Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

New Compaq's Video Card Worthy???

by laddie80 / August 8, 2005 4:29 PM PDT

My wife has been beating me down about getting her a new computer for quite some time now. She is huge SIMS 2 gaming fan, and our old DELL Inspiron w/16MB of video memory and integrated graphics just won't do the trick anymore.

I came across a deal on a compaq/hp computer with an AMD 64 processer, 1GB RAM, and "128 MB integrated video memory." All I could get from the computer's hardware list and from the site is that it is a SIS product. It is also worth noting that there is one 8x AGP slot available.

Does anyone have any insight on whether this integrated video card is going to get the job done for a rather simple game like the SIMS? If it won't, is installing an after-market AGP video card a simple operation? Thanks.

Jon

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Compaq's Video Card Worthy???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Compaq's Video Card Worthy???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Should be fine...
by John.Wilkinson / August 9, 2005 4:07 AM PDT

My newest computer (an HP) came with SiS Mirage2 integrated graphics (up to 128MB). Personally I thought the quality was fine when playing "basic" games which do not have intense graphics. However, for action-based games, watching DVDs, etc, I found the quality to be "acceptable," but noticably choppy and grainy. Thus, I bought a VisionTek Xtasy Radeon 9550 (128MB AGP 8x) graphics card from Best Buy. While it's only an "average" graphics card, the added clarity and increased frame rates were well worth the $48 (was on sale at half-price) I spent.

For a game like Sims 2, it should be fine. While it will look a LOT better than on your old system, there will still be room for improvement, though not readily noticable (SiS is pretty good at simulating a "real" graphics card...better than Intel, IMO). Just remember that integrated graphics use your system resources, so overall performance will be lower than with a graphics card. But, with 1GB of RAM, it shouldn't be that noticable either.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Thanks John
by laddie80 / August 9, 2005 9:27 AM PDT

Thanks for the help; I'll go pick up that PC and check out some video cards.

-Jon

Collapse -
Sims 2
by funkid7 / August 12, 2005 12:03 AM PDT

Your wife must have visited Simtropolis.com? 82,000 members strong and counting.
I design game graphics as of just recently, so I am not a "techspert" or anything.
Just needed to relay this; If she is really caught up with the Sims2, then you are gonna want that 128mb really soon! And no less is gonna do anymore. That is all I can actually say about it, but the games of tomorrow, always show up today instead. Be ready, My 17 yr old is never satisfied for long, before she wants a new high-end game.
I have 256mb PCI Express 1000mb ram and I am planning an upgrade to dual processors next as well as various others. Why? I know what's just around the corner for Sims and even I, am still in noobie shock over it.

Like I say above, This is new to me and just my opinionated advice.

Collapse -
Ended up with a Dell...
by laddie80 / August 12, 2005 12:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Sims 2

Thanks for the advice. We ended up getting a Dell with 512 MB RAM and a 128 MB dedicated video card. Hopefully this should hold us over awhile...

Collapse -
YES! Dell is ....
by funkid7 / September 24, 2005 5:49 PM PDT

wise buying. Glad to see you are set to go! You got just enough there to make Sims2 enjoyable, she'll love it! Have her visit Simtropolis.com and check the Sims2 forums. There, she will find, advice, experiments and posting her own, Sims diary might be fun.
Dell is a hit with the big boys!
Co-worker and I, have convinced an entire industry, to transition to Dells and it's working! This from a publishing corp. that was using 100% MACS. 2 years now and the Dell servers are Sweet! Now they have Dell 8400's in our graphics department running Adobe In-Design, etc. If a billion dollar corporation, dedicated to MACS can be convinced to go PC and Dell exclusively; I am definitel sold!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.