Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

New build XP/SCSI problem

by em2sqr / March 13, 2008 4:51 AM PDT

Trying to install XP oem on new build with Adaptec 29320 card. I've downloaded latest drivers but installation stops with a message that "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your system." I don't believe that the XP disc has SP 2 on it, could that be causing the problem?

System includes: Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe MB, AMD Phenom 9600 2.3 GHz CPU, 4 GB Corsair Twin 2X2048-8500C5D RAM, VGA Diamond 3870 video card, Adaptec 29320A SCSI card and Seagate 300 GB SCSI Cheetah 15k HD.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New build XP/SCSI problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New build XP/SCSI problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Early on in the setup ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 13, 2008 6:18 AM PDT

you should have got a screen to press F6 and install those SCSI drivers for mass storage.

You also need to ensure that you have jumpered (dip switch on a very few) the drive itself properly for its ID number. When you first boot you should be presented with a prompt to press some key (or key combo) to access the SCSI host controller for partitioning and low level formatting of the SCSI drive - have you?

Collapse -
Early on...
by em2sqr / March 13, 2008 7:24 AM PDT

I used the F6 when prompted and installed the drivers which I downloaded using a floppy disk. After this step is when I get the above message.

There are no jumpers on the HD and the ID shows as 0.

I formatted the drive using the host controller, however, I saw no mention of partitioning.

Collapse -
Early on...
by em2sqr / March 13, 2008 7:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Early on...

Forgot to mention that sometimes when I attempt to install as mentioned I get a message to "please wait" then nothing happens not even HD activity with activity lights on both the CD drive and floppy drive.

Collapse -
Check CMOS Setup
by Darton Fury / March 14, 2008 3:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Early on...

Check your CMOS settings. Sometimes you must set CMOS to boot SCSI before IDE.

Collapse -
Early on....
by em2sqr / March 15, 2008 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Check CMOS Setup

Thanks for the help but the board died yesterday and is being RMA'd. I hope that the SCSI card problem was with the board and will be solved with the replacement. If not, then back to that problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.