Computer Help forum

General discussion

new computer

I will be picking up my new HP DV 9030us this afternoon. They want to charge me $200+ to set it up for me (eliminate un-needed programs, optimize, etc.). I am looking for some help with doing this myself. I am not a computer guy. Any tips, help, websites would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mawe

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: new computer

In reply to: new computer

Maw,

If I were you, I should consider the machine (see http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Customer-reviews-for-HP-Pavilion-17-Widescreen-Notebook-PC-DV9030US/sem/rpsm/oid/161288/pageno/1/sortAction/1/sortby/3/order/D/rpem/ccd/productDetailReview.do) as it comes out of the factory as perfectly set-up, with no unnecessary programs and fully optimized).

I wouldn't spend 1 cent (let alone a ridiculous 200$) to have it optimized further, unless you really find it takes too long to boot (time from switching on to all programs in system notification area at bottom right loaded).

Better try that first and post here how long it is. My prediction: most laptops of most members with everything they installed themselves take longer. And if you make such a post, use the occasion to tell what programs exactly are running in that system notification area, then we can tell you if we think they are necessary.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
DONT PAY THEM!

"Setting up" a computer is one of those things that many people (who know nothing about computers) think is extremely difficult. On the contrary, the computer manufacturers have made it very easy to set it up.

As far as the physical portion of "computer setup" goes, everything is color coated. Plugging in your computer requires the same skills that are used when putting together childrens puzzles. If you have any peripherials, just match up the shapes of the plugs.

When installing the peripherials, Windows XP has a very good feature that can install most normal peripherials, so that should not be a problem. If XP cannot install the driver for your device by itself, just put in the cd or disk that came with your peripherial, and it should be relatively easy to install.

Microsoft Windows setup has a step by step set up procedure that is very simple to follow. When you boot up your computer it should go strait into the setup and ask you several simple questions. It registers/verifies your copy of windows at that time so it runs more smoothly if you are connected to the internet at the time you are doing the setup, however it is not neccessary as you can register/verify later on.

When optimizing your computer, my rule is anything that pops up in your face after you boot up (on both the first and second bootup) needs to be deleted. If the program has HP plastered all over it, the chance is that it could be useful and I normally keep it. Delete anything like Musicmatch Jukebox and anything similar to "free aol". Those are more spam than anything.

Hope this helps.
G.T.

Collapse -
It's a notebook ...

In reply to: DONT PAY THEM!

which makes it even easier. Just plug in the power and the mouse, and that's all. And answer some simple questions (like your name). I just did it with my daughters laptop. In fact, she did it herself, if I remember correctly. It was activated already.

Setting up things like Internet connection (both wired and wireless) and mail accounts is somewhat more difficult, but they can't do that in the shop anyway. Same goes for printer, of course.

I shouldn't give advice over what programs are necessary and what aren't without knowing what they are exactly.

Kees

Collapse -
I wouldn't think of paying such a charge...

A firm attempting to rip you off in that way is undeserving of your business. Sad

IMHO

Glenn

Collapse -
thanks

I thought this was sometype of money maling scam. Thanks again for all the help.
Mawe

Collapse -
Yes...try it yourself

$ 200 is a lot of money..you can get another PC for that amount. Cables are color coded, usually everything is installed and set-up. Manufacturers give a quick get started guide that usually does the job. And you can uninstall any unneeded programs yourself. You have a PC....you now need to try and learn some basic PC owber skills. Don't be afraid....you can always us for help, later..hopefully a friend.

Collapse -
If you really want cheap on site help

Any neighborhood teenager will do it for a pizza and a Coke.
They take an iTunes and Best Buy (or similar) gift cards, too!
A true computer geek will do it free!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.