Computer Help forum

General discussion

New built System giving no signal

by sam1984 / September 13, 2008 9:18 PM PDT

Hi everybody,
I had the idea to build my own pc sometime ago so I bought all the necessary parts and installed them. However once I finished installing all of the parts and when trying to turn the pc on (for the first time) nothing happened!
I have a maximus II formula mobo , the only signal I have is when I switch the psu on. there's a ROG logo on the heatpipes which is illuminating and the Extreme X-Fi (sound card) logo illuminating as well. The start and reset buttons (the ones on the mobo) are illuminating as well as the CLR CMOS button.
The parts are as follows:
Intel Q9550
2*2Gb Corsair CM2X 6400C5 800 Mhz
Sapphire Ati Radeon hd4870
Velociraptor 300 gb
Pioneer dvdrom
Corsaire HX 1000W
and a Cosmos 1000 Case

The problem is that I am not hearing any bips (no sign from the bios)

Any help , hint, is very much appreciated, thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New built System giving no signal
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New built System giving no signal
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Power supply
by Whitecougar / September 14, 2008 12:18 PM PDT

Do you have you power plugged in properly.. Ther are two connectors that need to be connected

Collapse -
Yes
by sam1984 / September 14, 2008 4:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Power supply

I plugged the 24 pins and the 8 pins
In fact I tested the 24 pins connector I only found voltage at the STD BY and the PSON# connectors
The same for the molex connectors I found 0V on the 12V and 5V connectors
could it be the psu or is it normal since the pc is not running ?
Thx

Collapse -
If the power supply is not coming on
by lacsr / September 14, 2008 10:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes

It could be the switch on the case that signals the power supply to power up. Since this is a do it yourself build, do you have a signal coming back from the switch to tell the power supply to come on? You could try checking or "From the power supply wires coming from the power supply in the case to the MOBO, short the green wire to ground." This should cause the power supply to come on if it is OK.
A word of caution here, it is also possible to power the power supply with a tester made to accept the plugs from the power supply and test the various voltages without risk to the motherboard. They are available from various sources but here id an example:
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/525005/Antec-ATX12V-Power-Supply-Tester/

Collapse -
Mobo Start Button didn't work as well
by sam1984 / September 14, 2008 10:57 PM PDT

On the mobo there's a Reset and Start button, I tried them as well it didn't work.
In case it isn't the psu what could be the reason of such a problem?

Collapse -
If not the psu then it must be a bad board...
by Whitecougar / September 15, 2008 5:53 AM PDT

This is what Asus reccomends if the board doesn't boot..

1. Please clear CMOS.

2. Please take out your memory cards and video card, try to clean their golden connectors with a rubber, then reseat them back.

3. Please take the CPU cooler out, add some thermal paste to the CPU surface, then reseat the cooler back and keep the cooler tightly installed.

4. Please keep the necessary components(CPU, one memory) onboard for a test.

Finally, we would recommend you to replace a BIOS battery to have a test.

I would also Remove the processor and carefully reseat it to make sure it is seated properly in the socket.

If this doesn't help you might have to RMA the motherboard.

Collapse -
Awaiting the new psu
by sam1984 / September 15, 2008 6:25 AM PDT

Well I already saw those recommendations and tried to boot with only CPU + ram , same result.
I did RMA the psu, I am awaiting the new one, in case it doesn't work I'll do the same with the board.

Collapse -
I take it that you did not investigate
by lacsr / September 15, 2008 9:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Awaiting the new psu

the power supply tester that I mentioned. It would be a good investment and is inexpensive. You would then know what you are doing instead of blindly return parts.

Collapse -
no tool displayed
by Whitecougar / September 15, 2008 9:34 PM PDT

If the link worked for Sam1984 like it did for me then no tool is displayed. Even after I put in my postal code there is no tool to be found. He should be able to test the PSU with a run of the mill multimeter anyway, which I would assume he did to come to the conclusion about the power supply to the +5 and 12v rails being nil. Reading the posts on the Asus website it appears, to myself atleast, this board tends to give people lots of problems. And thats too bad because it would be a sweet motherboard to have..

Collapse -
I hope it"s not the mobo
by sam1984 / September 15, 2008 10:50 PM PDT
In reply to: no tool displayed

I got the new psu today, I 'll be able to test it this night (Paris Time).
Indeed it's a sweet motherboard to have (it just looks nice and the performances too) I hope it will work, otherwise I guess I am gonna take it back to the store and test it there and replace it in case it's faulty!
lacsr there was a problem with the psu, that's what the store technician told me.

Collapse -
Mother board defective
by sam1984 / September 16, 2008 11:19 PM PDT

In fact the motherboard was faulty they replaced it for me!
What a luck, a problem with both the mobo and the psu!!
I hope it will end here Happy

Anyway thx all for your help, I'll keep you updated in case something new happened.

Collapse -
great..
by Whitecougar / September 17, 2008 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Mother board defective

Glad yo got it sorted... should be a great system..

Collapse -
Thx
by sam1984 / September 17, 2008 2:21 AM PDT
In reply to: great..

I hope so, it should be a great system, thx for your ideas/efforts Whitecougar.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?