General discussion

new computer

hi can someone tell me if this is an overkill i am having this computer built thanks for the input

HP Pavilion d1000y customizable Desktop PC
- Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Media Center Edition
- Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 560J w/HT Technology, 3.6GHz
- FREE UPGRADE from 512MB to 1024MB PC2 3200 (2DIMM)
- 160GB 7200 rpm SATA Hard Drive
- LightScribe Double Layer 16X DVD +/-R/RW drive
- 48x max. CD-ROM Drive
- 9-in-1 Card Reader, 2 USB, and 1 FireWire
- 3.5 in. 1.44MB Floppy Drive
- Single NTSC TV Tuner with PVR, FM Tuner, Remote
- 256MB DDR ATI Radeon X600 Pro with TV-Out and DVI
- Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS with front audio ports
- HP Internet Keyboard, HP Optical Mouse
- Microsoft(R) Works 7.0/Money 2004/MSN Encarta Plus
- Norton Antivirus 2005 - 15 Mo Subscription
- Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g PCI card

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: new computer
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: new computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
If the builder

threw in the Norton for free.....I'm green with envy and I think I've got a helluva setup already. lol

I'm just partial to CA's antivirus program....heheheh

TONI

- Collapse -
only thing i dont see is power supply size

id look for a 500 watt or more but all else looks great

- Collapse -
Re: Power Supply

Right Mark, that can be important. Usually new factory PC's are configured with just enough power to take care of what is furnished with the computer, ie size of video card, hard drives, optical drives, DVD's, CDR's etc.. Whenever just something else is added it can upset the balance of the power supply and cause slowdowns or other problems. With Dell, Gateway, HP, Sony, emachines, and many others the power supply is not mentioned to the buyer (like video cards when it is integrated...on board..). If there is a choice it is always best to get the largest offered. After purchase it is not that expensive to change the power supply to a higher one like 400-500-600 Watts as necessary or when something is added to the PC. Err...Dell older PC's may require special types and/or cost more than some others.

- Collapse -
POWER???? WATTS???? HEEEELLLLLPPPP!!!!!!!!!

I am currently shopping for a new computer to replace my old one. I have been looking at all models including apples. Question 1: I decided to buy a Dell Dimension 8400; is this a good idea?? Qustion 2: What is power??? I did not even know you could change the power or Watts that operate a computer. Does a Dell 8400 have a sufficient power supply or should I increase it???

- Collapse -
well

i just bought a dell demension 4700 im very happy

but you dont get to choose ps it will be fine

- Collapse -
You are OK Cybor...

Although I do not know the exact wattage of the 8400, it is a good computer, the top of Dell's line, besides the higher priced XPS gamer version. A relative of mine has one and is very satisified, also playing the top video games.

Best to watch for awhile when buying from Dell. They seem to change the setup of prices and what is offered for free each week around Tuesdays or Wednesdays. I kept track for several months before buying my brother a Dell last year with a very good deal. If you miss a deal, just wait awhile and it will normally come around again. Just last week the best I have ever seen on Dell:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7586-0.html?forumID=68&threadID=61303&messageID=744946

It was only good from 2-13-04 thru 2-16-05. The same configuration is now $350 higher.

- Collapse -
power supply

sorry it took me so long to reply i had to go out of town but the power supply is 400 watts and i should have it on march 8 cant wait

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) wtg and happy surfing
- Collapse -
Overkill for WHAT?

If all you;re doing is surfing the web and e-mail, that's overkill for sure. OTOH, if you're doing CAD or powergaming, you'll have to boost it up within a year Wink

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

- Collapse -
???

Don't wish to be a cad but what is CAD?

- Collapse -
CAD: Computer Aided Design

Of course, the graphics cards normally used in CAD aren't much use in gaming; they're specially designed for absolute accuracy in 3D modeling, and don't do game graphics very well. They're also certified for CAD by the makers of CAD software and cost $1,000 - 1,500 each...

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank you both for your replies
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) computer automated drawing=cad
- Collapse -
Naw Dave.....

With his 3.6GHz Pent 4 (HT), 1024MB RAM, he is good to go for much more than one year. To stay up with the best there is in gaming (competition) he may need to upgrade his graphic card, but the PC will fly for some years to come IMO.

- Collapse -
graphic card

so the graphic card suck i thought i was doing good it will have to do for now dont hae any more money lol

- Collapse -
that cards fine

im running ati 128 pci express im very satisfied

- Collapse -
d j

no i will be dj with my computer make music and mix cds and playing games

- Collapse -
It doesn't have enough hard drives, or USB/Firewire ports.

For video processing, you will need at least one more 160gig drive. 2 USB ports can support 2 hubs, and then you've got hubs supporting hubs. Better to get more USB ports up front. You will probably need them. Firewire is a bit light also.

Dump the CD-ROM. You could just as easily put in a DVD drive.

