Computer Help forum

General discussion

New Computer with Strange Problems

I have had my HP Pavilion 810n for about 3 months. I run
WinXP Home,athlon 6400 3300+ processor, pre-installed
Sv Pk II with all current updates, Norton Internet Security 2005, and three antispyware programs.

For some time now I continue to find distorted or superimposed print on website pages--CNET being one of
them occasionally. I've had other people check the sites and they don't have that problem. This is completely new to me since no virus or spyware of a serious nature has been shown to be on my machine.

I have conferred with HP tech support and they have been very helpful but nothing has fixed the following problems:

1. Machine would not make recovery disks and HP sent
them to me overnight FedEX.
2. System ran a dfks disk check without being prompted.
3. A Could Not Read Memory error showed up on shutdown.
4. During the day an error message appeared saying
my machine had recovered from a serious error.
5. IE needed to close on opening--MS error base said
add-ons were involved
6. Shut down problem again said Win32 needed to close

These problems have occurred between 3-31 and 5-12.

With the help of HP I did find some memory dumps, trimmed the startup list, etc. Their last suggestion
was that I had spyware. I did find some regkeys with
medium grade spyware and removed them.

I operated a Win98 HP for 6 years and had no experiences like these certainly not when it was NEW.
Will I have to scrub and re-install WinXP? Do I have
a lemon that needs replacing. When it is working which is most of the time, I love the speed of this machine.

I'm sorry this is long but this is a convoluted set of
problems. Anyone had any similar experiences? I need
some more expert heads than mine. Thanks for any
ideas you can give me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Computer with Strange Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Computer with Strange Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Digging through and cleaning out the various layers....

In reply to: New Computer with Strange Problems

of spyware/malware infestations, can still leave residual side effects which never seem to go away. When I get to this point, I will backup my files, format and reinstall. It's the only sure way to know you have a clean machine.

Collapse -
You know?

Collapse -
Re: New Computer with Strange Problems

In reply to: You know?

Thanks to those who confirmed what I have already suspected--my problems are the residual effects of
spyware.

These are the programs I run: Spybot Search and Destroy; SpySubtract Pro, and a trial version of
CounterSpy.

Spybot found 58 registry keys affected by BackWeb Lite. SpySubtract found 20 keys affected by CoolWeb
Search. Certainly most experts seem to believe that no one spyware program will find them all. I am very
impressed with the free version of Spybot which runs in the background and with the paid Spysubtract which also runs
in background. The jury is still out on CounterSpy
but PC World really likes its interface.

As bad as I hate to, I think I have to do as recommended--backup and start over with a scrub. It is painful as I just have everything set like I want it, but such is the cyber world we are living in.
Thanks,
Donna

Collapse -
Also...

In reply to: Re: New Computer with Strange Problems

You may want to try MS AntiSpyware Beta, which is pretty decent and free for now or a very long trail period. Also, WebRoot's Spyware Remover, as trailware is good too. Once you get one, update it and run it. Hope this helps amoongest what others mentioned.

adios -----WIlly Happy

Collapse -
Does Spybot, in fact, run in the background???

In reply to: Re: New Computer with Strange Problems

Never seen any indication of that on my computers.

Collapse -
Spybot in Background

In reply to: Does Spybot, in fact, run in the background???

In the start-up tray it maintains an icon called Search and Destroy IE Resident. If I make changes or install anything it will come up and say it has detected a change and do I want to allow it or deny it. The old version of Spybot did not do that. I do still have to run scans as before but why would it detect changes if not running in the background.
Donna

Collapse -
If one

If one of these spyware programs is Spybot Search & Destroy, and you said you have a HP computer, your problem may be with the removal of Back Web Lite. I also have a HP computer and when Back Web Lite was removed, I had problems.

I had to open Spybot Search & Destroy

click on Recovery

Recover all the Back Web Lite files

then click on mode

click on advanced

click on settings

click on ignore products

go down until you find Back Web lite and put a check mark in the box. Then close program.

Shut down and restart your computer.

Then try it to see if it works.

Let us know.

Collapse -
Dangers of Backweb Lite

In reply to: If one

Very interesting info that you provided. Here is a
site discussing the same problem that I found when I put Backweb Lite into Google:
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1115218976

It makes it appear that HP and others that we would normally trust are into spyware also. Removal is necessary because this is a real worry-wart if it remains on computer.

My machine is working fine now, nothing has been hijacked or made inoperable. I do still have two sites on which text is distorted but I'm not going to scrub for that.
Donna

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank you, you were right

In reply to: Dangers of Backweb Lite

Collapse -
I was wrong

In reply to: If one

I was wrong about the Backweb lite. It has to be removed. However, it will not totally remove. You'll need a reg cleaner to remove it

Sorry for giving the wrong information

Collapse -
Backweb Lite Removal

In reply to: I was wrong

I've had no more problems with it after I let Spybot
Search and Destroy version 1.3 remove it. It corrected 58 registry keys and it tried to disable Spybot but I kept working with it and the program had quarantined these 58 keys. This version is far more
intense than others they have had and it does run in
the background; for now I plan to keep it as one of my spyware arsenal.
Donna

Collapse -
I had to

In reply to: Backweb Lite Removal

I had to

click start

Click Run

regedit

Then I searched the registry for Backweb

I had tons of registry files to delete. The uninstall program nor the registry cleaner would remove them all. After I did all the removals, I then restarted my computer and it now works great.

Thanks again

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.