Computer Newbies forum

Question

New computer...what do I need to take off old?

by crzyallday0514 / May 11, 2011 5:40 AM PDT

Just got a new computer and need to know what I need to take off the old one. I have a 160 GB hard disk. Need to know what to be careful of, etc. Also got Office 2010 and don't know if my Word 2003 documents will work with 2010. I was running XP on old, will be running Windows 7 on new. I had previously thought I'd stick with XP since I never had any trouble with it and just get Office 2010 but heard that Windows 7 makes you upgrade to 2010. So I want to be aware of any difficulty I might run into. Don't want to transfer anything I don't need to. I also was told that some of my programs might not work with Windows 7. How can I determine what programs will work and what won't? Do I need to wipe old computer and how? Probably a lot of other ? need to ask. I'd appreciate any and all help. Are any of the other forums appropriate for this type of post?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New computer...what do I need to take off old?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New computer...what do I need to take off old?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I have Windows 7, 64 bit and Office 2003.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2011 5:52 AM PDT

There must be some rumor about that 7 and forcing us to 2010 Office but it's untrue. What is true is that Office 2003 does run but you must install an update to steer clear of some issues. I noted it in the Cnet Office forum at this link -> http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6129_102-380443.html?tag=contentBody;threadListing

Another tip is to uninstall the Office 2010 trial version before installing your Office 2003.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Transfer...
by rok_starr / May 11, 2011 6:10 AM PDT

Files and such that you deem important. That's really a personal opinion. 2010 is backwards compatible w/2003 format.

If you want to keep running '03, OKAY... but I'd suggest going through with the upgrade. The interface is different, but soon you'll get used to it. Plus, there's the whole support thing. Microsoft will stop supporting it (but you'll still be able to find old, old forums for help, yay Google)

Some old programs may or may not work w/Win7... you should be able to google around and find out. But for the most part, you can run compatibility mode.

I would wipe the old computer later- after you know you have all the stuff you want.

Good luck!

-Sarah

Collapse -
Transfer
by crzyallday0514 / May 11, 2011 4:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Transfer...

Yes, I'm going ahead and upgrading to 2010. What do you mean by compatibility mode...do I find that in the Microsoft site or is it in Win7?

Already decided I better wait to wipe like you said...have to google on how to do that.

Should I clean up the registry before I transfer? I'm sure there's lots on there that I don't have programs for. I had started using RevoInstaller which also cleans up the registry values but there's 3 yrs. of junk before that. I'm just really nervous about this because I know that learning Win7 and Office 2010 is going to have a learning curve. Thank goodness the bills are paid!

What about my programs that don't have anything to do with Microsoft? Will they transfer?? If not, I'm not worried about the ones with CDs but what about ones that I don't have CDs? Thanks.

Collapse -
Re: transferring programs
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 11, 2011 4:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Transfer

Just copying the folder in Program Files might work and might not work. You don't know until you tried.
It's better to install from the original setup program (you downloaded or bought on CD) or - if possible - the latest version.

Kees

Collapse -
re: re
by rok_starr / May 11, 2011 10:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Transfer

Kees is right- use the original install disc for non-windows programs. In Win7 you can right click on a program and use the "troubleshoot compatibility" to check if it might/might not work. And if you go to Properties, there's (usually) a compatibility tab that you can set to run in compatibility mode for Win XP SP3, etc. If you don't have the CDs you *might* be able to find and download them off the internet.

If you want to clean the registry w/a tool you trust, go ahead. But ... wow 3 years could take a while to clean! The "learning curve" to windows 7 isn't really as bad as you might think- most of the differences are in looks. Instead of "my computer" you have "computer". "My documents" is now just "documents", etc. B/c the graphics are so different, it looks/feels a little foreign, but you'll get used to it. The new office layout took me a while to get used to where everything is, but now I wouldn't even consider going back to the standard menus!

Here's a win7 getting started: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/getting-started

Office 2010: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/getting-started-with-office-2010-FX101822272.aspx

Collapse -
re: re: re Transfer
by crzyallday0514 / May 12, 2011 5:50 AM PDT
In reply to: re: re

Thank you so much for the links. Thanks for the "wow 3 years could take a while to clean" Happy Actually, I have cleaned it periodically so shouldn't be that bad but thanks for the warning!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?