Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

New Computer, simple Question (i think)

by Supermanxix / February 20, 2008 11:52 AM PST

Well i just purchased a new computer for the first time. Here are the hardware and such.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Computer, simple Question (i think)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Computer, simple Question (i think)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: memory
by Kees Bakker / February 20, 2008 4:37 PM PST

You'll need the same type of memory, but not necessarily the same brand.

The two safe things to do:
1. Order it in the same shop as where you bought the machine, and be sure they know what it is meant for.
2. Use the tools at to select the right type for your motherboard and order it there.

Collapse -
wow that a good pc
by xhanis / February 21, 2008 1:41 AM PST

hello there it seem you got a good pc i also like to reply for your question can i know how many slot for memory and are the previous are also like the one you want to buy maybe if you can give me a detail for the slot memory maybe i can answer your question thank

Collapse -
Slots and stuff
by Supermanxix / February 21, 2008 12:18 PM PST
In reply to: wow that a good pc

The motherboard has 4 dimm slots (im guessing for RAM) and will support up to 8G of RAM. The Ram that I ws thinking about purchasing to expand it is the same brand, same pins, same speed (800MHz) it just doesn't have the "Heat Spreader" I was wondering if that would make a huge difference, or does the heat spreader really mean that much? And if i wanted to go with a different brand, would it mess anything up?

Collapse -
As Kees said, the new RAM...
by Paul C / February 21, 2008 7:10 PM PST
In reply to: Slots and stuff

...does NOT have to be the same brand, just the same speed and type.

The "Heat Spreader" you refer to is just a heat sink that the RAM manufacturer places over the RAM chips to aid in heat dissipation; it strictly speaking is NOT required.

Collapse -
thank you very much, everyone, one last thing
by Supermanxix / February 21, 2008 11:00 PM PST

A buddy of mine keeps saying he can Over Clock it for me, but he is kinda not a smart guy...Is it a good idea to overclock my computer or is it really not a good idea. I want a fast computer, but i also want it to last a while.

Collapse -
I advise against that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2008 11:08 PM PST

It's your machine, not his so keep it at the stock speed to avoid issues.

Collapse -
Just say "no"
by anna3333 / February 23, 2008 6:36 AM PST

Overclocking = Overkill (with Kill being the operative word).

Don't recommend doing that. Use the speed at which the memory was intended to run. Overclocking is IMOH, not intelligent. It's like trying to get blood out of a turnip and just as silly. Its for people who like to "play around" with stuff (instead of just USING it) and who try to make it do things it was not designed to do just so they can brag about it. Just say "no" and keep your sanity - and your PC - in long-term working order. --Anna

Collapse -
it has 4 dimm slots
by xhanis / February 22, 2008 2:02 PM PST
In reply to: Slots and stuff

thank for you answer let gets back to work okay if you want to buy the ram i suggest you buy the ram that you wanted but if i remember correctly the ram come with a pair right but its up to you if you want or not to cause your motherboard can support up to 8 Gb of ram so i didnot see any restriction for you to buy any ram

just to make sure you must know what type of ram you could buy make sure you buy a ddr 2 type because ddr 1 or ddr 3 type will not work on your motherboard

okay see you agin

Collapse -
Same brand of memory? NO!
by ben_myers / February 22, 2008 11:53 AM PST

Computer memory is generic these days, just like hard drives and optical drives. The most important thing in buying memory is to make sure that it is physically compatible with your motherboard AND that its specifications meet or exceed the requirements of the motherboard/CPU combination. Physically compatible means that if the motherboard requires DDR2, for example, you buy DDR2. CPUs with different front side bus speeds impose different requirements on memory speeds. Once you know the specifications and requirements for the memory, buy from a reputable source who can match the memory to the requirements. In the on-line world, Crucial has an on-line memory configurator and sells high quality memory. Kingston and SimpleTech are two other long-established brands of memory. Whether you buy on-line or from a store, get a FULL money back guarantee in case the memory is not compatible with your motherboard. If you buy on-line, shipping is not refundable. For your specific system, you probably want memory with a heat spreader, because the memory runs hot at a high clock speed... Ben

Collapse -
1GB (1x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Memory
by Dango517 / February 22, 2008 12:45 PM PST

You will need more information about your RAM then this to get a compatible RAM. Like: Is it ECC enabled? What is it's latency? Is it buffered? How much "L" memory does it have? This gets complicated and things need to match up. I'd suggest you buy a matching set of RAMs or at the least or go to a site with a configurator (see note below) like this one:

Note: If your latencies do not match the lowest speed will be used by default which means your new RAM might actually slow down your PC. This will vary depending on the software being run within the PC.

