TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

New DVD formats

by Osa007 / January 1, 2007 6:35 AM PST

Since we do not know which DVD format is going to win the DVD format war I think it is about time we have a vote and let our voices be heard.

Which format is better or what format do you think will win? Bluray or HD

I personally think the HD DVD format is going to win because the DVD players are cheaper than Bluray and seem clearer for some odd reason. Also Bluray has problems if you do not believe me look at Sony and their PS3.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New DVD formats
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New DVD formats
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you seen HD DIVX content.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2007 7:08 AM PST
In reply to: New DVD formats

I was at a recent tradeshow where the DivX folk were showing HD content from DivX on DVD. It's pretty awesome. Too bad they didn't do that.

Bob

Collapse -
I HOPE BLUE RAY WINS I OWN ONE
by stewart norrie / January 1, 2007 7:33 AM PST

"O" it puts out a beautiful hi-def picture a tad better than the h.d. player. I know I will really like it when or if movies are available for rent The movies they do have for sale are movies I allready own.who knows who will win mabey it will go the way of Beta-max ha ha steweeee

Collapse -
my vote is for hddvd
by masterying01 / January 1, 2007 8:16 AM PST

both for the price, and the fact that you only need to buy 1 movie cause it contains hddvd on one side and standard dvd on the other side......instead of buying 2 of the same movie like you have to with bluray.

Collapse -
Low $$$ will win
by sbrasch99 / January 1, 2007 10:44 AM PST
In reply to: my vote is for hddvd

What I have witnessed is most people are concerned about is $$$$$, not quality.

If you take a look at past history back to the 1950s there where great black and white TVs for the time, one comes to mind is Sentinel, it was used in most TV station studios as a monitor. But there was one big problem with it, it cost big $$$$$, not many purchased it. However two of the big winners at that time where cheap money junks named Admiral And Emerson. The qulity picture was bad but the people enjoyed them because of low cost.

Now let us step forward in history to Bata vs VHS . Bata had a better quality picture and could store longer time in recorded picture. Well what happened low $$$$$ won again.

Sometimes sales hype can divert people into flat panel TVs from CRTs using the size and weight as not a good choice. But hype between HD DVD vs Blue Ray will be neutralize do to the equal amount of $$$$$ behind each format.

In my estimate from being a victim of history low $$ will win and I am not going to be bitten again and will wait. If you are smart do the same.

Marc

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?