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN46EH5300FXZA

ASK SAMSUNG to walk you through this update. I don't do that for reasons such as I can't take responsibility over what it does or the end result. Samsung owns that area.

So my advice is the update and maybe a change in hookup. I've found ARC to be hit and miss.
Bob

Collapse -
Samsung TV Firmware Upgrade
by cyndiwise / June 6, 2015 5:33 AM PDT

Where did you see the date of the update? When I unzipped the compressed file to a USB drive, the file dates were all 3/9/2015.

Collapse -
On their web page.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2015 6:03 AM PDT

The file date is older since it takes them time to test, committee meetings and then put on the web.

"Upgrade File(USB type) (Firmware) ver.2004.0 - All OS (EN, 141.38 MB) ?
Jun 5, 2015 "

I don't mind questions but to save this question I shared the link where I found it.

Collapse -
Answer
Your DVR is to blame
by mexiken / February 21, 2016 12:27 PM PST

This isn't a problem with your soundbar, it is 100% a problem with your DVR. I just got TWC, and I am experiencing the same thing. In fact, there are multiple threads about it. See here:

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Equipment/Arris-DCX3600-kills-HDMI-CEC-control-functions/m-p/75966/highlight/true#M5747

and there's even talk of a Class Action Lawsuit due to that, and other bugs: http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Equipment/TWC-Class-Action-Suit-Arris-DCX3600m-Defective-Firmware-ARC-CEC/m-p/93697#U93697

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?