Note: configurator are tools that assist you in determining what type of RAM you have and need. Some of these are manual, some load activeX software on to your computer and do this automatically.

Collapse -
The arrangement of RAMs within the slots is important
by Dango517 / February 22, 2008 3:09 PM PST

when using mismatched sizes; 1GB with 512mb lets say. Check your motherboard specification on the manufactures we site for details.

Note: The 0 slot, the first slot, is usually the closest to the CPU. Again, see detail on manufactures web site. Get it wrong the system will fail to start.

Collapse -
adding ram
by toap / February 22, 2008 1:18 PM PST

hi supermanxix check your manual this will give you a list of ram that you can use, if you are going to use 2 gigs of ram you may have to use matched ram , remember if your system os is 32 bit any thing over 2 gig of ram will not be shown as installed hope this is of some help . toap

Collapse -
That is wrong
by froasier / February 23, 2008 12:36 AM PST
In reply to: adding ram

Vista Home Premium 32-bit, along with all other 32-bit OS's, supports up to 4 GB of RAM. Depending on your particular configuration, it may show up as less though. For example a Windows XP system with 4 GB of RAM may show anywhere between 2 and 3.8 GB. 64-bit OS's support anywhere from 8 to 128 GB or theoretically more (Vista Home Premium 64-bit supports up to 16 GB).

Collapse -
by Supermanxix / February 23, 2008 2:48 AM PST
In reply to: That is wrong

So I know 32-bit will support at least 3G, and if I ever want more i need to move to 64-bit, but i did not know it would handle that much, I don't even know what im gonna do with three, as im usin just over 4mg on my current machine. I'm sure 8G (which is the max the new MB will support would blow my mind

Collapse -
New Computer, simple Question (i think)
by mlawson3 / February 22, 2008 2:08 PM PST

contact your puter manufaturer for specs, for now stick with DDR2 additions. how many slots you have open? certain boards can't go beyond their limit, thas why you need to contact manufacturer to get exact specs!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
by tulsa steve / February 22, 2008 3:34 PM PST

I'm running both a gig of Corsair and a gig of Patriot, just make sure they are the same type and have the same Latency specs. I have a P-4 3.2 HT 2 gigs of memory 2.0 Latency and run them side by side no problems at all. I do recommend spending the extra cash on heat spreaders if the memory you are using is not equipped with as a standard feature. It really does make a difference if you do a lot of gaming, and lot's of cooling fans won't hurt either if you don't mind the extra noise.

Collapse -
In answer to your question about adding memory
by Diane... / February 22, 2008 5:43 PM PST

I have always gone to and ran their tests. I have purchased memory from them every time and have had no problems! In fact, on my last PC, I purchased from a local computer store and the memory just would not work, was not recognized by my computer at all. Took it back, got my money back and headed right back to Crucial. You cannot go wrong buying from Crucial - and they advise how many slots your computer has, how much you can add, etc.

Good luck

Collapse -
thank you very much
by Supermanxix / February 22, 2008 11:33 PM PST

Everyine has been very helpful, and after some things looked up i am fairly confident that i will be able to make a decent purchase. For my needs i don't think i need to know what latency speeds are and all that stuff. All i wanna do, is play little on-line games, store mp3s, and keep pics of my kids. lol. So thank you once again

Collapse -
by froasier / February 23, 2008 12:43 AM PST
In reply to: thank you very much

I find it funny because you could do all these things with Windows XP and half a gig of RAM (or Linux for that matter, but with Vista you'd probably be fine with "only" 2 GB). Anyways, I would match the latency nonetheless, because there's no point making your computer slower, especially for the future. It's not hard at all. You could also try

Collapse -
fubby you should say that
by Supermanxix / February 23, 2008 2:44 AM PST
In reply to: haha

I have a computer right now with XP and a lil bit less than 512 mb ram, it just doesn't run the games i wanna play, and i figure if im gonna build one, and buy it i may as well make it fast and able to last a good while. Linux, while I actually prefer it, my wife would be a hopeless mess, so i must stay with windows, yuck, but if she installs doggone AOL on the new one im gonna kill her lol

Collapse -
Adding more RAM to your system
by hanguboy2001 / February 23, 2008 10:52 AM PST

Dear User,
You can add different brand of DDR II RAM if you disable PARITY Check in your system BIOS then it will accept two RAM of different manufacturers. Your present system can support upto 4 GB of RAM do not worry for that, but if you buy the same kind of RAM as you already have then your system will work efficiently. Thanks

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?