Desktops forum

General discussion

New Computer will not power for more than 20 secs

by trainwrecka / March 4, 2005 12:30 PM PST

Problem: Computer turns on, nothing on monitor, but powers off after 20 or so secs.

Mobo: ASUS P5GD1-VM
http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P5GD1-VM&langs=09

Intel P4 (obviously0

RAM: Kingston 512MB

HD: WD 250GB

Power: 500W ATX

this was a custom built computer, and this is the first time I am powering it up so i am not sure what the prob is.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Computer will not power for more than 20 secs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Computer will not power for more than 20 secs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PSU
by GMartin2R / March 4, 2005 3:06 PM PST

do you have both the 20pin and the 4-pin connectors hooked up? just eliminating stuff...

Collapse -
Both Connected
by trainwrecka / March 4, 2005 10:30 PM PST
In reply to: PSU

yes both are hooked up. i even unplugged and reconnected just to make sure.

my ATX 20 pin has a "20 to 24 pin" adapter on it that allows it to plug into my 24 pin mobo. bought the adapter from new egg and they said it would work.

Collapse -
hmm k...
by GMartin2R / March 6, 2005 3:48 PM PST
In reply to: Both Connected

maybe try popping the adaptor off and stick it directly to the board. given of course that you know which end goes where. on mine it was pretty foolhardy. it would only go in one way; 20 or 24 pin...

Collapse -
Adapter Question
by trainwrecka / March 6, 2005 9:38 PM PST
In reply to: hmm k...

So you mean take the 20 to 24 pin adpater off and plug the 20 pin psw directly into the 24 pin mobo?

Collapse -
Overheat
by cartmanken / March 4, 2005 11:36 PM PST

I had a similar problem with my first build... It was the cpu overheating due to a faulty fan/heatsink. Make sure you heatsink is properly installed and that your fan is working.
Another thing, make sure the cpu matches the mobo specs.

Collapse -
Nope not it
by trainwrecka / March 5, 2005 7:58 AM PST
In reply to: Overheat

Heatsink is fine

Collapse -
Check and recheck componets
by Willy / March 6, 2005 2:44 AM PST
In reply to: Nope not it

Guessing here...

Did you remove the protective tape for the HSF thermal pad setup before placing on cpu when mounting it? Plus, everything was ordinated and correct connections, cables, etc. Make sure the ram is installed in the first slot so labeled. You can even remove the cpu itself just to see if the mtrbd. beeps when powering-UP. If it doesn't beep it has other problems.

enjoy -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Check this
by wizard_55 / March 6, 2005 4:54 AM PST

Make sure the power supply is set to 115 volt not 220 volt.

Collapse -
"24 Pin Power Supply
by nworley / March 11, 2005 11:26 PM PST

Trainwreck:

Viewing that board indicates that the power supply is a 24 pin ATX rather than a standard 20 pin ATX. assuming that you have the correct power supply, then check that the CPU Fan is hooked up to the correct header. This board has smart fan technology and in some instances it will cause shutdown if the CPU fan is not hooked up correctly.

Collapse -
PROBLEM SOLVED
by trainwrecka / March 12, 2005 7:14 AM PST
In reply to: "24 Pin Power Supply

thanks "nworley" that was the problem. i actually had it taken to a shop and checked out for 60 bucks. they said the heatsink was connected incorrectly. so problem solved. but now i have another problem ... =)

Collapse -
"Glad You got it fixed"
by nworley / March 12, 2005 8:19 AM PST
In reply to: PROBLEM SOLVED

I really like it when a problem is solved, it just adds more known information to the mix. I am sorry about the 60 bucks but I guess the piper must be paid.
What is the other problem?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!