Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

new computer...no operating system disk

by elbofrance / April 28, 2005 10:12 AM PDT

how do you do a clean install of an operating system if you did not receive the disk with the computer. The product key was included.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new computer...no operating system disk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new computer...no operating system disk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You borrow a disk, or buy a new one....
by Michael Geist / April 28, 2005 10:30 AM PDT

what kind of new computer comes without at least a restore disk?

Collapse -
no disks
by elbofrance / April 28, 2005 1:04 PM PDT

it was a floor model...no box no nothing

Collapse -
That is what happens when you buy a bargain
by glb613 / April 28, 2005 8:34 PM PDT
In reply to: no disks

Go to retail shop and request a set. If that doesn't work, go the manufacturer's web site and see if you can order replacment disks.

Also check and see if there is a recovery partition on the hard drive. I recently did a destructive restore on a computer using that option. It is easy to use. But be advised, it formats the hard drive and wipes out your unsaved data. And if you can't access the hard drive, that option is not available.

Collapse -
You can....
by Papa Echo / April 28, 2005 11:23 AM PDT

...go back to the vendor or shop and ask them to do it, or you demand for a set of disks (free). Otherwise, go to the Comsumer Affairs People.

Note that the "Recovery disks" may be in a hidden partition, and on first boot, you might have been asked to make a CD of it, but did not. You may still be able to access it, if it is there. Ask.

Collapse -
Best way to do it
by Oopio / April 28, 2005 2:40 PM PDT

Purchase Microsoft Windows XP Home
From your local software outlet

Collapse -
Contact Microsoft
by dromel / April 28, 2005 3:18 PM PDT

Since you have the product key, you can contact Microsoft and they will send you replacement disks.

Collapse -
new computer...no operating system disk
by josh2001 / April 28, 2005 9:58 PM PDT

ask where you got it from for a disk

Collapse -
same here
by ceejay540 / April 28, 2005 10:08 PM PDT

I just bought a new Dell and only got the number with out a disk.

Collapse -
New Dell
by Ohio / April 28, 2005 10:39 PM PDT
In reply to: same here

I just got a new dell in at work. Not sure if servers are the same as desktops, but Dell includes a recovery CD with the Microsoft Getting Started book. If you did not receive one from Dell, I would call and ask.

Collapse -
No Disks
by Northlite / April 28, 2005 10:16 PM PDT

The last 7 Compaq/HP's that I have purchased did not include Restore/Recovery CD's, the 2 eMachines did. They stopped including these CD's a while ago. They however did give me the option to create my own - providing the computer has a Read/Write drive you can do this, it takes up to 7 CD-R CD's, hence why they are not including them any more I think. I can also do a Destructive Restore from the Start Menu under PC Help and Tools which uses a separate partition on the drive to do it. You will know if it has this Partition if you go to My Computer and see two drives C and D, D being the restore information. Again not knowing what computer brand you are talking about your situation may differ. All else failing the manufacture will always provide the disks, usually at a cost. When the no disk included thing first came up they would furnish them for free if you said the restore wouldn't work from the back up partition. HP gets $17-$35 for them as of last contact.
Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Common practice
by Ohio / April 28, 2005 10:45 PM PDT

It is becoming common practice among manufacturers to not include OS CDs or recovery CDs. As before mentioned, HP and Compaq were the first I know of to jump on this practice starting with machines that shipped with Windows ME(eeeeeeww). Without knowing who your new PC was made by, its hard to determine/research what type of restoration media you should have received(CD or restore partition).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?