Alert

New Cumulative Update KB4284848 With Multiple Fixes

Not necessarily an update that will cure all evils but be sure to install last week's "2018-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 (KB4284848)" that fixes a variety of issues in Windows 10. It changes the Windows 10 OS build number to 17134.137. It addresses a number of compatibility issues, streaming problems for various TV content providers, as well as other things.

Here's a link to the Knowledge Base article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4284848/windows-10-update-kb4284848

You should be able to get the update by opening and running Settings-Update and Security-Check for Updates...or you can download the offline installer directly from the Microsoft Update Catalog from the link below:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4284848

Hope this helps.......

Grif

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: New Cumulative Update KB4284848 With Multiple Fixes
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: New Cumulative Update KB4284848 With Multiple Fixes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
But for Home Licenses this update is a real game changer!

Hi Grif,

This update (combined with the April through June changes and cont. into August) was also a MAJOR change point for HOME license users. In my opinion, the following issues might warrant purchase of a professional license, despite the doubling in cost:

1. users personal data is being manipulated and cannot be changed back.

Example: On my machine, OneNOTE2007 files are now stored and saved in a read only Office 365 format. Most annoyingly, they cannot be saved to an external drive except as 365 files. (There still exists a read only attribute toggle but it reverts at once.)

2. All drivers have been "migrated" to a digital certificate from Microsoft as of July 1, 2017. No old drivers were saved. Microsoft advises they are no longer needed!!!

Yet, the outcome of this meddling is that on my machine, the monitor no longer works as designed, the sound was reset to 27% on the monitor though it showed in settings as 100%, media player no longer shows anything above 380 p even if the video is available in 720 HD, etc, etc.

3. Restore points prior to the current month are no longer saved.

4. User status was unilaterally changed by MS to system administrator status. Not sure full extent of issue as have been trying not to engage this issue until have time to research implications.

5. Icing on the cake? For HP machines, the D: Drive recovery partition has been completely overwritten. Therefore, one can no longer restore OS to as at factory date.

I found this out somewhat by accident by typing "HP Recovery Manager" into Cortina as the HP website said this was a way to find the list of programs saved on its Recovery Drive (D;Drive). Instead of the list, was this cryptic message: 1. this Windows Upgrade has DISABLED the Reinstall Drivers and/or applications feature! 2. And Windows Upgrade has DISABLED the HP Recovery Manager's ability to Restore the system.

My reading of the situation above? "Resistance is futile" Happy

6. Kaspersky is now taking up 100% of the disc space and 100% CPU memory to run a scan so that a scan cannot be performed at the same time as any other task. Used to be able to anything I wanted at the same time before July 1st update. Though Windows Defense was set to OFF before July 1st.

8."Help" from MS via chat or support is in my experience ineffective. Virtual assistants refer to outdated material; chat folks seems not to have been properly trained though they have all been told to say, "this time I will help but you will be charged next time" (for issues MS UPdates created, no less!). Even had one chat person simply dive into changing things inside my machine without even saying hello - terminated that as quickly as I could b-b-b-but really - the unmitigated gall! Scarey stuff.

8. Using Feedback hub to give the requested feedback on the updates, had, for me, the "co-incidental timing" of an immediate suspended use of the email address identified as my Microsoft account. Rationale: fingered as possible spam sender! Subsequent multiple emails and chats have not convinced them I am a real person.

Which leads me to one last note. I tried tonight on this site to change my user name and email so I could get mail from CNET at that email address. Weirdly, it looked to me as though, I was into someone-else's profile. Or maybe some other screen came up that I could not find a way to navigate through. Then, I thought that I perhaps had signed in with the wrong @extension.

Anyway, I created this third user name with a third email address. So if some of the issues I mentioned create 'deja vu' for you moderators, just look at the look at Q's and A's on profile of yourHELPisappreciated and renamed tonight as THANKS_for_help.

Finally, I had promised to start a thread on newbies for two of the issues, but given all of the above, there does not seem like there is much point now. I hope that the above notes are not totally redundant and do apologize for such a long posting to read through as well. Brevity has never been my long suite!

