Desktops forum

General discussion

New Computer

by markrodg / June 24, 2006 2:56 AM PDT

Hi, I need some help and good advice choosing a new computer. I want one that has very good reviews, the most I can probably pay is about 1,200$, is able to write dvds&cds, and I'd prefer to have Intel over Athlon. Please help me. Thank you.

I currently have a:

Compaq Presario
3000+ AMD Athlon XP processor
512 MB memory
160 GB hard drive
dvd+rw/cd-rw

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why change?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2006 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: New Computer

That's better than many desktops. But a suggestion. Look at what's not working well for you and maybe a cheap upgrade could let you slide by for a year.

The most common complaint with such a machine could be gaming. Why not update the video card?

Bob

Collapse -
why change rp...
by markrodg / June 24, 2006 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Why change?

Hi, Bob,

I did change out the graphics card a while back to a more nicer one. I thought everything would be good. I didn't just go out and buy a computer, I checked reviews, what I could afford and what was out at the time a couple years back.

Unfortunately, I didn't get stuck with a very nice computer. Instead its been the computer you want to kill. The other computers on the shelf when I bought it at Best Buy's turned out to be all bad, all with different odd defects, in turn I got stuck with this one.

It's been a living nightmare since. I've had to replace so much on it. It shuts down when it pleases, it starts up when it feels like it. It stopped burning dvd, it no longer won't, I can't always get it to write cds as well now. Floppies don't work anymore in it. I've had to replace fans, power supplies, all sorts of stuff. I've had to reformat, reinstall windows more than once. It doesn't let me run it past about 35 minutes anymore before freezing itself, and the list just goes on.

Collapse -
Another usual issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2006 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: why change rp...

Many fit some "just big enough" power supply. The details are lacking but it's a common issue. Heat is also a common issue. I think a little work could make life better for this machine. Here's my short list.

1. Monster power supply. Try 450 or more Watts.
2. Scans with EWIDO, Housecall and eject all they find.
3. Stop using Internet Explorer and turn off the Email preview.
4. Run IEFIX to push all the settings back to normal.
5. Check for a BIOS update.
6. Without using the Driver Update button look for updates to motherboard, video, audio and printer drivers.
7. Leave the case cover off to sniff out a heat issue.
8. No dust bunnies and make sure the fans are running plus the heatsinks are without a lint blanket.

Bob

Collapse -
If you can wait another month...
by steve749 / June 24, 2006 3:53 AM PDT

Then you may be able to get a Pentium 4 system pretty cheap I'd think once the Core 2 Duo's from Intel come out which is supposed to happen around July 23rd I think. One other question is whether or not you have any eyes on Vista yet?

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
rp
by markrodg / June 24, 2006 4:03 AM PDT

Hi, I've only read a little on Windows Vista, when is it set to be out? I might still try to get a new computer now; I'm scared that the computer I have now will die while I'm doing my work and I'll loose everything. So if there are any computers now that you recommend at the moment please tell me. Thank you for your help.

Collapse -
Next January is the current release date....
by steve749 / June 24, 2006 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: rp

Though at 7 months away that is subject to change and is why I don't think I'd wait that long to get a new computer.

Do you back up your data now?

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
by markrodg / June 24, 2006 8:29 AM PDT

Wow, 7 months. If it was a little closer, I might have tried to wait it out, lol and beg that my computer now didn't die or develop another problem.

I was looking at an HP pavilion model at Circuit City. The memory, the hard drive was the same, it comes with Lightscribe dvd/cd writing.

I feel lost at trying to pick a new computer, I would like it somewhat better than the one I have now. I have a nice NVidia graphics card, so I'm not worried about the type that comes with the computer. I don't want a computer where everything is connected; Where if one part goes, the whole computer does.

I want to be able to play games with ease, do work with as much ease possible. I have an Athlon AMD 3000+ right now, in your opinion do you perfer Athlon over Intel or vice versa?

Thank you!

Collapse -
Intel vs AMD....
by steve749 / June 25, 2006 12:16 AM PDT
In reply to: reply

I think I'd have to say I prefer Intel if only because I haven't had a computer that used an AMD CPU yet and I've only had a handful of computers in my life that were IBM compatibles.

Right now if I had to get a computer I think I'd likely get an Athlon X2 but that's if I couldn't wait. I'm holding out for the Intel Core 2 Duos to come out before I get a new desktop as my last one, a P3 650 MHz PC that I had since 2001, died a few months back and I'm making do with a laptop that has a Pentium M CPU. Depending on how eager to get a desktop I am when the Core 2 Duos come out, I may try to wait till Vista but right now I'm not sure I want to wait that long.

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
WHAT"S WRONG WITH THAT ONE?
by Scrotes4Life / June 24, 2006 12:26 PM PDT

Are you having problems with your current system?
It sounds to me (other than a considerable lack of RAM) like you are already set.
Upgrade your RAM.

Collapse -
Just another tip for a new member.
by Kees Bakker / June 25, 2006 12:03 AM PDT

Turn off caps lock in the subject title also. Much more friendly.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!