Computer Help forum

General discussion

New downloaded programs won't open, older programs R OK, But

I downloaded the free CCleaner software and it helped me resolve an issue when Comodo Antivirus would not uninstall, but I believe I used it a little too often and now am running into many computer troubles.

I also believe I have a number of virus or trojans affecting my system. I noticed a load of programs running in my Task Manager and I began doing Google searches on them, then, my disc defrag wouldn't work; Java stopped working as well as other programs.

I have problems opening new Free downloaded programs from Downloads.com. On one program I downloaded, ProcessExplorer, I clicked on "save", then "open", nothing happens. It installs into my documents, everything I click there does nothing. The same happens with HijackThis.

I'm sure I've messed up or deleted my settings, but I'm also sure theres a bug. Everything stopped working this morning, I had to open windows in safe mode and ran CHKDSK, after that I was able to access the internet again.

I'm running on a Dell Dimension 2400, Windows XP V.2002 Service Pack 2, Pentium 4, IE 7.0, my security is CA Security package (freeware through my internet provider).

I'd like to use the Process Explorer, I'd appreciate any help you can give.

Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New downloaded programs won't open, older programs R OK, But
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New downloaded programs won't open, older programs R OK, But
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
trogans

In reply to: New downloaded programs won't open, older programs R OK, But

Firstly download the free version of AVG antivirus and the free version of Adaware. Run both of these and see if it helps
Regards

Collapse -
beware

And it might be a good idea to stop downloading all this "free" software, as much of it is useless and/or loaded with viruses, spyware, etc.

If you are looking for good free software to do a certain task, ask around places like these forums, and you are bound to get some good advice.

Collapse -
Can't open downloaded programs

In reply to: beware

I appreciate both of you're suggestions in the two replies, but 1) anything I download will not open; and 2) any freeware I've downloaded ever have been at the advice a/o reviews I've read from other readers.

I always read the pros and cons of any given software offers, but somewhere along the lines I apparently did something I shouldn't have with my settings and also allowed some trojans, viruses or spy/adware to infect my system.

I need direction as to how to check my settings so I can open downloaded programs.

I've checked with my Security software company but I keep ending up with some bumbling dope who either does not address my problems and then logs me out of our live sessions, or I end up with other problems.

Yesterday after running CHKDSK and getting my system working again, I was still not able to open any "downloaded" software that got attached to my documents.

The system ran very slow, I then ran Defrag and it was full, and I mean FULL of red fragments, where as only three days ago it was fine.

I would like to run that program "ProcessExplorer" to see what is running in my task manager.

I'd appreciate any direction as to how to check my settings which would allow me to open this file.

Thanks for the advice...best wishes!

Collapse -
Re: downloaded programs won't open

Apparently your system is compromised. Things to try:
1. Download it somewhere else, copy the exe (works for Process Explorer) to a USB-stick and try to run from there.
2. Rename the .exe to .com and try again to run it.
3. Do the EXE-file registry fix from http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm and try again (rename the program back to .exe first)

Hope this helps.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.