I wonder if Win 10 home license users are either unaware, complacent, or like myself to date - simply overwhelmed trying to sort out the multiple lines of attack? Maybe there are lots of such comments somewhere online and I just am not discovering them. Certainly, I am far from competent at online research.

Again, Thanks for your all your help. It is appreciated!
Cheers, SomewhatMystified Happy

- Collapse -
Just Some Points I've Seen...

Are you sure it was The 4284848 numbered update which caused the problem? We had absolutely no problems here with this update but did indeed have a few issues when the full Windows 10 April 2018 update/upgrade took place. The Windows 10 April 2018 update/upgrade is more like a full Windows install and many of the things you describe were commonplace. And although many received the update/upgrade early, many haven't received it till now. Just curious. See my thoughts below;

1. Interesting that you're seeing this file change issue as I've not seen this issue on any of mine or my customer's computers. Any of our machines which still have Office 2007 can still use it normally but none of our folks use OneNote. But it's important to note that Office 2007 is no longer supported by Microsoft and it doesn't surprise me that they may be doing something to yank our chains.

2. Although Windows 10 updates frequently change/install device drivers to a MS version, we've always been able to visit the device driver manufacturer's website, or the computer manufacturer's website and download and install the correct driver, even if it's an older one. Yep, you might not be able to "Roll back Driver" in Device Manager but you should be able to install the one you want.

3. Restore points are commonly removed after the large updates because the update acts like a full Windows install and older restore points wouldn't work as they should. This is normal.

4. You stated: "User status was unilaterally changed by MS to system administrator status." If you mean ALL users on the computer were changed to those with admin rights, I've not seen this at all. Users here have remained the same.

5. The HP Recovery Partition issue actually started in 2015 because of stretching/shrinking the C: drive partition of the previous OS such as Windows 7. Unfortunately, it's one of the reasons we recommend creating a System Image before performing the larger update/upgrades.

6. As far as running Kaspersy or any other program that doesn't perform as it should, we've seen such issues but normally can correct them by uninstalling the program and reinstalling it. In addition, running "chkdsk /f /r /x" from an elevated command line seems to fix many such problems.

8. As to MS help and chat and such, sorry, I don't use it.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Thanks for detailed response, Grif

Hi Grif,

I sure didn't expect such a detailed response! Thanks for the time it took you to answer each of my points above.

Thought I ought to at least let you know that I am grateful as well as to admit that I was in error about some of my timing assumptions. My machine never did have any big problems in April. But a look through File Explorer menus at Properties shows that April was indeed the date that many of the issues I mentioned were downloaded onto my machine. July WAS the date for all the driver "migration" to digital certificates. That's when most of my issues arose. Except for May & June changes that got my attention with OneNote 2007.

I do appreciate your very gentle and politely implied reminder to be precise in my posts. Wink

Re 1. Well, on mine, Word 2007 never did install quite right. It has to reinstall itself EVERY time I want to use it! So I don't bother - just use text. Excel 2007 is fine. And OneNote 2007 was fine until May when it converted all the pages to OneNote 2016. But the making them all read only really got my attention in June.
Re 2. And yes, I DO expect I can roll back the drivers for the monitor. Perhaps, I was just being pessimistic about MS changing them back again. And thanks to another post here, I found yet another place to ask them NOT to do this - in System Protection. And also in the HP support menus on my machine there is another one. I am learning so much reading and reading on this site.
Re 3. Thanks for your assurance that this is normal and for more clarity on what a build it and is not.
Re 4. Only one user and only 1 administrator - both me. What disturbs me is that MS decided FOR me, what I can and cannot do on my own machine. There is also a permission level called System. And again you were right, Grif. The date of these change WAS April. Have been ignoring this longer than I thought. Wink
But what was interesting when I checked the dates in the Windows properties I found 3 levels I had never heard of before - creator owners, trusted installers, application packages, restricted application packages...all of which allow, I assume, Microsoft to retroactively assert rights of some kind over Win 10?
Re 5. I don't know when the Hp Recovery Partition change may or may not have been done. The machine was purchased in June of 2017. Despite the notice I found in Cortina, and in the HP notes, when I looked at properties itself tonight, D: drive shows that it is almost full still so maybe the data is still there. Of course, could just be copy of the newest build/versions. And, I of course have no-one to blame but myself for not doing the backup as soon as I got the machine home. I know better and complacency about the HDD being new is no excuse. Wink
6. Yes, I am sure it can be fixed with the method you suggest. Kaspersky staff have sent me lots of suggestions that I have yet to study and do.
8. Sorry for complaining about MS chat and staff on this site. Should not have done that. One of the things I like so much here is the positive tone of posts.

