Desktops forum

General discussion

New Desktop Lots of Gaming

I'm looking at buing a new Desktop computer. I game a lot, probably going to be playing The Orange Box from Half-Life and when Warhammer comes out will be playing that quite a bit. So I am looking for a good gaming machine for a good price. My budget is around 1600 Dollars. I have looked at the Dell XPS 410 with Intel Core 2 Q6600 Quad-Core(8MB L2 Chache, 2.4 GHz, WIndows Vista, 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 800MHZ, 320GB Searial ATA 3GB/s Hard Drive 7200 RPM,48x Duel combo drive, 256MB Nvidia GeForce 8600GT video card, AGEIA PhysX Physics accelerator. This set up gets priced out at about 1525 dollars. Will this be a good set up for gaming with good graphics and little to no lag? Is there other pcs out there that offer more for around the same price tag? And with those specs do you recommend upgrading any component to increase performance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Desktop Lots of Gaming
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Desktop Lots of Gaming
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Its all in your video card

In reply to: New Desktop Lots of Gaming

>>>256MB Nvidia GeForce 8600GT video card

This isn't the highest video card you could get. If you were only a mild gamer this wouldn't be to bad. You want to get 8800 (they come in like 3 or 4 models). Also the bigger your screen is more memory you have the better. These can come up to 640 mb. ATI also has a new card the 2900 XT that comes in 512mb or 1 Gb. Then its a matter if you want to run SLI (Two Nvidia cards together) or crossfire (two ATI cards together, this would be a better option then the PhysX card, not many games use this) In short... if you really are this big into gaming get at a Nvidia 8800. I got a 8800gt with 320mb and I'm running fine on a 22" widescreen (the 320 version is like $140 less). but I was building my machine. you well have to shop around or see if you can upgrade the dell.

Collapse -
gaming desktop suggestions

the ageia card is somewhat of a waste if you're budget constrained. there are only a handful of physics enabled games and the ageia card won't speed up your gaming... in fact, it may slow it down since it enables advanced features that place a higher load on the cpu. also, the 8600gt is a low-end gamer and certainly the weak link in a quad core setup.

dump both the 8600gt and ageia card and get a geforce 8800gts. if the dell configurator doesn't offer an 8800gts, check out the gateway fx-530qs: http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529667029.php. it has a bigger hard drive and the 8800gts for $1300.

Collapse -
Going away from DELL leaning toward IBuyPower and Vigor

I have noticed I can get a much more powerful machine for the same price if I went with someone like IBuyPower, Are these good companies to go through, I have a spec on a computer I came up with let me know what you think and if its worth it. It even comes with a pretty nice speaker sub set. No monitor but that is an easy fix and with this config comes to $1410 the name of the computer is the Gamer Paladin 850NX. I can get a comparable computer from Vigor for around the same price. Do you guys recommend IBuyPower, Vigor, or a different company to go through?
Power Supply :? 550 Watt -- Power Supply SLI Ready
Processor :? [=== Quad Core ===] Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (4x 2.4GHz/8MB L2 Cache/1066FSB)
Processor Cooling :? [New !!!] iBUYPOWER Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit --- [for INTEL CPU]
Motherboard :? eVGA NForce 680i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0 Dual PCI-E MB
Memory :? 1024MB [512MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand
Video Card :? NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB w/DVI + TV Out Video
Video Card Brand :? === High Performance === eVGA Brand Video Card Powered by NVIDIA
Hard Drive :? 320 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache]
CD/DVD Drive :? 16x DVD-ROM Drive Black
CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive :? [** Special !!! ***] 18X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD

Collapse -
best for games

In reply to: Going away from DELL leaning toward IBuyPower and Vigor

if ya games ya want then you want them to run at there full potential, 3 important things are for games, cpu, ram, graphics card.
i play games and have intel core 2 duo e6400 cpu, 1 gb ddr ram and a ati 512mb graphics card and it plays games like a dream.
so i would say if ya sporting a core duo 2 or above at least a gig of ram and at least a 512mb nvidia or ati g card u will be sorted.

or get a playstation 3 lol

Collapse -
I'd build it yourself

In reply to: Going away from DELL leaning toward IBuyPower and Vigor

1GB of RAM is more or less insufficient for modern top level gaming, because of system requirements, and I'm wary of whatever value power supply that system includes.

It should only cost about $650-$850 to build a system capable of most modern games, if you don't want to/can't build the system yourself, stay with reputable manufacturers with solid warranties, Dell, Alienware, Gateway, Apple (you can load Windows on modern apple systems, and a number of modern titles play on OS X). I would avoid HP if possible, because their quality has declined quite a bit in the last 5 to 6 years.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.