Desktops forum

General discussion

New Computer Problem

by jeh815 / January 1, 2009 12:43 AM PST

I tried posting this in the General help forum, but no-one responded. So, I will repost this here....

I just built this new computer:

stock minitower and 450W PS
XFX 630i w/GeForce 7150 mb
Intel Pentium D940 3.2 Ghz CPU
Masscool 8W553 cpu fan
Hitachi 500Gb HD
GeForce 8500GT PCIe video card
20x DVD/RW drive
2MB Corsair PC6400 memory

I loaded XP pro SP3, and everything was fine for maybe 2 hours. I ran the set up disks for the mb and video drivers that came with the products. I was loading WOW, and setting up Ventrilo when I got the blue screen with the white text, and it crashed. I rebooted, and I got the boot in safe mode screen.

When I chose safe mode, I see all the drivers load, but it just hangs and won't start. When I chose Normal, it goes black and hangs or reboots. Previous configuration, same thing ... it hangs or reboots. Last night after this happened, there were a couple occasions when Windows would load and I'd get the GUI, but this would only last for maybe 10 mins before it would crash.

I did try to reload XP Pro. The disk would boot, and the drivers would load, but then it would say 'Starting Windows' and it would just hang there.

Is this a Power supply problem, or a BIOS problem or even a harddrive problem? Those are the leading culprits in my mind.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Computer Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Computer Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hard to say, but here are some ideas
by TechConfidence / January 1, 2009 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: New Computer Problem

It's hard to diagnose, as it could be a hardware problem or a driver problem. I'd start by downloading and installing updated drivers for all the hardware, esp. the video, network, and sound devices. If that doesn't help, I'd swap out one of the RAM boards at a time in case one is defective. (Alternately, you could download and use memtest86 to test the RAM. This would also help determine whether it's a hardware problem or a software problem, as a software problem wouldn't affect the memory test.)

Regards,
TC

Collapse -
The thing is that it worked for awhile.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2009 5:01 AM PST
In reply to: New Computer Problem

Just sharing that I didn't see HEATSINK COMPOUND or the heatsink itself on the list. And just last week we found another machine with all too similar issues without compound on the CPU top. The owner was upset about it since "it worked fine without the compound before."

I find myself short of words at such times.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Sometimes it's just better to say 'nuttin'...
by VAPCMD / January 1, 2009 5:19 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.