Does the tuner card have hardware based encoding to mpeg2? That would be very desirable although the CPU should also be able to do the job.

1 gig memory is good. It's probably the new minimum.

Be sure your speakers can really handle the Audigy card. Alienware sold me some Klipsch speakers that could not support 5.1 sound. Speakers with 6 channels of analog input are probably your best bet.

- Collapse -
re

The lack of USB hubs was the first thing to catch my eye also and I am no techie but all your cameras, pic printers and many other rhings use USB, Kid is right get some right up front....

- Collapse -
Re: USB & Firewire

Well, almost all the higher priced computers have sufficient USB 2.0 ports and at least one Firewire. This particular one has, in addition to the rear USB 2.0 ports, and his selection of the 9in 1 Card Reader that is in the front, the front also has 2 USB 2.0 and 1 Firewire. Hardly any other computer comes with more up front, but have in the rear. In addition this model has up front a headphone plug, mic, and Line in ports.

But as KP indicates bigger Hard Drives up to 200 GB for $45 more or 250GB for $85 more may be desirable if he is into video/music editing on the high end.

- Collapse -
Bigger is good. Additional drive is the main point.

While he can, and probably should, go bigger, the point is to have two or more large hard drives. This means that one drive can service Windows and the programs while the second drive concentrates on writing video data. Also, relatively uncompressed video like avi will chew up a drive very rapidly.

- Collapse -
Additional Hard Drives..

Agree, two hard drivers would be better and since he is going upscale in the computer configuration, the price shouldn't hurt.

Two 160 GB's in a Raid config would cost $225 more than his single 160 GB config.

Two 80 GB's in a Raid config would cost $125 more than his single 160 GB config.

Gee, if he has the coins then up these as offered by HP:

Add a single NTSC TV Tuner with PVR, FM Tuner, Remote
Watch, record, pause, or rewind live TV, to go with his Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Operating System Edition. Add $149.

Pent 4 processor speed to 3.8GHZ, from 3.6GHZ add $300.

2GB DDR 2-400 RAM/PC3200, from 1GB add $250.

Video Card to 256MB DDR Nvidia GeForce FX6800, DVI & TV0out, from the 256MB ATI Radeon X600, add $120.

- Collapse -
I'm not so sure that some of that is worth it.
Pent 4 processor speed to 3.8GHZ, from 3.6GHZ add $300

200MHZ is probably not worth $300.

2GB DDR 2-400 RAM/PC3200, from 1GB add $250

Knowledgeable types think memory much above 1gig is not needed. Of course there are those who say you never have enough. However, when they put the 1gig in, be sure they are using 500meg modules. My mobo only has 4 memory slots and Alienware filled them with 128meg modules. I will have to throw memory away if I want to upgrade.

I don't know how the video cards compare. If it's not built into the video card (ATI All-in-Wonder), the TV function should probably be left external to the box.
- Collapse -
two

512 x 2

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) And a second or external HDD for backup!
- Collapse -
speakers

i have a set of 5.1 but looking for some new one that the only thing i did not buy

Speakers with 6 channels of analog input are probably your best bet.
will go look for what you said thanks for the info

- Collapse -
Looks good BigT....some slight suggestions..

I would pay $20 more and get the 16x DVD-ROM (2nd drive) instead of the CD-ROM drive.

Get the HP 17" LCD Flat Panel for only $50 with your package. You probably already have a CRT monitor and want to keep it for gaming, so go ahead and get the LCD...it can be sold for much more than $50.

You may already have speakers, but the $40 for speakers with a sub-woofer may be worth it.

I mentioned the increase of Hard Drive in my above post to MaryK, but up to you.

With the configuration you have, it seem to come out to $1753.97 with HP. I would also configure the same thing with a Dell 8400. (I personally prefer Dell to HP).

- Collapse -
ok

i had my order change a little will post thank you all for you input

HP Pavilion d1000y customizable Desktop PC
- Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Media Center Edition
- Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 560J w/HT Technology, 3.6GHz
- 1 GB DDR2-400 RAM / PC2 3200 (2 DIMM)
- 160GB 7200 rpm SATA Hard Drive
- FREE UPGRADE! LightScribe DL 16X DVD +/-R/RW drive
- 16X max. DVD-ROM
- Front USB, Firewire and Audio Ports
- 3.5 in. 1.44MB Floppy Drive
- Single NTSC TV Tuner with PVR, FM Tuner, Remote
- 256MB DDR ATI Radeon X600 Pro with TV-Out and DVI
- Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS with front audio ports
- HP Internet Keyboard, HP Optical Mouse
- Microsoft(R) Works 7.0/Money 2004/MSN Encarta Plus
- Norton Antivirus 2005 - 15 Mo Subscription
- Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g PCI card
- hpshopping in-box envelope
No tracking number available

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Remember: You can never have too much stuff! :-)
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Only too many bills for stuff (HWG)

CNET Forums

Forum Info