So again, just wanted to express gratitude for you and others kind souls who volunteer personal time, which has to be considerable. Bless you for sharing your experience and time.

Cheers,
Thanks_for_ help. It is appreciated!

- Collapse -
Glad To Help & One More Thought...

You mentioned above that there is only one user and you are the administrator. That's not a safe approach. Here, we recommend that you create AT LEAST two login accounts with administrator rights on a computer. Because we frequently see account profiles go "bad", if you don't have that second admin account on the computer, you have a big problem. So create a second admin account and even if you never use it, be confident that you have the backup account that can make changes if the first one fails.

There are a number of methods to create that account but one of the easiest is to enable the "hidden" Administrator account on the computer using the instructions below:

Click on Start, then type: “cmd” in the Search line, then RIGHT click on Command Prompt” at the top of the search page, choose “Run as administrator”.
At the command prompt, type: Net user administrator /active:yes
Press the “Enter” key..
Restart the computer and an unpassworded Administrator account should now be available on the Welcome screen. It's best to create a password for it in Control Panel-User Accounts. (Be sure to REMEMBER the password someway, somehow.

To disable it: Open the elevated command window again, and type:
Net user administrator /active:no
Press the “Enter” key.
----------------------------------------

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
GRIF- YES a HUGE help - thanks yet again!

Hi Grif,
Thanks very much. I have had zero experience with admin accounts. Would just have continued happily as a user had Microsoft not forced this on me. So I greatly appreciate your wise counsel above re: 2nd admin account. And the detailed steps are a big boon, too.
Very helpful...indeed. Grin
Cheers,
Thanks_for_Help

- Collapse -
It's a game changer......

Thanks for your post. Completely agree. I have not been paying much attention to what's been going on with Windows 10......until about a week ago when I woke up to a BSOD and nothing worked to restore it. Fortunately I back up regularly so I just reinstalled Windows. But I also went looking for answers and it was then I realized all the fun I had been missing, and learned about the things you noted above. I got everything back up and running well.........and then the "September 11, 2018—KB4457144 (Monthly Rollup)" installed. Holy crap! What did they do? All of my settings (that I had just got set up) were reset. System Restore was turned off......and for whatever reason that I still cannot figure out, my internet was slow as molasses. I tried everything to fix it, to no avail. So I rolled back the installation and shut off Windows Update......for now. I'm not sure what the answer is longer term.

- Collapse -
How do you tell which version is currently installed?

I just built a gaming computer and installed Windows 10 via a thumb drive. How do I know which version/build is installed?

Also curious if I need to do other updates before running the Cumulative Update, or will it patch the dependencies for the current fix?

Thanks,

Heirofnada

- Collapse -
On Win10, Type "winver" in the Search Line, Press "Enter"...

That's how to determine which version you have installed.

In addition, monthly Cumulative Updates are inclusive of all the previous updates since the latest full upgrade build. For example, installing the latest Windows 10 April 2018 upgrade brought all Windows 10 computers to version 1803 Build17134.1. All the cumulative updates since then take the build number up so that we are currently at Version 1803 Build 17134.228. That's what I'm see on our computers right now. On the next patch Tuesday, there should be a new normal cumulative update that will increase the build number to 17134.xxx.

But.....Assuming the next full upgrade occurs in October as Microsoft has recently stated, it will change the Version number to something like Version 1809 and the primary build number will change as well.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Post was last edited on September 7, 2018 4:50 PM PDT

CNET Forums

Forum Info