Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

New computer build hard drive dilema, which setup to choose?

by benno55555 / January 14, 2009 1:07 AM PST

Intel quad core Q6600
Asus p5n7a-vm chipset NVIDIA GeForce 9300/nForce 730i
antec true power trio 650W PS
4 GB corsair xms2 800mhz DDR2
vista home premium
thermaltake sopranoRS 101 case
lite on DVD/rw

blue ray drive coming soon

Greetings to all! This is what I have compiled so far for my new computer, If there is anything else you think would be a nice fit or addition let me know, I appreciate the time and input. I am not a gamer, just a severe multi-tasker who is getting into high resolution video, video encoding, high res digital photo editing, and do use some rather CPU intensive programs.

I have yet to decide what direction to go when it comes to selecting a Hard Drive setup for my future needs. Here are the three options I am considering, after searching the internet for a while I keep getting vague answers that aren't helping much. So for my multimedia usage needs which would be better?

I will be using samsung sata 2 7200rpm hard drive

1. (2) 500 GB (Raid/or NO RAID) (heard raid better for gamers, can create problems recording)

2. 1+ TB - partitioned for OS, w/future plans for an external backup drive (or just plain old straight up)

3. (1) 40-80 GB HD for the OS (should I look at 10k raptor or 10-15k scsi),
(1) 500-750 GB HD files, programs, ect.

these options are very similar budget wise, so the real question is what would you experts think is the best solution for efficiency, maintenance, and reliability! Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New computer build hard drive dilema, which setup to choose?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New computer build hard drive dilema, which setup to choose?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you getting these drives or do you have them?.
by PECONET / January 16, 2009 8:57 PM PST

samsung sata 2 7200rpm hard drive

1. (2) 500 GB (Raid/or NO RAID) (heard raid better for gamers, can create problems recording)

2. 1+ TB - partitioned for OS, w/future plans for an external backup drive (or just plain old straight up)

3. (1) 40-80 GB HD for the OS (should I look at 10k raptor or 10-15k scsi),
(1) 500-750 GB.
If you have them then i would use the Raptor drives as the boot up drives as these will be the fastest of all of them.
Keep the 1TB as the back up drive and have the 2x 500gb as raid0 (strip array), as back up also.
If you do NOT have them (and you have the money) them look at the 350gb Raptor 10,000rpm drives. If you get these make them as Raid0, these will blow your socks off as you watch your system boot up in no time. The rest of the drives you can add as back up drives, i would go for the 1TB drives (you can not have too much space).
Please post back if you have any more questions or problems.

Collapse -
i7?
by repete_smile / January 18, 2009 1:20 AM PST

Go for a Core i7, if you can't, OC the Q6600 to around 3.2 to 3.6.

about the hard drives, as far as I know, most programs need to be on the same drive as the OS to run, it doesn't need to be same partition though. #3 won't work. What RAID would you use for #1, there are many types of RAID.

Collapse -
almost got it figured
by benno55555 / January 19, 2009 2:30 AM PST
In reply to: i7?

can't do an i7, already bought Q6600, my PSU is the toughpower not the purepower, I have not bought any drives yet...I am watching a dozen different ones on ebay and other sites, just trying to figure out which would be best. My motherboard supports RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5 & JBOD configurations for four SATA connectors, but I wouldn't know which would be best, so I might as well not mess with it. When I was describing option 3 I should have been more specific.....My initial urge is leaning towards getting a 150gb velociraptor 10000k for Vista and programs ($150), then a samsung spinpoint 7200k f1 500-640gb sata 2 16mb cache as slave for storage of media files (dvd, blueray, music, pictures, ect.) ($50), this will work right? will the different speeds of the hard drives have any negative effects? I wasn't looking to top $150 unless I went this direction. open to any other options keeping in mind speed, reliability, and manageability!

Collapse -
Yes your configuration will work.
by PECONET / January 19, 2009 3:17 AM PST
In reply to: almost got it figured

You are correct with your configuration, it will work, just go and get the drives you want.
Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?