Storage forum

General discussion

New casing for dead Maxtor 300gb

by animina / April 3, 2008 6:25 AM PDT

Hi there, I am a pc novice and need some help choosing the correct casing for my Maxtor 320 gb hd. It's about 6 mths old and out of the blue died...it seems to be getting no power, the led light flickers but it makes no sound to indicate power is going to it.

After doing some poking around I've concluded that my options are 1)Pay Maxtor $700 to recover my data and then get my hd replaced 2) Try to fix it myself for cheap and void my warranty

I'm going with option 2 because I am PISSED at Maxtor and wouldn't trust them again with my $ or my data. Can anyone help with recommendations on cases or any other advice or possible issues that it could be? It's a Maxtor OneTouch III 320GB Hard Drive - Interface (USB 2.0) External Hard Drive.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New casing for dead Maxtor 300gb
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New casing for dead Maxtor 300gb
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The newer ones are SATA, the old ones were PATA
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2008 8:25 AM PDT

So I have to open the drive housing up first to know which type to order.

Collapse -
Opened it up...
by animina / April 5, 2008 10:32 AM PDT

I have opened the box and from my limited experience and research, I think that it's a PATA. I see the 40 pin connector etc... Now that I have voided my warranty (yay!) what should I do next? I would like to get my data of off it, I'm pretty sure that the drive is functioning and that it was a case/power issue. I appreciate your help in advance.

Collapse -
Head over to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2008 11:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Opened it up...

Newegg.com and pick out a nice IDE USB 2.0 housing.

Collapse -
Problem solved
by animina / April 9, 2008 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Head over to

I just wanted to say thanks for the help. I went to Newegg and bought a Venus DS3, popped in the hard drive and was back in business in 5 mins. Thanks for helping me get my data back and saving $700 not to mention frustration. There is something to be said for DIY!

Collapse -
Thank you for the report.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2008 6:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem solved

Yes, you can save quite a bit in no time with just a little direction if you are willing.

You did all the work, I only pointed so all the kudos are yours.
Bob

Collapse -
How to tell if my drive is SATA or PATA?
by epastrana / April 15, 2008 3:05 PM PDT

I have E-X-A-C-T-L-Y the same problem and I would like to purchase the same case but in order to not complicate things, I would like to know how can I differentiate if my external hard drive is SATA or PATA?

I bought it new around 7 months ago and the only information that the label has is:

Model Maxtor Personal Storage 3200.

I know the capacity is 500 GB.

Do you think that if I buy the same case would save my data?

Thanks for your valuable input.

Emilio Pastrana

Collapse -
Looks like PATA
by VAPCMD / April 15, 2008 8:01 PM PDT
Collapse -
See link
by Dango517 / April 15, 2008 8:40 PM PDT

Scroll down to "Access and interfaces"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive

"Bridge circuitry is sometimes used to connect hard disk drives to buses that they cannot communicate with natively, such as IEEE 1394 and USB." Sourced from...Wikipedia.

It may not be SATA or PATA. I'd contact Maxtor directly or search there site again for the more information.

Collapse -
Looks like just ATA
by Dango517 / April 15, 2008 8:52 PM PDT
In reply to: See link

From wikipedia:

"FireWire/IEEE 1394 and USB(1.0/2.0) HDDs are external units containing generally ATA or SCSI disks with ports on the back allowing very simple and effective expansion and mobility"

See link above.

Dear moderators,

I believe that wikipedia is open source so the information I've provided is non-copy righted material and can be provided directly from it's source.

See link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copyrights

If I'm incorrect then delete it immediately.

Sincerely, dango517 Grin OXOXOX

Collapse -
Sadly that is not what I'm finding.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2008 10:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Looks like just ATA

I have seen both IDE (PATA) and SATA drives in the usual USB 2.0 enclosures. At least it's easy to tell the difference when I open the case up for inspection.

Collapse -
You maybe right
by Dango517 / April 15, 2008 11:24 PM PDT

You might want to straighten that out on Wikipedia. You can you know. I bet you have a lot you could share there. If you edit it let me know. Happy

Collapse -
Product specs clearly show ATA...what are you seeing
by VAPCMD / April 16, 2008 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: See link

that shows otherwise ?

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.