Laptops forum

General discussion

new computer-can it be saved?

by lsasso22 / January 28, 2010 10:22 AM PST

My husband bought me a new Dell 1750 inspiron for Christmas. I heard that there were problems with Dell and was going to exchange it but kept it at the last minute. Opened it and it took me until now to really get it up and going. I've had a problem for 2 weeks with getting and error message that the a/c adapter is not recognized and it needs to be replaced with a Dell one. It's the original Dell charger. Support is still deciding what to do about it. Today, the monitor screen froze and is broken with lines all horizontal and vertical and a screen saver stuck on it. They want me to send it to them and they'll replace the monitor part and replace the motherboard and a/c adapter. Is this computer salvagable? Is it a lemon? What to do????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new computer-can it be saved?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new computer-can it be saved?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
FAST. DO WHAT THEY ASK.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2010 11:37 AM PST

The moment you don't follow their instructions you may end up owning this problem.

Collapse -
I'll keep you posted.
by lsasso22 / January 28, 2010 12:19 PM PST

Should I be hopeful or am I just wasting energy? Is it reasonable to think that if they fix this that the computer may be ok afterward?

Collapse -
Hope.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2010 12:24 PM PST
In reply to: I'll keep you posted.

Here's why I wrote this. I've watch people second guess and withhold the machine from Dell and others then Dell says "Fine. It's yours." They offered to fix it so let them do that.
Bob

Collapse -
hope in Dell
by lsasso22 / January 28, 2010 12:35 PM PST
In reply to: Hope.

I'll send it to them but I guess that my question really is: Have you seen people that have serious problems like this end up with a good running machine or are immediate problems just a harbinger of things to come?

Collapse -
Let me share this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2010 10:08 PM PST
In reply to: hope in Dell

At the office we must have hundreds of Dells. They break, they go back to Dell and come back, go to work without much fuss. There will always be some lemon which is the exception. I read they are replacing the main parts so not much lemon left.

Let's cover another problem area. Windows. Love it or not, Dell does not write it or support it well. No maker does. If your issue is with Windows then you need to change to Apple or if you have the skin, Linux.
Bob

Collapse -
Give them a chance to repair it...
by IgoZoomX2 / January 29, 2010 2:40 PM PST

I'm sorry to hear that you're having troubles with your brand new laptop. I can certainly relate to the frustration and uncertainty that you're feeling at the moment.

Dell should be sending a box to ship it back to them for repair, right? Your best bet is to go ahead and send in your machine as soon as you receive that! Replacing the motherboard is similar to the replacing the engine and transmission in your car. Most motherboard replacements are successful, in my experience.

If you have any further issues once you get it back, be sure to contact Dell support immediately. If you have the same problem(s) you're having now, then I would begin asking (politely, but firmly) for a replacement system. If necessary, escalate the situation as high as it takes to get resolution.

If they fail to repair it and don't agree to send a warranty replacement after you follow the steps above, I can provide you with some additional information that will get results! If you click on my user name, there's a link to email me in my profile. I've purchased at least 20 systems (business and personal) from Dell over the last several years. I've only had one major issue out of all of them and (eventually) Dell sent me a brand new system to replace my "lemon".

Collapse -
Thanks for the encouragement
by lsasso22 / January 30, 2010 1:07 PM PST

I appreciate the friendly and helpful response very much. I can't believe it but a Dell supervisor called me today and offered to send me a brand new computer. I'll hold onto the lemon until I get the replacement in 3 to 4 weeks and then I'll send that to them. I gladly agreed to this but I'm concerned about how to get the info from the old hard drive to the new one. I did back up the old one onto a seagate replica but I don't know how to (if it's possible at all) restore a saved system on to a new computer. Do you know anything about that?

Collapse -
Proactive customer service, I'm impressed!
by IgoZoomX2 / January 30, 2010 4:17 PM PST

I'm rather impressed with Dell for taking responsibility for this situation and making it right so quickly! I also like that they send you the replacement system FIRST, then you send the defective back to them. Granted, the broken one isn't of any real use any more. But it will be reassuring to have a brand new, operational unit in your hands before you send yours back to Dell! It's sort of a good faith effort on their part.

As for the data/programs on the hard drive:

IF the replacement system has the same size hard drive as your current one (and the same version of Windows), the easiest solution is to simply swap out the drives between the two laptops. Don't panic if you've never gone near a laptop with a screwdriver before! It's as simple as removing two screws to release each drive and sliding it out of the slot, then doing the reverse on the other laptop. Dell provides great instructions on how to do it as follows-

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1750/en/sm/index.htm

That link is actually for the entire Service Manual for the 1750 (Inspiron 17), just click on 'Hard Drive' to see the specific directions. Basically, you just flip the laptop over (remove the battery and unplug it before you do anything else) and locate the two screws holding the hard drive in place. On your system, the hard drive is located at the front of the the left-hand side (in front of the USB/network/VGA ports). It has a plastic bezel on the front edge that you would normally remove, but you can just swap it between systems since they're physically identical. It's so simple.

You were very wise to create a backup on an external hard drive, btw! If you don't swap the drives out, you'll need to connect the Seagate external drive to your new laptop via USB and manually copy any files onto the new system.

An added benefit of physically swapping the drives is that you'll be sending back a hard drive with NONE of your personal information on it! Your identity and data will be much safe that way! =)

Collapse -
switching hard drives
by lsasso22 / January 31, 2010 12:48 PM PST

I never did anything with a hard drive but I did install a dvd into a tower once and I've installed memory a few times in both a laptop and a tower. I'll check out that link that you sent and I will change tha hardrives. I'll touch bases again as things progress. Thank you so very much and many blessings.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!