HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

New Computer or more RAM?

by ChewyNet1 / May 10, 2008 1:16 AM PDT

I have a ThinkPad T41, from before Levono bought it, with 1.6GHz CPU, 512MB ram (the top is 2GB if i remember right), with a Mobility Radeon 9000 from ATI (or something like that).

It has a 40GB HD and I have a 160GB WD External USB.(Oh, and I have it connected to a IBM docking station).

I mostly use the laptop for multi-tasking, and usually have around 15tabs open in one browser and maybe 3 in the other, with iTunes, mIRC, MSN Messanger and some random thinkpad stuff mostly in the background.

I love this one, I think I would do fine with just some RAM, considering it has lasted me around 3-4years and my dad 2-3 before that.

There is something odd with the hard drive or windows that I get something similar to the BSoD when restarting after a few months.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Computer or more RAM?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Computer or more RAM?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
35 buck test.
by Bob__B / May 10, 2008 2:25 AM PDT

512MB.......crucial.com

If your wallet goes that deep I'd sure give it a shot.

I suspect windows will be happy with more wiggle room.

Collapse -
Rush to your nearest PC shop and get more RAM..
by VAPCMD / May 10, 2008 3:26 AM PDT

another 512MBs minimum or better another 1GB RAM.

Let us know what you observe.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Purchase a used or refurbished T7700 Sony
by Ozzie / May 23, 2008 7:18 PM PDT

nd if you are still within that period most manufacturers will allow you to purchase one of their extended, full service warrenties.

I apologize for the length and hope that his info has helped or at least not caused harm. Oz

Collapse -
If it suits your needs
by Dango517 / May 23, 2008 7:44 PM PDT

then buy RAM and stick with it. However, the components within it are approaching obsolescence and if it breaks you may not be able to find parts to fix it.

Multi tasking was stated as your primary need for this PC. The dual core or quad core PC are much better at these functions. I think you would be amazed at the newer PCs speed and versatility over a 6+ year old machine, big difference. I have both a 2001 PC and a 1 year old PC. We seldom use the 2001, too slow, slow, slow.

Collapse -
I would recommend buying a new desktop in stead of laptop
by Pcfreakske2000 / May 23, 2008 10:39 PM PDT
In reply to: If it suits your needs

I would recommend you buying a new desktop rather than to buy a new laptop.

The reason that I recommend this is that a desktop computer is easier to upgrade or expanding the harddrive or anything else you want to buy for it.

With laptops you are limited to the specs that are there when you buy it.

Buying a new desktop computer is better in my opinion.

Collapse -
What OS?
by ekent / May 23, 2008 11:08 PM PDT

You have a working laptop that handles your demands, comes from good reliable stock (IBM TP), has proven itself over time ... count yourself lucky and splurge 35 bucks on new RAM. That is, unless your laptop has a pre-XP operating system. If it runs on Win ME, 98 or anything earlier, it's time to abandon ship and get yourself a new PC. And you'll have to hurry if you want to avoid the headache of owning a Vista machine.

Collapse -
Buy a new Laptop
by Ozzie / May 24, 2008 2:24 AM PDT

If you have $500 to $800 to spend and time to really shop wisely buy a new laptop. Intel not long ago released the T8000 and T9000 series notebook line of CPUs to replace the T5000 and T7000 lines. The new lines do not contain any major breakthroughs over the reigning top of the line T7000 series CPUs which would more then meet your needs.

My son and I went to Best Buy for something the other day and in the past you might see one or two Sony notebooks in stock. This time an entire wall was devoted to SOny with the new CPUs. They have totally dropped the T7000 series almost overnight in what had to be a great deal with Intel. At the same time the used and refurbished snotebook markets swelled with Sonys equipped with T7000's at deep discounts.

I have seen incredible deals on eBay and eBay stores like PC Connection Online Auctions, BigCityDirect and others that buy refurbished laptops in bulk. If you pick up a refurbished laptop while it is still under the 90 day refurbish wqarrenty, you are also eligible to purchase a company extended warranty. Just take your time looking.

Finally, as examples, this week I purchased a refurbished Sony 17" with a T7700 CPU and the ATI Mobility Radeon HD2300 for graphics (a $2,500 to $3,000 computer 6 months ago, and which is still being sold for $1,800 buy online retailers, including outlet stores like Overtock.com) for $849 on eBay. I also purchased a HP COmpaq 6820s with a T7300 CPU, 17" screen, 2gb RAM, Vista business, all orginal packaging (including Vista disks and driver disks and which package was sealed and had never been opened, for $620.00). Once again this computer could not have been touched for the price a few weeks ago and the T7300 CPU is plenty fast and also will multi-taks with its two cores and meet your needs long into the future. If you have the money to spend, now is the time to buy a T7000 series notebook (the higher number in the 7000's the better) built by Sony, but I have made and seen great deals on HP Compaq, Acer and other brands, just do the legwork. Maintaining an old laptop can be expensive as often even the memory is no longer made or the BIOS limits you to 1gb and your hard drive is reaching a critical stage where you could loose important items built up over the years, even if you have a backup.

Hope this helped.

ock.com is still selling for $2,000) for $890,00. A month ago it was a top of the line laptop, and today does not differ very much from the new one, and has everything you would every need for multi-tasking, etc. For less, I purchased a HP COmpaq 6820s, T7250 CPU, discrete graphics, 17" screen and in perfect shape with all litature and orignal Vista disks for $620.00. Bottom line for the next week or so you should be able to pick up a computer worth in terms of performance and price a few short weeks ago a few thousand for between $600 and $850. Upgrading an old laptop just does not seem like the right move at this point in time given the market assuming you have some money to spend.

Collapse -
RE: New Computer or more RAM?
by gestaltent / May 24, 2008 3:30 AM PDT

First, more ram. Then if that doesn't cut it, new pc. Ram is so dirt cheap now and your two gig limit is perfect for any 32 bit system that's not running Vista. Get a new computer if your old one craps out or if you end up needing to do new things it can't. PC companies love to sell us stuff we don't necessarily need.

Collapse -
Neither one.
by Porch-a-Geese / May 24, 2008 7:00 AM PDT

Just shrink the windows partition and install a distribution of Linux on the free space. Use ndiswrapper for any card that doeesn't have native support in the Linux kernel. You'll need about 8G for a system.
There, the old box is now usable again.

Collapse -
(NT) For ITunes and MSN Messenger?
by Kees Bakker / May 24, 2008 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Neither one.
Collapse -
For both
by Porch-a-Geese / May 24, 2008 10:57 AM PDT

ITunes uses the mp4 format for most files. There are Linux distributions and applications ncapable of playing this format.
The physical player usually has an ARM processor. Let's see: ucLinux, libmad, madplay, read only file system for the binary. MSN messenger? Let's see: Pidgin, Kopete, Amsn, tmsnc. Tmsnc is a console. Kopete has more plugins than msn messenger does, Amsn and pidgin can have custom modules built for each. OTR is available.

Collapse -
I'll chime in here again
by Dango517 / May 24, 2008 10:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Neither one.

If you get a new PC give that PC to a newbie. They might sink a little money in it and have a pretty good starter computer. See family, co-worker and others for someone interested in computers. Post a sign at the grocery store, something. Too many of these are being shredded. It may not last long but this might be a start for someone with computers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.