General discussion

new dslr

Hi all

I am really unaware of what to look for in dSLR cameras.i ahve een reading but dont understandand really the specifications that well.maybe when i have one i will know.i want to buy one.At present i have a sony T77 which is a point and click and i carry that everywhere i go.

1)I would like to know which (company's)dslr camera to go for ?-NIKON or CANON.and why ?

2)i like to click potrait ,landscape or during travelling,at night/low light and my growing 2 year old.

3)i am looking for something which would not be too high end.But where i can start off with(things get outdated every other day.)

4) i have read that for each type of photograpgy the specific kinds of lens will give better results.However i want o know if any kind of lens will fit one particular type of camera body ?

Please help.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: new dslr
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: new dslr
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Not that hard for the questions

1.) Canon or Nikon, it really doesn't matter which one.

2.)With that type of photography, there isn't that much high demanding so any of the entry levels or mids of Nikon or Canon will work.

3.) Check answer to #2

4.) You are generally right for the lenses for different scenarios or types of photography, but you don't have to worry about lens not fitting the camera, because your not buying FF so it's not a problem.

I'm always a big proponent of buying the lowest I can deal with and spend the money on the lenses. For Nikon, the lowest I'd go is the D3100 and for Canon the lowest would be the XS.

- Collapse -
lens??

thnks for the reply.whats FF ?

1)so the nikon d3100 comes with any lens or just the body alone.what kind of lens comes with it.
2) what lens should i buy separately for the kind of photography i like.-landscape,children,night or low light ?
3)is there anythng else i should buy or look for ?

regards

- Collapse -
Lenses and accessories

There are a lot of lenses and accessories one can get for D-SLR, sometimes seem to be an unending want-list. How many and what to get depend on your budget.

The "FF" means full frame. Nikon has D3x, D3s and D700 that are full frame D-SLRs, which have larger sensors and have no crop factor compared to the old 35mm film SLRs. The rest are the more economical APS C size cameras with smaller sensors (1.5x crop factor) like D300s, D90, D5000, D3100, etc.

The Nikon D3100 is an entry level D-SLR, it has 3 fps, so not really an action camera. In 3 years when your child grows older and starts to play sports, you may wish for a faster D-SLR with 5fps or faster. But you may need to consider your budget.

Many D-SLRs do have the option of buying the camera body by itself or with a kit lens as a package. The kit lens is usually 18-55mm lens, which is a good start for the beginners but this lens is not likely to be adequate for low light handheld shots. A better general purpose lens will be Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8, which can do most of your photography (landscape, portrait, night or low light) but not sure if you want to pay $1400 for it. Sigma has a cheaper version 18-50mm f/2.8 which is about $420.

As your child grows older and does sports in 2-3 years, then you may want to get a mid range tele like the 70-200mm f/2.8 from Nikon or Sigma. This mid range tele can take both indoor, low light and outdoor action photos. The cheaper 70-300mm and 50-200mm lenses are more for outdoor actions.

Other important things to get include a good tripod, an external bounce flash that can swivel and tilt (with a third party light diffuser), extra battery, a camera bag, extra memory cards, a lens cleaning kit and a photo editing software. As you get more into photography, you will find out many more things to get.

In general plan to spend about 1/3 budget on camera body and 2/3 on the lenses and accessories. A newbie or novice often spends too much on the camera body with little left to buy lenses and accessories. The lenses and accessories can often make a bigger difference in photo quality than upgrading a camera body.

CNET Forums

Forum Info